Keys rebinding not working

Hi. I got the issue (BÉPO layout, it's worse ;p).

In my case, some keys cannot be mapped at all, the popup just closes and nothing happens, but it works for a lot of keys I tried. In my case, the most problematic one was mapping the key « E » (even if I try to switch to qwerty layout, so something is weird there).

The only workaround I found was to edit the file

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\Intercept Games\Kerbal Space Program 2\Global\InputBindings.json

And carefully read it to find wich control I want to change, and assign it the QWERTY equivalent key (that can be tricky).

eg.

"{\"bindings\":[{\"action\":\"Flight/Pitch\",\"id\":\"27397e14-6a24-4bbf-8830-e3cc4ad3db69\",\"path\":\"<Keyboard>/e\",\"interactions\":\"\",\"processors\":\"\"},{\"action\":\"Flight/Pitch\",\"id\":\"1eff4572-25e9-4520-bd55-07a5f4415db3\",\"path\":\"<Keyboard>/d\",\"interactions\":\"\",\"processors\":\"\"}]}"

In that example, the first action Flight/Pitch would be "pitch up", and if you look a bit further, the instruction `path : <Keyboard>/e` assigns it to the key "e" (the qwerty key I want to use on my layout).

After doing that, I can launch the game, go to key assignments, change any other assignment, and then my new key assignment works (don't know why I need that last step, but that's all I get for now).

I hope that helps you. I know that's not intuitive. I sent the devs a feedback about that. Let's hope they will fix that (and that it will show the keys in our current layout, not in a qwerty equivalent layout)

I must add that on that file you only see keys that you have already bound. So you may have to bind them to any key in order to change them afterwards.

And of course, when you are manipulating files you shouldn't, always save them before doing a mistake, don't be a kerbal there ;p

Edited by Baleine

In my case some bindings works, some don't.

For example the key 'e' cannot be bound from the game settings but needs to be bound through the "InputBindings.json" file.

When any key, including the 'e' key is rebound to action in the VAB, it works fine, but no change made to the flight control have any effect in game.

For anyone interested... I mostly stopped ripping my hair out with the camera controls in the VAB

I used AutoHotKey (it's free, I used the 1.x version) and wrote a script that quasi works well...

How quasi? 
Mmmm.... 7
*Archer fans should appreciate...

Here is how I mapped mine:

The Numpad + (plus) = Zooms Camera In

The Numpad - (minus) = Zooms Camera Out

Left and Right Arrow = Rotates/Pitches Camera when used in conjunction with the mouse (or trackball in my case).
Up and Down Arrow =  Strafes (for lack of better term)  Up and Down when used in conjunction with the mouse.

*There is no "Strafe Left/Right/Up/Down" binding in KSP2 that I have found (If you know of one, please let me know...) so this will have to do, and actually isn't terrible.

Writing the script is very simple and here is what I came up with.  Once you Youtube a video tutorial for AutoHotKey this will make more sense to you. Takes just a couple mins.

NumpadAdd::WheelUp
NumpadSub::WheelDown
Up::MButton
Down::MButton
Left::RButton
Right::RButton

I hope this helps!

Fly Safe! There Be Krackens Ahead...

On 2/25/2023 at 4:11 AM, Saphi said:

Can I rebind the Aero GUI somehow?

It cannot be remapped in-game, however you can edit the InputBindings.json to add it manually. The file can be found in: 

%localappdata%low\Intercept Games\Kerbal Space Program 2\Global

The file should end with }]}".  After the first of the two curly brackets, add a comma, and paste in the following:

{\"action\":\"ToggleAeroGUI\",\"id\":\"1411ef0d-0b4c-4d4a-8d07-a23d96dea6d2\",\"path\":\"<Keyboard>/f11\",\"interactions\":\"\",\"processors\":\"\"}

In this example, I've bound it to F11, though you can choose any other key that the game supports. If you're unsure what to type for special keys, you can always bind something to that key in-game, then check this file after applying.

It seems (some?) custom bindings aren't loaded on game launch, so every time you launch the game you'll need to go to the Input settings and click the Apply button.

• 1 month later...
On 2/24/2023 at 11:08 PM, Baleine said:

Hi. I got the issue (BÉPO layout, it's worse ;p).

In my case, some keys cannot be mapped at all, the popup just closes and nothing happens, but it works for a lot of keys I tried. In my case, the most problematic one was mapping the key « E » (even if I try to switch to qwerty layout, so something is weird there).

The only workaround I found was to edit the file

And carefully read it to find wich control I want to change, and assign it the QWERTY equivalent key (that can be tricky).

eg.

"{\"bindings\":[{\"action\":\"Flight/Pitch\",\"id\":\"27397e14-6a24-4bbf-8830-e3cc4ad3db69\",\"path\":\"<Keyboard>/e\",\"interactions\":\"\",\"processors\":\"\"},{\"action\":\"Flight/Pitch\",\"id\":\"1eff4572-25e9-4520-bd55-07a5f4415db3\",\"path\":\"<Keyboard>/d\",\"interactions\":\"\",\"processors\":\"\"}]}"

In that example, the first action Flight/Pitch would be "pitch up", and if you look a bit further, the instruction `path : <Keyboard>/e` assigns it to the key "e" (the qwerty key I want to use on my layout).

After doing that, I can launch the game, go to key assignments, change any other assignment, and then my new key assignment works (don't know why I need that last step, but that's all I get for now).

I hope that helps you. I know that's not intuitive. I sent the devs a feedback about that. Let's hope they will fix that (and that it will show the keys in our current layout, not in a qwerty equivalent layout)

@Baleine
Hi fellow BÉPOist!
It seems that since patch 1.2.0 (perhaps 1.1.0, I did not test this one), some parts of the key binding has been fixed. At least, I don't have to assign the QWERTY equivalent key, but the BÉPO key in `InputBindings.json`. But now, I'm struck as I would like to have `é` mapped for pitch down. Did you find which keyword to enter in `InputBindings.json` for accentuated letters?

Thanks!

• 10 months later...

Just updated my PD version (downloaded full client) yesterday, Feb 15, 2024.
QWERTY user here, with a clean install on Windows 11.

I cannot rebind 'E'.  every bind I try to use 'E' winds up entering 'D'.

Also mentioned here:

Edited by Shaggygoblin