Low Mun Orbits after vessel switch become unstable - Fast orbital decay

Buzz313th

KSP2 0.1.2

I7 3770, GTX 3070, 32 gigs ram, Win 10

Apollo style Mun mission.  CM docked to LEM nose to nose.  Intercept Mun at Pe = 35km.  Circularized at 35km.  Separated Lem and CM.  Locked SAS on both vessels after separation. Took control of LEM and  Landed normally on Mun surface.   Immediately departed Mun surface, burned to AP=11km and killed engine for Ap in 1 minute and change.  Switched to map screen and noticed orbit lines for both vessels disappeared under Mun surface and Pe and Ap icons were flashing for both vessels.  Switched back to LEM from map view and noticed Pe was below Mun surface and descending quickly.  Ap was also descending.  Started warp to put LEM on "Rails" to stabilize.  At Ap came out of warp for 1x and burned to 35km where orbit stabilized at 1x speed.  Raised LEM Pe to 35km to circularize and LEM orbit was stable.   Went to map screen where I noticed LEM orbit line was visible and stable, but CM orbit line indicated surface impact in 45 degrees(Note that CM orbit was stable before switching to LEM after undock before Lem landing approach).  Switched to CM to try and save the orbit.  After switching to CM noted that Ap was 165km and Pe was -70km.  Executed radial out burn to try and save CM orbit.  Burned to circularize radial out until Pe and Ap were at 35km and circularized.   Switched back to LEM and noticed that LEM orbit was unstable with Pe below Mun surface and Ap descending quickly (Note that before switching to the CM from the LEM that LEM orbit was stable at 35km x 35km and engine off with SAS locked.   Not enough fuel to save LEM orbit.  Threw hands up with a few choice words and quit game.

I encountered this bug both in a low Mun and Minimus orbit with the same vessel config and procedure after EA release and after the first patch.  Now with the second patch, and it's still there.   

My motivation for spending my time in KSP1/Juno and hopefully one day with KSP2, was the gratification that I got after successfully executing  a mission I planned, engineered and flew.  I just cannot spend any time playing KSP2 knowing that my time and effort in the planning and engineering stage of a simulated mission may end up FUBAR for no fault of my own.   

So I wait...............................  Until patch#3, or however long it takes.  I will check back in when the next one is released.

Cheers and good luck with this one.   The DEVS have a tremendous amount of work to do to make this unfortunate mess stable and playable.

Edited by Anth12

Yes, I think so too, they have to further improve and increase their development speed (it will take years to come to v1.0 or never otherwise). I want to be fair, it's a great, great game, but perhaps some backward redesign to KSP1 would make sense ( VAB, part manager, maneuver planing etc. was already o.k. in my opinion). And the size of icons and letters?  Are they planing to release this game on a smartphone? (mobile, cellphone)).

If they have the resources to increase development speed while also making sure the code is solid and easy to navigate for future features and the potential mod community then I agree.   But if increasing development speed results in haphazard structure, then I would say they need to re-evaluate and slow down.  

The KSP Franchise is an epic piece of IP for any software publisher.  The first one is a cult classic and as of right now, there are no real competitors.   The future is bright as long as the foundation is done right.

Yes, absolutely I fully agree. That's for me included in "increase their development speed". If you fix one bug while generating two new ones, you move backwards. It's my concern that could be already the case, but I am not sure. Being today in the VAB I didn't feel much improvent on my big rocket designs to be honest. Got a fabulous psychedelic color picture crash there by the way. So I am not fully convinced that all the new designs (like part manager, the new stage bar (on the right side of the VAB) and some other things are a step forward or a step backward. Many things are obviously much better, like grafics and loading performance (started to slow down already... what is that new "intro deactivation" about? See no difference). I am a bit more critical now since I discovered Juno New Origins, where there are a handful of very talented developers doing great things for a price that is a fraction of this early access ... I have no problem with this on the KSP side but Juno is simply awesome - and only a few hundred players there, I don't know why.

Edited by TomKerbal

It is not just around the Mun, high orbits of Minimus are unstable. I have attempted to submit bugreports to this effect to no avail. The only file types you can upload are images, not the .meta and json. This is including the latest patch . My CSM, Lander and cruise stage with SAS off, RCS off, all engines disabled keeps drifting in its orbit.