[WIP][1.12.x] Kitsune Career System: A custom tech tree and contract pack (maybe)

MoeKitsune

Welcome to the discussion/development thread for Kitsune Career System!

I've been wanting to make a tech tree mod for a while now, and despite the rapidly approaching Early Access release date of KSP2, I've decided to finally bite the bullet and start making one. All I have are some notes at the moment (which is why there's a maybe in the title) but thankfully @hemeac's old Kiwi Tech Tree is under an MIT license which I think allows me to use some of the work as long as I put the original license in with the mod (Would appreciate some help from those who are more license-savvy). Actual work will start tomorrow along with a much better first post, but for now here's what to expect:

• Probes-before-crew layout (Like Skyhawk Science System, KTT, and other mods)
  • Large amount of nodes to encourage travelling beyond the Mun and Minmus

Designing the tech tree mod was a lot of fun, but definitely a lot of work as well.  Take any code you find useful, but if you are just placing the parts and not modifying in any way, it may also be worthwhile to also look at something like _Zee's Probes Before Crew or theonegalen's Unkerballed Start.  Those were my initial inspiration and have a similar license.  I think to answer your question, if you copy "a lot" of code, just an acknowledgement is all that is necessary and the part that you've used should be under an MIT license, the stuff you write can be within whatever license you choose.  No need to officially acknowledge if you just use my tree as inspiration.

If you have a lot of experience with scripting in Excel, I created a tool to generate the code for sorting and you can find the version I had been tinkering with in the dev branch: kiwiTechTree/TechTree_270422.xlsx at dev · hemeac/kiwiTechTree (github.com)

If you are interested, send me a message and I can help provide some documentation for using it.

That would be best paired with a tool such as this which can dump a lot of part data into a csv file and should hopefully save you a lot of time in the long run 

• 2 months later...

God it's been a while. Let's start with what happened.

I've been feeling really demotivated to do much of anything in general, and TBH I haven't done anything on this. If I could get started I think I could finish it, but that's where my problem lies: starting work on the mod. Considering KSP2's been out for a while, I'm considering waiting until Career released there along with CTT for KSP2, and making this mod for the sequel. I think it would be best for me in my current situation, so unfortunately the KSP1 version of the mod is probably not happening.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.