Yet another failed day...

The Destroyer

Hows your luck?  

1. 1. Hows your luck?

• AWSOME MAN! I GOT TO ALL OF THEM! SOOOOO EASY!
    • Well, not bad. Mostly good
    • Not having the best of times, but i get through.
    • Man, all my missions just fail. Sticking to the M&Ms by kerbin.

Have you been having luck with ksp?

I havent.

So, Itried to send the rover to mars today, in honour of curosity. Unfortenatly, the staging was wrong.

I then tried to get to jool all was well, untill i started timewarping to wait for laythe to catch up to me.

I missed it twice.

2ma491.png

Then, the third time flung me out of jool.

fp95g.png

Then, i tried landing. The surface was like a trampoline, and each time the rover jumped, somthing exploded, untill the entire thing exploded.

2cpexd3.png

I was even trying the kosmos pack, but i found I'd always build unstable rockets that just exploded at some time.

5d75f8.png

Atleast the dragon worked... on minimus, atleast.

2aaitf7.png

So far, this has demotivated me from going to other planets anymore. I will just stick to small bases on mun/minimus.

Maybe ill have some change of luck. Like the jebcorp sphere, It was good, but no kerbals in it. The whole purpose I try to go to planets anymore is to EVA or Rove around.

*sigh*

Hows your luck?

I'm doing pretty well with Duna/Ike (landed 6, brought back 5), I can get to some others but not land (Moho's heat blows up engines, Gilly is bugged), I've landed on Eve but haven't tried to get back from it yet, and my missions to the Jool vicinity aren't going so well. The one ship I managed to get out there was eaten by a glitch, and I apparently screwed up the math and my other attempt ran out of gas halfway there. So, not terrible, but not great.

Usually I am the bomb, but lately my missions have fallen flat more often than not. Hoping a Duna return mission with rover drop off, single stage to Eve test and a new massive Eve space station mission I have planned will revitalize me after a horrible crash on Duna, missing Jool with a planned Laythe base and the failure of the impactinator.

My luck in general has been good.

As for visiting planets, I have been getting around. I have enjoyed the learning curve but it is hard work, sometimes frustrating. For example each launch window to Duna is a little different due to the eccentricity.

I play without mods, autosave or joystick and well, after figuring out how to build a rocket to achieve orbit, I orbitet moon in one mission. After that I landed on the moon in another mission and got back without problems. Then I tried to land on minmus, but crashed due to the low gravity. I could have come back, but my main engine was separated from the landing pot :D. But on the second try it worked nearly perfectly.

When I transported my main PC to my new location, I will try to fly to another planet.

I remember I sent an atmospheric probe to Eve. I don't know who or what was smiling down on me on that one mission, but everything went so perfectly that even though I knew that the transfer stage wouldn't have enough fuel left for big corrections, I still managed to make it without any trouble. Took pictures, found out the planet's gravity, tested the density of the atmosphere. Mission success. However, since then I've never been able to do that again as every mission from then on would have a random problem, like the parachutes would fail to deploy (pretty sure it's a bug, and it's ANNOYING), or I would miss the planet and I'd run out of fuel doing corrections. It's really disheartening.

Well I got to mun and minmus in 0.17, have some space junk around Kerbol, I had a jool and duna encounter, both missed because Either: No fuel, Jool. Or fuel lines fail, Duna. So I'm a Person that is far behind!

Lucky you, I'm still sending missions to the Mun currently and I haven't landed any of them safely as of yet (only 2 missions).

I'm definitely going to head to Minmus after that though and everyone will probably be doing some other crazy thing while I'm still being frustrated about missing Duna all the time.

Lucky you, I'm still sending missions to the Mun currently and I haven't landed any of them safely as of yet (only 2 missions).

I'm definitely going to head to Minmus after that though and everyone will probably be doing some other crazy thing while I'm still being frustrated about missing Duna all the time.

I started using MechJeb and right now I am just watching it transfer me to duna, I need a different rocket to send mapping rovers though. Wish me luck on my journey! :D

That should be your first step : being able to do a 99% successfull mission to and back from Mun and Minmus.

If you can't even set foot on Minmus, I don't think you're able to get to another planet (if you don't use MechJeb or any other mod).

I tried to get to other planets, and can't get on any one. I have to learn how to use MechJeb now :P

And also, I'm currectly building 3 men crew rockets. Well my goal is to get to Mun and Minmus then back, before trying to launch one of those in outer space.

It's frustrating as hell, but, who said it should be easy?

That should be your first step : being able to do a 99% successfull mission to and back from Mun and Minmus.

If you can't even set foot on Minmus, I don't think you're able to get to another planet (if you don't use MechJeb or any other mod).

I tried to get to other planets, and can't get on any one. I have to learn how to use MechJeb now :P

And also, I'm currectly building 3 men crew rockets. Well my goal is to get to Mun and Minmus then back, before trying to launch one of those in outer space.

Imagine the next few updates when they add pluto planets and beyond! That will be worse!!!!

I was close to it being good this time, I always mess up at the final moment though, where I burn too much and I start ascending again and I get lots horizontal velocity which makes my lander play "Bump against the Mun until the capsule and lander separate". At that low altitude you can't really save yourself from mistakes as I found out.

Everything else was perfect, now I need to see about getting the crew on the Mun back.

Imagine the next few updates when they add pluto planets and beyond! That will be worse!!!!

I will still be trying to get to Duna by then, I bet.

Let's hope they'll include a navigation system like MechJeb or the Protractor.

I think they said that they are adding some sort of mission planner in a few updates time, so that will come in useful.

On Topic: I'm having bad luck currently with my stranded crew on the Mun, although I hope the rescue mission I am sending now will work good.

Off- Topic update from KSC:

Our Duna mission is being really successful we will have enough fuel to land on duna and on Ike, what should I do??

Go for it, I would say go for Duna first.

I was close to it being good this time, I always mess up at the final moment though, where I burn too much and I start ascending again and I get lots horizontal velocity which makes my lander play "Bump against the Mun until the capsule and lander separate". At that low altitude you can't really save yourself from mistakes as I found out.

Yeah I see what you mean. What you gotta do is to get down as straigth as possible. For Mun and Minmus, around 2000m, you should have the navball centered perfectly. If not, move your rocket and burn retrograde to slow you down and get your rocket centered. Then at this time, you burn so slow you down; depending on if you still have a stage to spend or your lander stage, burn before to slow down.

At around 1000 meters, slow down under 50m/s, and keep the gas very low. If you still have a rocket stage, jettison it and watch the distance it'll explode, in case you're over a large mountain or something high. I can't remember if the altimeter count from ground distance or sea level, so especially on Mun, watch the terrain carefully.

From there, slow down by either keeping your engine on the lowest burn possible (the ideal would be to get a speed of 5 to 9m/S and keep it stable) or doing little blasts of gas, whatever you fel more comfotable with.

If you have RCS gas, turn it on and turn on your ASAS system as well. Unless you're a good pilot or lucky, you'll still have some horizontal velocity, around 2 to 5 m/s. You'll never really land pinpoint.

So let your rocket bump on the ground at a speed of less than 10m/s. That's the most important thing.

If you're on the side of a hill, try to get some horizontal speed to "climb it up" or you can try to kill any horizontal speed you have and land on the side. It's hard, especailly if you have a tall lander, but it's possible, to a point.

And once you're close to the ground, you can see your shadow or you've seen your legs touching the ground, hit X to cut your engine, and if your speed is under 9m/s and the ground flat, you should succeed.

screenshot57.png

screenshot6.png

Duna Mission:

Edlock Kerman, the first Kerbal to land on a new planet. but the designers have found out that there are no ladders on the craft, Edlock wants to get outside and nothing can stop him, now we need a second craft to make a 100% succesful mission not 99%. This was the last message from KSC News.

Yeah I see what you mean. What you gotta do is to get down as straigth as possible. For Mun and Minmus, around 2000m, you should have the navball centered perfectly. If not, move your rocket and burn retrograde to slow you down and get your rocket centered. Then at this time, you burn so slow you down; depending on if you still have a stage to spend or your lander stage, burn before to slow down.

At around 1000 meters, slow down under 50m/s, and keep the gas very low. If you still have a rocket stage, jettison it and watch the distance it'll explode, in case you're over a large mountain or something high. I can't remember if the altimeter count from ground distance or sea level, so especially on Mun, watch the terrain carefully.

From there, slow down by either keeping your engine on the lowest burn possible (the ideal would be to get a speed of 5 to 9m/S and keep it stable) or doing little blasts of gas, whatever you fel more comfotable with.

If you have RCS gas, turn it on and turn on your ASAS system as well. Unless you're a good pilot or lucky, you'll still have some horizontal velocity, around 2 to 5 m/s. You'll never really land pinpoint.

So let your rocket bump on the ground at a speed of less than 10m/s. That's the most important thing.

If you're on the side of a hill, try to get some horizontal speed to "climb it up" or you can try to kill any horizontal speed you have and land on the side. It's hard, especailly if you have a tall lander, but it's possible, to a point.

And once you're close to the ground, you can see your shadow or you've seen your legs touching the ground, hit X to cut your engine, and if your speed is under 9m/s and the ground flat, you should succeed.

screenshot57.png

screenshot6.png

I will be trying that, thanks for the advice, I will pop back in soon to update you.

Duna Mission:

Edlock Kerman, the first Kerbal to land on a new planet. but the designers have found out that there are no ladders on the craft, Edlock wants to get outside and nothing can stop him, now we need a second craft to make a 100% succesful mission not 99%. This was the last message from KSC News.

Why people always forget about jetpacks :(

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.