Massive Instability / Performance Loss after opening Parts Manager during a Burn.

JoeSchmuckatelli

This is going to need more testing.  Was in the middle of trying to circularize my LKO, had a sustainer burning and the Burn Timer showed I would need to do a stage change in the burn.  Forgot what engine I had on there - so while it was burning and I was watching the timer, I RtClicked on the engine.  Game did a major stutter.  Massive lag which seemed to slow performance of the whole system.

Closed out and looking at my vessel in Flight View showed me burning away from the planet (should have been relatively parallel to the surface).  I just let the whole thing run out - and when the timer said to quit burning, I quit.  Switch to Map... and the orbit - which had started out with an AP of 100 now had an AP of 80km and a PE of 65.  (Like, how does an AP burn drop both AP and PE?  ... Something wasn't right).

But the game was still working.  So I cleared the node - went to PE and raised AP back to 100 and repeated the process at AP to raise my new 80km PE up to 100.  

Time Warp to Burn.

Getting close - the timer/warp is limited to 3x for some reason, and thinking all was well and the game had just hiccupped...

Ship disappears; with my least favorite 'feature' taking up half the screen telling me it was destroyed.

Moral?  Don't hit PM while burning in Map View.  At least until they fixit.

Parts manager is just the worst.  I need a script that will let me watch TV for a while until parts manager pops up so I can immediately close it again.  I like how sometimes it will just decide to pop up to ruin your day with the slowness in the VAB or while flying.  Great feature.

edit:

Also maybe you guys can make the font even a few sizes larger in the parts manager so you could see it from LEO?

edit 2:

Have you noticed it REALLY likes to pop up when your vehicle is failing or self destructing due to other bugs in the game?  It never pops up when you a build a vehicle that lacks all ambition like the stock vehicles.

edit 3:

I am convinced the entire game is an elaborate ruse to punish creative people.

Edited by Jason_25

the entire UI concept is a misconcept - for such panels as "part manager" - it should work differently in a simulation like KSP2 - as a developer, you create your pane on canvas on loading lunchpad or flight from savegame, populate it with current data and keep it hidden until Player elects to show it - yes, updating data on each frame for variables of that UI elements - this overhead is smaller than trying to create and populate this UI element during several frames (as it does now) - imagine the Player needs to actualy use this UI element in limited time - is it useable now? no - hence, this needs major rewrite

I've written before that the current PM should be available if you want to click on the icon at the bottom of the screen... But RtClick on a part should just pull up the part in a small, polite window.  Not the full honking space hog it currently is. 

The biggest complaint, however, is that it's an enormous resource drain.

I made a 175 part craft and you could count the seconds it takes to open the report. 

Part Manager is always quite slow to open, when it is just a list of text and buttons: the corresponding information should be calculated when the vessel is in the scene, and not when we open the Part Manager

• 4 weeks later...

Still seeing all the parts manager bugs with Patch 2.  I would like to add that parts manager opens randomly when moving around the vehicle not just with a right click.  It should not be opening with the scroll wheel?  It should not terminate the mission due to added physics bugs and awesome low fps contributing to what I call punishment protocol?