When a craft is in the water, some parts propel the craft into a specific direction

Atilist

Reported Version: v0.1.2 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit-Version (10.0, Build 19045) | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 1700X Eight-Core Processor | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GX 1060 6GB | RAM15.95 GB

Severity: med

Frequency: high

Description: Some parts make a craft move in the water when there is no actual force that is supposed to exist, I am going to call it "Kraken Wave" from now on. The direction of Kraken Wave depends on the part, orientation in the VAB, and rotation in the VAB. The easiest example to recreate this is by dropping a TR-3 "Bulldog" rover capsule into the water. The direction of this Kraken Wave moves the capsule forward if it was oriented forwards. If the capsule is oriented up in the VAB, it starts spinning around and the spin direction can be changed using the built-in reaction wheel. Rotating the capsule in the VAB also changes the way the Kraken Wave acts, mainly the center of rotation which gets revealed by the camera movement. The parts where I could confirm Kraken Wave to happen are command pods except for probe cores, rover wheels, landing gear (nothing or very little on landing legs), and parts that are narrower on one side than another which might give a clue to the cause of the bug. The strength of Kraken Wave depends on the size of the part from what I have seen.

Side notes: I do know that my GPU and RAM are below the hardware requirements, so I am curious to find out if this bug also happens on hardware which is above the requirements.

Included Attachments:

Edited by Anth12

Reported Version: v0.1.2 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: Intel i9 9900K | GPU: Nvidia 3070ti | RAM32GB

1 hour ago, Atilist said:

Side notes: I do know that my GPU and RAM are below the hardware requirements, so I am curious to find out if this bug also happens on hardware which is above the requirements.

Happens on a computer above minimum specs as well.
Good find. Might still affect crafts after the water physics is working properly

What I found in my testing:
Appears to only affect cockpits for forward movement if directed to the horizon on launch.
Rotating the cockpits side to point up also makes the cockpit move towards the surface.
Moving forward also has the cockpit sinking.
Pointing straight up on launching will have crafts act completely different.
If there's parts attached the cockpits start spinning.

Video Evidence using the Shuttle Cockpit:
https://youtu.be/fB4f69TYdhg

Edited by Anth12

I've definitely experienced this as well.  And while my machine is no powerhouse, it does meet the minimum requirements.

Ryzen 5 3400G; Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti; 16GB DDR4

There's another bug report that led me to encountering this.  The one about how the 2XL hydrogen tanks are indestructible when empty.  I attached a grumble seat and offset it so that it's in the center of an emptied 2XL tank and launched it from the boat launch.  Very strange behavior.  The 2XL tank seems to start picking up speed and rotation as it bounces over the water.  It's actually pretty funny.  The rotational speed got so high at times Tim looked like he passed out.

• 2 weeks later...

Reported Version: v0.1.3 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | GPU: RTX 3060 Ti | RAM128 GB

What I did: Picked the standard Crater Crusher, launched it on one of the runways and drove over to the little lake behind the trees on the left. Slowly entered the water.

What happened: The rover starts bobbing in the water with an ever increasing amplitude without any further control input. After a while it goes into a sustained spin along the longitudinal axis.

What I expected: The vehicle should not gain kinetic energy without any propulsion or other accelerationg forces acting on it. It should eventually come to a resting position and not go into a sustained rotation.

Frequency: Consistently reproducable

Included Attachments:

KerbalSpaceProgram22023-06-2821-37-23.mp4

Edited by Anth12

I've experienced the same thing...

When trying to splashdown my aircraft, it spins slowly and uncontrollably towards the bottom when into the water, without any explanation.
This, basically makes water landings quite unsatisfying, when your craft only stays afloat for 2 seconds...

Specs:
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600H with Radeon Graphics  (12)
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Laptop GPU (3977MB)
RAM - 15711
OS - Microsoft Windows 11 Home 10.0.22621 64-bit

Edited by AzuryxxVORTEX
Added Specs to it.