Rapid Disassembly Cube

Chrishna

Ahoy support team,

while trying to build  a low profile lander with radially attached engines, I had some... 'interesting' behaviour of the craft, once it was put on the launchpad.

The base of what I built was an MK1 Explorer lander to which I radially attached four ST-Micro1 Struts, followed by a TMP-XS hub. Inside VAB
Whenever this combination of parts touches the launchpad, the TMP-XS immediately detaches, along with everything else that was radially attached to the lander can!? Outside VAB
This was reproducable when starting the craft from scratch.

• KSP Version: 0.1.0.0.20892
  • Operating System: Windows 10
  • CPU: Ryzen 3950X 
  • GPU: RTX 2070 Super
  • Expected Behavior:
    •  No disassembly on the launchpad or appropriate renaming of the TMP-XS Multipoint-Connector ;)

i built my ship. took it to a landing pad. falls into pieces. i put launch structures on it so it doesnt touch the pad, take it to launch pad, ship is intact but game thinks it died. take launch structures off and we are back to the ship falling apart for no reason.

in my case

9 minutes ago, talon jasra said:

Are you by chance radially attaching parts to a ST-Micro-1 Truss? If so then that maybe the culprit.

In my case, i had radially attached parts to the biggest radial decoupler, but i then removed them and my ship was still instantly falling apart.

On 2/26/2023 at 10:10 AM, talon jasra said:

Are you by chance radially attaching parts to a ST-Micro-1 Truss? If so then that maybe the culprit.

Glad I found this specific thread. I think I do have the Micro truss in there, I'll check to see if that's a hold down point for anything. I'm more confused by the little dots.

Here's what's going on with my vehicle:

• KSP Version - 0.1.0.0.20892
  • Operating System and version  (Windows 10, Windows 11) - Windows 10
  • CPU and GPU models, any other system information which could be relevant
    • CPU: i9-10885H
    • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 with Max-Q Design (laptop)
  • Description of the bug.  
    • Expected Behavior - vroom vroom
    • Observed Behavior - boom boom
  • Steps to Replicate - load ship
  • Fixes / Workarounds (if known..) - none at this time
  • A list of ALL mods.  If the list is long, please consider using a spoiler window.
  • Other Notes / Screenshots / Log Files (if possible..)

I tested some more as well and to me it seems to be the hubs that trigger the problem, albeit in slightly different patterns.
For example the girder version of the micro hub would stay attached to the micro strut, but everything else I attached to the hub would detach on the launchpad (again including all other parts radially attached to the lander can).

I'm afraid we're scratching on the surface of something bigger here. I've seen videos of spontaneously detaching landing legs which seemed to enter the same zombie state as the solar panels in my lander can experiment (aka tumbling about in physics- and collision-denying circles).

Edited by Chrishna

KSP2 0.1.0.0.20892   -   Windows 10 Home 21H2   -   Ryzen 9 3950X   -   RTX 2080 Ti (Driver 528.49)

Example of affected bigger craft (note colored dots and parts on the floor):

Spoiler

u2SaI8m.jpg

Minimal Examples with ST-Micro-1 (note that it's floating, while the rest of the parts have fallen down):

Spoiler

UDQ28v4.jpg

4pEEwlc.jpg

Examples of what these should look like, using ST-XS-1 instead (which is not affected):

Spoiler

iecF9Ob.jpg

wofcRj4.jpg

Edited by Draradech

+1

Happened because I wanted to dot the wings of my experimental VTOL with circular subsonic intakes rather than have the fugly radial subsonic intakes dangling fuggily off the fuselages and wings, and to do that I used these. Same result as you. Deleted and rebuilt every wing, took my craft apart to single out the perpetrator, point being this part is definitely the problem from the bit of research I did diagnosing my own craft. Maybe a tool was left on and that's what the dev-overlay looking dots are about. That's just speculation though, I just think those dots look too artificial to be a random artefact.

Reproduced:

• KSP Version - 0.1.0.0.20892
  • Operating System and version  - Windows 11
  • CPU and GPU models - Intel core i5 12600KF / NVIDIA GeFroce RTX 3080
  • Description of the bug.  
    • Expected Behavior - Rocket stays together
    • Observed Behavior - Dots appear, and radially attached part falls off of rocket.
  • Steps to Replicate - Radially attach part to ST Micro 1, launch craft.
  • Fixes / Workarounds (if known..) Do not radially attach to part
  • A list of ALL mods - None
  • Other Notes: See image in spoiler. 
Spoiler

an5AavM.jpg

SM