Mun & Minmus Event Horizons" EXACTLY 23317m and 27097m above "sea" level

Filed.Teeth

Win 11 22H2
i7-12700KF   
RAM    32.0 GB
RTX 3080 Ti

At 23317m (Mun) and 27097m (Minmus) there is a noticeable camera shift, orbit starts it's well know decay, and ships start blowing up (Mun) or Orbit changes drastically (Minmus) if they warp into, or below this point. 

Spent some time testing, so the numbers are solid and very repeatable.

Both of these limits may have already been identified, There's many, many threads on decaying orbit and crashing out of warp, but I haven't seen the actual numbers called out yet.

Edited by Filed.Teeth

Win 11 22H2
i9-13900KF   
RAM    32.0 GB
RTX 3080 Ti

Have confirmed this hard limit still exists on Mun in 1.3

Any time warp across the boundary, started after dropping below the boundary or reloading a quick-save created below the boundary results in immediate ship destruction.

Edited by Filed.Teeth
Adding v1.3 info

• 1 month later...

Reported Version: v0.1.3 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Win 11 22H2 | CPU: i9-13700KF    | GPU: RTX 3080 Ti | RAM 32.0 GB

Win 11 22H2
i9-13900KF   
RAM    32.0 GB
RTX 3080 Ti

Have confirmed this hard limit still exist on Mun in 1.3

Any time warp across the boundary, started after dropping below the boundary or reloading a quick-save created below the boundary results in immediate ship destruction.

Edited by Filed.Teeth

On 6/25/2023 at 3:15 AM, Filed.Teeth said:

Didn't think the original got out of archives after I updated it, so created a new one with a link. 

Apologies for creating extra work for you Anth12.

@Darrin H (QA Director) said on discord that people can resubmit bug reports through the new form system if a bug is still in the game. Just please put a link to the old one.

• 2 months later...

Win 11 22H2
i9-13900KF   
RAM    32.0 GB
RTX 3080 Ti

Revisited after patch 1.4 due to patch statement. Only went to the Mun before posting.

Orbital Decay

: Improvements have been made to address the issue and we continue to work on eliminating it completely.

Improvement noted: Ship no longer explodes. Now shows the 0m/s bug after an F9 reload. Complete game restart needed to clear that, but orbit is now sub-orbital.

Improvement noted:  Decay is not quite as drastic.

Improvement noted: ANY time warp (2x or more) will stabilize  a decaying orbit while in warp. Decay will resume as soon as you drop to x1. (Not sure if this was the case before, just can't remember.)

Hard limit is still 23317.

Camera shift still occurs when crossing hard limit in x1 and when entering/exiting stabilizing time warp.

Tying in earlier work done by AstroClef.

AP/PE are Dropping (Orbital Decay) When in Low Orbit of Some Planets/Moons

Edited by Filed.Teeth