VAB - Ship loads under the floor / outside of VAB

acsokis

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2939884484

VAB - Ship loads under the floor / outside of VAB

Ship and most of its parts loading everytime under the floor.

• KSP 2 current ver on Steam
  • Operating System Windows 11
  • VAB - Ship loads under the floor / outside of VAB. Quiting re-load, merge etc. nothing helps
  • Sometimes after save
  • No mods installed
  • See the screenshot on my steam profile.
Edited by acsokis

I also encountered this bug. Here is a more detailed report of it:

Version: Feb 24 release
Hardware: ROG Zephyrus G14, RTX 3060 mobile, Ryzen 9 5900HS, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM

Bug:
Observed behavior: When reverting to VAB or loading certain craft files, the craft will sink partially below the VAB, and almost all parts will be missing top and bottom attachment nodes (craft will be seperated into individual parts (radial attachment is retained though)). If you zoom in too far on the craft, it can teleport outside the VAB.
Expected behavior: for the craft to remain in the center of the VAB with all parts connected when loading a saved craft.

Steps to replicate: Build a craft that has 4 fuel tanks around a central fuel tank. Attach engine plates to the bottom of all (may work with just the 4 outer) tanks. On the 4 surrounding "booster" plates, place vector engines in 3 way symmetry (make sure it places 3 engines on each of the 4 plates for a total of 12 engines). I also placed vector engines in 4 way symmetry on the central tank (I'm not sure if this contributes). Launch the craft and then revert to VAB. The craft will now be stuck under the ground.

Fixes/workarounds:
Don't use engine plates on boosters if you don't want to have to rebuild your rocket every time you revert to VAB or load a saved craft.

Notes:

The video shows a few other bugs and effects of this major bug.

It's similar to the "ghost parts" bug where parts will not attach to other parts. ("Ghost parts" bug can also cause craft teleportation and lagging)

Parts remain in rocket stack, but don't have top and bottom nodes (with the exception of parts that have nodes that were not connected in the original craft).

Parts still have radial attachment nodes and can be attached radially to other parts.

Engine shrouds still remain on engines even though decouplers are not attached. 

I also have this bug, it seems to do it while I'm using HECS2 it works fine until I add led lights and it just did it again when I added struts I cant speak for other control vessels but this hasn't happened with the tin can yet Just HECS2

v. 0.1.20892

https://imgur.com/a/Chjau6M

Msi gf65 thin 

Machine name: MSI

Operating System: Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621)

System Manufacturer: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
             System Model: GF65 Thin 10SDR
                     BIOS: E16W1IMS.50C (type: UEFI)
                Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz (12 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
                   Memory: 16384MB RAM
      Available OS Memory: 16204MB RAM
                Page File: 27162MB used, 3412MB available
              Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
          DirectX Version: DirectX 12

User DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
       System DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
          DWM DPI Scaling: UnKnown
                 Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Supported
 DirectX Database Version: 1.4.5
           DxDiag Version: 10.00.22621.0001 64bit Unicode

KSP2 Version: 0.1.0.0.20892
Operating System: Windows 11
CPU,GPU and RAM: i9 9900KF, RTX 2060 (6GB VRAM), 32GB RAM 
Mods: 0
Description of the bug:

Very oftens when loading the ship into the VAB it appears below the ground, resulting in you never being able to retrieve that ship for editing or launching again, even by restarting the game or loading previous saves. And in several cases it removes almost all the pieces of the ship.

Image:

https://imgur.com/a/MVA63Xs

Edited by Diego_

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a report updated for Patch 1:

Version: Feb 24 release and Patch 1
Hardware: ROG Zephyrus G14, RTX 3060 mobile, Ryzen 9 5900HS, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM
Mods: none

Bug:
Observed behavior: When reverting to VAB or loading craft files that contain parts in certain symmetry combinations, the craft will sink partially below the VAB, and almost all parts will be missing top and bottom attachment nodes (radial attachment is retained though). If you zoom in too far on the craft, it can teleport outside the VAB or cause a lag spike and a graphics glitch (I'm not sure if the visual glitch or teleportation still occurs with patch 1 since I originally tested all this pre-patch. However, this problem was never mentioned in the patch 1 notes). The main bug still occurs in both patch 1 and pre-patch KSP2 releases.
Expected behavior: for the craft to remain in the center of the VAB with all parts connected when loading a saved craft with a certain type of symmetry combination.

Steps to replicate: Build a craft that has 4 fuel tanks radially mounted in 4 way symmetry around a central fuel tank. Attach engines (for example, vector engines) on the bottoms of the 4 surrounding "booster" tanks in 3 way symmetry (3 engines on each of the 4 plates for a total of 12 engines). Launch the craft and then revert to VAB. The craft will now be stuck under the ground and separated into parts that have no top or bottom attachment nodes.

Fixes/workarounds:
Only use certain symmetry combinations when building multiple-engine boosters or things that require a part to have radial symmetry around a part that was created with radial symmetry.
Do not make multi-engine boosters

Notes:
It seems like this bug occurs when the two symmetry numbers have a certain relation to each other. (For example, 4 and 3 (a symmetry combination that triggers the bug) are relatively prime)
Video of effects of bug (recorded pre-patch, but effects of bug are very similar if not the same): 

Video of replication of bug (recorded pre-patch, but this replication still works in patch 1):

Related bugs:
Parts can flip 180 degrees when attached to other parts in certain ways (has occurred in patch 1 KSP2)
Parts can lose top and/or bottom attachment nodes during assembly in the VAB. (Not 100% sure if this has been patched (but it's not in the patch notes))
Craft can teleport outside VAB during assembly (Not 100% sure if this has been patched (but it's not in the patch notes))