Undo and revert to VAB leaves ship stuck in the ground in the VAB and destroys the save. This should be the number 1 bug to be repaired.

B15hop

This is happening to me so much that it is single handedly ruining the game for me. I uninstalled KSP2, deleted all folders, including appdata ones and reinstalled fyi.

When I am building a ship in the VAB, if I use the Undo feature, the ship can be sucked into the ground and every piece becomes an individual piece with no way to reattach them, completely destroying the ship and the save file for that ship.

The same thing can happen when reverting to the VAB from a launch. 

This has destroyed almost every single ship I have tried to make at some point or another and has costed me hours and hours of lost time. I spend 2 hours on builds or more sometimes. Then poof.. Gone.

I build it again from nothing.. The hours later.. Poof.. Destroyed again and the save file for it becomes useless because it reverts to a ship that is stuck in the ground and all the attachment nodes are broken.

This should be the number one priority to fix right now hands down IMO. No other bug aggravates me worse.

Please, please, please.. Fix it first.

• KSP Version:      0.1.1.0
  • Operating System and version:       (Windows 11 22H2)
  • CPU and GPU models)      i9 13900k, RTX 4090, Arous master Z790 Mobo, 64GB Gskill DDR5 6000, 4TB Samsung 980pro SSD.
  • Description of the bug: 
    • Expected Behavior:       Not to destroy the save and the ship.
    • Observed Behavior:       Ship gets stuck up to the control module, under the ground in the VAB. All parts become individual assetts and lose connection to to ship.  Connection nodes become broken or disappear, making reassembling the ship impossible.   All saves related to that ship become corrupted in the same way. Loading them brings you into the VAB with the ship in the same condition.
  • Steps to Replicate:        Build a ship. Revert to VAB from the launchpad or use the Undo feature enough times and it will happen.
  • Fixes / Workarounds:      I have been saving backups of the entire Appdata folder but have not been able to verify if it's a valid work around yet. Possibly not reverting to the VAB and instead always exiting to main menu and loading might help as well. Never use the Undo feature.
  • Also, it appears Data execution prevention or DEP in windows settings gives me a warning when I attempt to open the folders in appdata for this game, so it may be causing some kind of difficulties for the game when it's trying to write to files in those directories. I just disabled DEP and I wil see if that helps.
  • A list of ALL mods:        It happens modded and unmodded. I tested it both ways, even with the community fixes mod including the save fix mod.
  • Other Notes / Screenshots / Log Files (if possible..):        Fast forward to 32:40 in the video. This happened to me three times yesterday and corrupted every ship I made even after reinstalling the game and deleting every folder and file related to the game, including the appdata folder. Just before this video I had another live stream that I deleted which ended the same way and the ship after this one, did the same thing.
  • I did look at the Json afterwards though and it seems everything went to a NULL status. Connections, parts, etc.
Edited by B15hop

2 hours ago, SimonTheSkink said:

I'm having a very similar issue. I will create a ship and if I jump back to the VAB the entire ship is buried in the VAB ground. Every part is separate for me as well and completely breaks the save file for that ship.

It's making me crazy. I was live streaming and every single time I build a ship this happens. Sometimes soon, sometimes hours into it.

Every single ship I have built has ended up being completely destroyed because of this bug. It is by far, the worst bug that exists IMO. 

Yea, It would be ok if it didn't kill the save file but nope.. That's dead too.

Yeah, this just happened to me after the patch.  Managed to land and takeoff from moon without much difficulty or bugs.  Thus I was tempted to build a largish rocket to tour the system.  Little did I know the hardest part would be leaving the VAB

I admittedly did use the naughty undo button many times, and even after much consideration and study succumbed to the the temptation of using the extra naughty redo.  Somehow though the rocket assembly remined above ground as would be expected in normal times before the Kraken made it into the VAB.  I was able to launch the monstrosity but decided to go back to VAB to fix the noodling.  Big Mistake!  In the VAB the saved rocked is 95% below ground and I cannot select the whole assembly.    There are like 3 or 4 saves of this rocket for whatever reason and all have this issue despite not having this issue when saved. 

It's a game within a game!  Not a game for me though.  Cant' even get to launch pad...

I do enjoy the fuel transfer mini game as well.  Have to click and watch buttons unclick.  If you get win the Kraken will spin the ship out of control!

• KSP Version: 0.1.1.021572
  • Operating System: Windows12
  • CPU and GPU: 386DX, Nvidia NV1
  • Description of the bug: The rocket moves mostly below ground level in the save file.  Cannot select it and bring it above ground level.
    • Expected Behavior: Rocket remains at the same height as when constructed.
    • Observed Behavior: Rocket below ground
  • Steps to Replicate: Unknown, only happened to me with a very tall assembly.
  • Fixes / Workarounds: KSP3
  • A list of ALL mods: unmodded/stock

Yeah man, it sucks.  You put all of this hard work in and then poof, everything is gone and completely unrecoverable and every single save file related to that craft is corrupted.

i’ve gotten to the point that I started copying the entire KSP directory in appdata as I make progress to have some back ups. I’m not even sure if that will help though. I haven’t got to test it yet.

it’s not just very tall ships though. It’s happened to me on very average sized ships as well.

10 hours ago, SimonTheSkink said:

@B15hopim curious if a certain part configuration is doing this. Could you share your ship file with me? 

I've deleted those configs but if it happens again, I will. I was thinking the same thing. Maybe some specific parts could be responsible but I have been trying other parts as well.

So far the only constant I see are large fuel tanks in the build similarities.

1 hour ago, B15hop said:

I've deleted those configs but if it happens again, I will. I was thinking the same thing. Maybe some specific parts could be responsible but I have been trying other parts as well.

So far the only constant I see are large fuel tanks in the build similarities.

That’s what was happening for me as well. I was using the super large spherical hydrogen tanks.

50 minutes ago, SimonTheSkink said:

That’s what was happening for me as well. I was using the super large spherical hydrogen tanks.

I was using all kinds of large methanox tanks. Oval and odd shapes. Happened both times.

you can clearly see that there is something messed up in the code because just moving parts around and watching them clip through the ship your building makes the full assembly that you’re dragging around just go bonkers. Axis that are joined invert and move around and it just mangels everything.

Idk… 

Well I tried to make my ship just a bit different so I could get it into space and it worked! I finally got into space and defeated the VAB floor demon!... And then when I got into my stable orbit I realized the game deleted my main ship I was assembling in LKO.

So yeah, I am not playing this game for a while. Saying I am frustrated is an understatement after hours of work flushed down the toilet.

1 hour ago, SimonTheSkink said:

Well I tried to make my ship just a bit different so I could get it into space and it worked! I finally got into space and defeated the VAB floor demon!... And then when I got into my stable orbit I realized the game deleted my main ship I was assembling in LKO.

So yeah, I am not playing this game for a while. Saying I am frustrated is an understatement after hours of work flushed down the toilet.

Sorry man, I feel your pain. When you try to open the save file folders in app data do you also get a windows security warning? Just curious. I turned off DEP. data execution prevention. Idk, may of been messing with the save file, blocking windows access to it. Haven’t had a chance to fully test it. May or may not help. Running as admin now also.

And I’m saving multiple backups of the whole ksp2 folder in app data to see if it helps. Who knows..

Edited by B15hop

19 hours ago, B15hop said:

Sorry man, I feel your pain. When you try to open the save file folders in app data do you also get a windows security warning? Just curious. I turned off DEP. data execution prevention. Idk, may of been messing with the save file, blocking windows access to it. Haven’t had a chance to fully test it. May or may not help. Running as admin now also.

And I’m saving multiple backups of the whole ksp2 folder in app data to see if it helps. Who knows..

If you are referring to "AppData\LocalLow\Intercept Games\Kerbal Space Program 2\Saves\SinglePlayer\InsertSaveFileNameHere" then no, I do not have any Windows Security warnings coming up.

Idk, things are currently a mess. It's a bit better than it was before the patch but it still has a ways to go. I'm just hoping the devs pick up on this soon on the next patch coming up. Sorry, I feel your pain too in all this.

14 hours ago, SimonTheSkink said:

If you are referring to "AppData\LocalLow\Intercept Games\Kerbal Space Program 2\Saves\SinglePlayer\InsertSaveFileNameHere" then no, I do not have any Windows Security warnings coming up.

Idk, things are currently a mess. It's a bit better than it was before the patch but it still has a ways to go. I'm just hoping the devs pick up on this soon on the next patch coming up. Sorry, I feel your pain too in all this.

Ahh, ok. And I agree they are a complete mess in so many game breaking ways. I’m just holding out hope that they will fix it. They put a lot of time into that first patch so fingers crossed.

Here's a workaround:

1. Instead of "Revert to VAB" select "Revert to launch"
  2. Once back at launch exit to the space center
  3. Right-click on the launch pad and recover the vessel
  4. Now when you reload your vehicle in the VAB it won't be stuck in the floor and it will be intact.