The scariest space-related movie you ever saw.

Milo Kurtiss

I guess I'll be the first to mention a film that is both scary and worth watching (seriously, Apollo 18 and Prometheus were both awful).

Event Horizon.

Plot summary: "oops, our FTL engine opened a portal to hell"

Edit: beaten to first good film suggestion. Alien is excellent, of course.

I'm sorry but this movie is a prime example of why I think horror movies in general are dumb. Saw this for the first time at a buddies house and we got to the scene where one of the crew goes into the room with the "FTL" black hole disk thing/come to find out later portal to hell. This man who is supposedly smart enough to be an astronaut decides he's going to walk right up to it and touch the black portaly bit. At that point I yelled out "IT BENDS TIME AND SPACE WHY WOULD YOU TOUCH IT?". Needless to say my friend was quite amused.

Apollo 18 wasn't "that" scary to me, it was a good movie though.

Alien would probably be my choice.

I never saw Prometheus, I heard it was really good though.

Edited by zzguy

Mentioned earlier in the thread, but 'Moon' is one of mine. While it isn't exactly scary, it is pretty psychoactive in that it plays with your mind and your perception of the film can change very quickly. Definitely recommend it.

The first Alien. I saw it in 1980, when I was about 3. My uncle got a black market VHS copy, and as crappy and grainy as it was, it scared the bejesus out of me. I can still remember the chest burster scene, that stays with you for life lol.

Thanks for the recommendations on "Moon". As far as Alien goes, it is probably my favorite Sci-Fi film.

I noticed a few people said Prometheus. I must be honest, I did not like that movie. Maybe it is that I came in with some expectations of it being like Alien (I did actually) but can you blame me?

Same director, female protagonist, same alarm-like-noise-thing in the commercial, same general atmosphere (especially at the beginning of the film), a friggin' robot that plays a very similar role to the robot in the first movie, they explore a space jockey ship, oh yeah and there is a proto-alien at the end of the film too.

The whole film felt like a two-bit off the shelf horror movie. It had all of the same cliches (go ahead super smart guy, touch that stupid alien-worm thing while at the same time calling it cute and cuddly or something.) that most horror movies had. I really am not eloquent enough nor do I have the compartmentalization skills to organize my thoughts very well so I'll just let these guys share my feelings for me. Linky 1 Linky 2

I also really liked Aliens as well though for different reasons. I think both of these films have had a very large impact on the sci-fi genre.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.