NASA's Space Launch System (SLS) in KSP

Yeomans

Here's my WIP Ares V. I'm almost done with the Ares I, but I have to get the proportions right.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34544[/ATTACH]

Looks more like Atlas V to me. the fairings wouldn't bulge like that on the Ares rockets like they do on Atlas V (and yours).

Thats pretty much my plan with KSP, BUT the rockets do need to be fully functional IMO. So if the Saturn-V for instance was not mun capable, including return, I would be in favor of tweaking the looks for function.. BUT, posting the pre-tweeked eye candy sounds fun.

Exactly, it's no fun if it can't get off the ground. I try to keep a median between its looks and functionality, in the end you are modeling but modeling also means trying to incorporate the functionality of the real life variant into the game. I made a couple of functional and good looking rockets heavily based on real design back in .16 but I lost my saves when I updated. I'll try to remake some of them and maybe some of us could start a nice thread in the spacecraft exchange.

Looks more like Atlas V to me. the fairings wouldn't bulge like that on the Ares rockets like they do on Atlas V (and yours).

Ya, I noticed that. The reason they buldge is that the Orbiter I put up there slightly stuck out of the fairings. If I can make a orbiter that doesnt bludge from the fairings, then ill fix it.

• 1 year later...
Hey guys, I've been wondering if anyone has managed to make an accurate recreation of any of the planned SLS launch vehicles using either default parts or a pack like NovaPunch. It would be pretty cool to see, and useful, since the largest of the SLS designs will be capable of manned spaceflight to other planets.

If you don't know much about the SLS, a good general overview can be found here.

I have a rather rushed version of the Block II Crew using the NovaPunch pack. The rocket flies marvelously and can get to the moon, however, it would not be capable of interplanetary flight like the Block II should be.

http://imageshack.us/a/img22/4035/screenshot5uk.png

Has anyone made more accurate recreations? Or are there parts better tailored to this?

Thanks,

Dan

So are any of you still in need of a SLS? I'm VERY interested in this field of rocketry... especially this one. If you need to, I'll halt my current Duna mission and pick this one up. I'm a softy for making real rocket replicas. If you need an idea of what I've made in the past, which is STOCK, I can link you to my google drive so you ca. see it. I'm gonna use KW instead of Nova punch because the fairings and engines in NP just don't quite work for me. The fairings look like cardboard and are VERY difficult to work with in comparison to KW and so on and so on. So I'll begin production as soon as someone replies that I should. :wink:

If there are any OTHER rocket designs in need of designing, tell me the name and I'll start. There are very FEW I can't make without a photo, NASA is my biggest hobby and KSP goes along perfectly. I have plenty of in-game experience so making one should be CHEESE B)