Lander falls through surface or disappears when driving away

Lyneira

When driving the rover in the below picture away from the lander, after reaching just over 2.5 km distance from the lander (sometimes closer), the lander is lost in one of two ways:

• The lander marker can be seen falling through the surface of the planet. Returning to the site of the lander shows that it really is gone. One time, this happened not immediately after exceeding 2.5 km but when returning to the lander within 1 km or so.
  • The lander marker disappears completely.

This happened 7/7 times that I tested it with the example save and the reproduction instructions. The problem is not unique to Dres, I've also experienced this on Ike and Vall.

Lander-rover-dres-south-pole.jpg

To replicate:

• Download this save file bundle, unpack in your save directory and load it in KSP2.
  • Press B to unlock the parking brakes
  • Drive away from the lander heading roughly 270.
    • Press action group 1 to toggle the reaction wheel to assist with turning and maintaining control. Status is indicated by the green LED strip on the back.
    • Accelerating is best done with the reaction wheel off.
  • The lander marker should disappear or start falling through the surface when reaching around 2.6 km.

Workaround: Stay within 2 km of the lander.

• KSP Version: 0.1.2.0.22258
  • Operating System and version: Windows 10
  • CPU and GPU: Ryzen 7 3700X, GeForce RTX 2080 Super 
  • Mods: none.

Yup, have a base module landed near the Minmus polar anomaly in the same state of Schrodinger's Kerbal. The crew are safe as long as no other craft goes near them or I don't take control of that module from the tracking station.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a small lander on the flats of Minmus. Saved the game and when I reloaded and returned to the lander it was underground and falling. I hit the thrusters and returned to orbit but had no orbit lines - KSP showed it as still landed.

• 3 weeks later...

Bought the game yesterday. I'm currently doing a Munar orbit rendezvous crewed landing as my second mission, and I had the exact same thing happen to my lander when I switched away to my orbiter and then switched back to the lander a few seconds later. It was nowhere to be seen, and based on the altimeter it was falling through the ground as if the surface weren't there, steadily accelerating downwards. I was actually able to reverse the descent with my engines, but it was costing me so much dV to get back to the surface that I gave up and hit f9.  I kind of wish I had waited to see if the craft would come back up through the ground unscathed, but I suspect it would have. Kruffty!