Wobbly SAS in planes - workaround

Norcu

I think the problem with the SAS  shaking the plane apart is based in the dual use of large surfaces as both roll and pitch control.

As soon as there is a little roll induced, those make overcorrections when having input in both axis (and there is nearly always some Pitch Input) that destabilise pitch and roll simultaneously, leading to the runaway of control.

I’ve reduced this problem by a large margin in just splitting those in two distinct surfaces, the big elevators solely for the pitch, and on the wingtips a separate small wing with a small aileron for roll (cave: if that is too big/has too much authority, it will reintroduce the problem) (the roll on the rudder should be switched off too) 

tldr: Three separate surfaces for the three axis of control, roll as small as possible and on the wing tip. 

Edited by Norcu

You can also press capslock to enable fine control, it affects SAS as well as manual controls. Don't forget to turn it off after leaving the atmosphere though. But you're right,  it's best to separate control authority onto different wings anyway. 

1 hour ago, Mutex said:

Basically you can mitigate the issue by reducing pitch authority, which is effectively what you're doing here. You can also reduce the maximum angle of control surfaces.

I’d say limiting roll authority is the most important, I never had problems with large pitch authority as long as the same large surface didn’t input roll. Sometimes the tiny ailerons keep flapping, but because they are so small the plane keeps flying straight and only rolls with a somewhat sustained input on the surface. 

25 minutes ago, Norcu said:

I’d say limiting roll authority is the most important, I never had problems with large pitch authority as long as the same large surface didn’t input roll. Sometimes the tiny ailerons keep flapping, but because they are so small the plane keeps flying straight and only rolls with a somewhat sustained input on the surface. 

That's possible yes, roll requires less energy usually so it's probably more sensitive.

On 3/4/2023 at 7:24 PM, Norcu said:

I think the problem with the SAS  shaking the plane apart is based in the dual use of large surfaces as both roll and pitch control.

As soon as there is a little roll induced, those make overcorrections when having input in both axis (and there is nearly always some Pitch Input) that destabilise pitch and roll simultaneously, leading to the runaway of control.

I’ve reduced this problem by a large margin in just splitting those in two distinct surfaces, the big elevators solely for the pitch, and on the wingtips a separate small wing with a small aileron for roll (cave: if that is too big/has too much authority, it will reintroduce the problem) (the roll on the rudder should be switched off too) 

tldr: Three separate surfaces for the three axis of control, roll as small as possible and on the wing tip. 

I agree.  I’ve been using advanced controls and setting ailerons to roll only, elevators to pitch only, and rudder to yaw only, and getting zero flap.  Then I built a very 1950s single engine delta winged design, with ailerons set to roll and pitch, and got flap.

You can turn off the reaction wheels. This will help a lot with the flappy planes. Also, trim your planes or design them with where they require little trimming. 

This is related to the SAS torque bug. It seems that the reaction torque is being applied 90° from prograde. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.