Weekly Challenge #14 - Space Station Build!

Well, there's a new challenge out, and I've pretty much hit a wall with this one6, so here's the finished product4:

KSS 2.1.2c a.k.a. BB2B, Fully assembled in LKO.  (Note that for this screenshot I ejected all the delivery vehicles, but reverted to a previous save afterwardsz.)

6 arms:

1. "Up": Power and communications - Solar panels, storage batteries, and antennas
  2. "North": Habitation area - Living and work areas for 8 kerbals, including escape pods that might even work (see below)
  3. "South": Ditto
  4. "East": Fuel Depot A - 28.8t Methalox and 22.4t Xenon
  5. "West": Fuel Depot B - 16t Hydrogen and  40t Monopropellant
  6. "Down": Modular Docking Bay - Four seperate bays for vessels to dock with, as well as an extra docking port at the end for extending the docking bay as desired
Spoiler

Nzu0uxp.png

In preparation for leaving Kerbin, a transit tug brought up a few reusable landers to occupy the docking armsf

Spoiler

a0goxOc.png

I thought it looked pretty nice silhouetted against Kerbin here:

Spoiler

n7maEkq.png

And of course there's always the blooper reel...  I forget what I did exactly, but somehow I triggered one of the escape pod modules early, managed to capture a shot of them drifting back down to the surfaceM

Spoiler

obNhMCK.png

Here there be footnotes:

Spoiler

RGot everything done except moving to a new planet.  However, there are so many pieces to this behemoth that the lag is pretty much unbearable, and the whole things just randomly explodes if I look at it funny... 

WStill experimenting with formatting and overall presentation - starting to get a feel for it though

2Nothing to see here, that wasn't a footnote

-1I liked keeping them there to help supervise the assembly, but wanted to show the station with all the available docking ports open

K It was unexpectedly challenging moving those little guys over - ran into a lot of little glitches while trying to dock them... 

rIgnore that little guy without the crew pod - that's just an optical illusion caused by.....   uh, free radicals! Yeah, that's what it is!

well this is NOW 1/3rd of the build i had.. and i was going put it in a insane orbit but after what has happened I'm once again finished for this until further improvements happen...

after tons of hours of work and setting up, I'm glad to say that the game didn't save more than 3 times during the multi day/hours work and i didn't do manual saves due to expecting the game to do more than 3 times, for the 12+ missions i did. it had everything 4 escape ssto's, two conventional rockets that could go anywhere with 8k delta and a 11k ion delta "core package" (it was like a tow package that went in front of the rocket driving the rocket backwards) had 6 large mk2 rings at the bottom, and a huge HUGE engine bay system... now its stumpy :( and looks like i didn't put any effort in it.

Got off once everything was completed and came back next day after closing properly for the ship lose 1/3rd of its size, and the last save only makes the ship survive for about 10-30 seconds before complete kraken attack explosions and fire and everything..

ship was way longer, had way more fuel, had insane everything, and was over the top on everything and anything, a true deep solar system machine that took way to long due to the amazing and cool fps of 4-5 fps.

but it had some decent 30fps when paused, quite happy with that due to being able to get three photos before i gave up.

it could carry a TON of kerbals and "storage/food" locations, it was a mothership of a spacestation before mothership parts existed.

but I'm not going to attempt to get all the rockets and stuff back to it and work on it.. just know it looked a lot prettier, had 3-4x more fuel, about 2-3~ longer, and had tons of little bit of everything...

counting thousands of parts in total (mostly for stability due to getting these huge parts in one go and ksp2 joy of destroying things)

center of the ship is actually on the far right, but this is about half of the solar bay i had...

i honestly think i wouldn't have been able to move it due to not being able to strut everything after getting into space like ksp 1 capability to do.

whats actually still there, unless i get back into the game

• battery bank
  • Small portion of the fuel refilling setup for other rockets
  • Small section of the core 
  • a crew transporter
  • mini backup solar farm

it was like a t but like an L at the same time of a space station..

quite frustrated..

6oqNYts.jpg

XNYBugU.jpg

LFsQIdh.jpg

Also little side note, i would REALLY REALLY love a built in photo mode where we could do the old, unsupport Nivida Ansel, huge photos called "Super Resoution Photos"

where it would take full screen pictures of a "gameplay space" but do small sections and stitching it up to make one HUGE photo... i would REALLY like that to be implemented, there is way to much small details that just get "lossed" and you cannot enjoy of feel the scale of how big your machines is when even at 4k zooming out makes kerbals 2-3 pixels in size there is so much that needs to be seen but the current way take photos is to little..

I would really hope to see this to be implemented or heck as a mod.

I'm sorry to go off topic, but for example of a game that has this capability (war thunder sadly)

Spoiler

2SyAqei.jpg

and you NEED to download the other photo its 407mb's

link --> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-wMxYx3pbMoABEo7FgBIvIfFORh1SZkT/view?usp=sharing

but you can see the complete difference between 3840x2160 vs... 38400x21600 a 10x photo size and nivida ansel could go up to 26/28x zoom?

i really think this game needs such a feature... I'm not kidding.

i feel like ksp 2 is going to start REALLY needing this type of a photo mode/option the scale of ksp2 is going to be larger, the game is in the modern age etc. An "advance" option where you understand that you need beefy pc/extra time and space to do those sizes.... i really really really really really would like to see this in ksp 2, there is ZERO third party options that can do the same effect as ansel, and i would really think such a feature should exist.

Edited by Stephensan
boring rant

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.