An Open Letter from the KSP1 mod developer community to the KSP2 player base and development team.

Poodmund

On 2/4/2024 at 7:40 PM, Moh1336 said:

I honestly think it is short sighted to think it's a good idea for the devs to work on modding tools and compatibility at this stage of development.

Right now the game is in a very unfinished state hence it being an Early Access title, things are constantly being changed/updated/added/fixed. Releasing and supporting mod tools right now should not be a priority by any stretch of the imagination. When things settle down and become more stable and the end of EA is in sight, then setting time aside to looking the modding side would make perfect sense. Right now is simply not a logical thing to do. Let the devs focus their time where it is truly needed.

On 3/1/2023 at 8:30 PM, Poodmund said:

Furthermore, there are currently a significant number of bugs present in the game that must be addressed before modding can commence in earnest. The fixing of these bugs may affect the API, making it difficult or even impossible for modders to create content that is stable and compatible with the game, potentially disrupting player experience. We challenge the development team to prioritize the resolution of these bugs so that mod developers can work with a stable and reliable platform.

As addressed above, we appreciate that there are many significant bugs and performance issues currently in the released version of the game that are affecting player experience and gameplay. We feel that these should remain the focus of development to ‘fix’ the game for the core audience.

And that is exactly what was said in the OP

Anyway, this whole statement of feeling/concern was expressed almost a year ago now. The sentiment has not changed as the state of KSP2 has not changed all that much. The recent posts here are not really on topic for what the thread was intended for. Lets let sleeping dogs lie, eh? For now...

Personally I am very happy with the current state of KSP2 modding. Some people have voluntarily done a huge amount of work to create these essential frameworks for the rest of us. I wanted to add a localization mod on day one, along with someone else I met, and we found this seemed impossible with the asset bundles.

I worked on a proof of concept extensively in KSP while learning how to program, however porting it into KSP2 was a lot harder than expected. Before this I also modded a Unity IL2CPP game, which is obscure and some even claim "impossible" (it's not), but I think KSP2 has been more challenging to mod than that. KSP modders will find that a lot has changed in the backend of KSP2, to support new features like multiplayer, background processing, etc, but that is part of the fun of reverse engineering, if you want to call it that.

It seems that many people forget this is volunteer work, modders aren't paid developers, and one would hope that users would appreciate whatever is offered and try not to demand and expect things. KSP modders already contributed a huge amount as well, and I learned how to program following those examples. I think this deserves its reputation as one of the best modding communities around.