Undocking on pause causes vehicle to disintegrate

BechMeister

Reported Version: v0.1.3 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 Home | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 TI | RAM16 gb

So... I found out that if I undock vehicles while on pause, when you unpause the vehicle disintegrate.

Video for reference.  Sorry the quality is a bit bad.

Edited by Anth12

I just sent two identical space planes up on a single rocket.  Everything was perfect until I docked the second space plane to my fuel station.  At some point after docking the first space, the first space plane became a "jumbled" mess of parts while docking the second space plane.

The far space plane docked to this station is intact and was docked last.

3RPbJEQ.jpg

Note the near space plane parts are jumbled while the far space plane is intact.

rvGnBmL.jpg

qwX6ayp.jpg

Here is what the two space planes originally looked like attached to the launcher.

Y2JKiww.jpg

And final a view of the space plane design.

Y0uqYWf.jpg

Edited by Skystorm

11 minutes ago, Phin said:

Note that pausing wasn't needed there I think.

Definetly I mean I also have this bug report - I have not had the issue again, so I am not sure what triggers it:

But that was wild.. it was like collision didn't exist and nothing was glued together.

The problem is that a lot of these disassembly bugs seem similar, but they have different ways that them happen.

I think I have found 7 related bug reports and I can't merge any of them.

On 7/1/2023 at 6:44 AM, Anth12 said:

The problem is that a lot of these disassembly bugs seem similar, but they have different ways that them happen.

I think I have found 7 related bug reports and I can't merge any of them.

Ahh, software development.. : ) (I'm a developer : ) ).

Created a report for my own case, hopefully with more/enough detail:

7 hours ago, BlueBirdAzurite said:

It does look similar

On 6/30/2023 at 5:38 AM, BechMeister said:

So... I found out that if I undock vehicles while on pause, when you unpause the vehicle disintegrate.

This bug report is about undocking vehicles while paused.
The other one is about decoupling.

They look the same. The steps to replication are different.

This is the reason why I haven't merged all the bug reports relating to disassembled crafts.

• 4 weeks later...

Reported Version: v0.1.3.2.24841 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5900X | GPU: 1070 TI | RAM64 GB

I'm here to report having a similar issue, AND a similar issue with a twist as well. 

I replicate this issue a handful of times here 

Around 2:30, new twist is that parts are all decoupled from vehicle's reference point, float around as if disassembled, then locked in position again resulting in a vehicle that resembles something extra-dimensional.

This happens again but WITHOUT RELOADING the quicksave around  6:15. 

What happened around 6:15 makes me think that it's related to the momentary game stutter which I experience after clicking "Undock" - thinking back on it this does occur more frequently when the game stutters -- as if during that time the game clock is running and every object's independent physics/movement keeps being calculated BUT the fact that the parts are supposed to be connected as a single unit is ignored for a split second and that little bit of change in position is unrecoverable and it's treated like the ship broke up in a RUD.

Edited by JebJr
Add system info

• 2 weeks later...

@Anth12
 I ran into a version of this bug again. Vsync is off. I have provided you with a savegame and video evidence:

The start is 3x and 4x speed - to get to the bug quick, but without losing the steps proceeding the bug. I also cut out a lot of the "computing time" that comes when you right click. For some reason I had freezes close to being 1 minut.

Savegame in this one drive folder: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AhGsvJ5Xnc4dqH0gl90QYSnxLLz4?e=r0ZX7z

Its in the folder called "loss of cohession when undocking"

15 minutes ago, Anth12 said:

@BechMeister 8fps on my i9 9900K + 3070ti. I have no idea how you are able to play your save on your system ;) Impressive.

I have about the same framerate - I guess i am just a very patient man :D - I had 15 fps before adding the last 4 vehicles.. It seems like when you add engines that it really kills the fps.

It makes it easy to drink coffee and read news between maneuvers though xD

4 minutes ago, BechMeister said:

I have about the same framerate - I guess i am just a very patient man :D - I had 15 fps before adding the last 4 vehicles.. It seems like when you add engines that it really kills the fps.

It makes it easy to drink coffee and read news between maneuvers though xD

Hopefully we will see significant performance gains in the months to come. Colonies will have the potential to use a lot more parts than your station/save.

5 minutes ago, Anth12 said:

Hopefully we will see significant performance gains in the months to come. Colonies will have the potential to use a lot more parts than your station/save.

yeah.. tbf.. that station is not even "that big" if you consider how big the ISS is... But they can also do a lot with making a potatomode for the game. The visual difference between the highest setting and the lowest is not that obvious at first glance. If you've ever played a game like Eve - there is a significant visual difference between max graphic and lowest x)

I have considered installing KSP2 on my work pc - it has 64gb of ram and a intel core I7-10700t... but the graphics card is a Quatro P1000 4gb - not really gaming material xD

Edited by BechMeister

25 minutes ago, BechMeister said:

yeah.. tbf.. that station is not even "that big" if you consider how big the ISS is... But they can also do a lot with making a potatomode for the game. The visual difference between the highest setting and the lowest is not that obvious at first glance. If you've ever played a game like Eve - there is a significant visual difference between max graphic and lowest x)

I have considered installing KSP2 on my work pc - it has 64gb of ram and a intel core I7-10700t... but the graphics card is a Quatro P1000 4gb - not really gaming material xD

From what I can tell in my testing this is something to do with the Clamp-O-Tron Inline docking ports.
The two planes you have are the main ones with the issue.
Can you post another bug report with the video and save file specifying that? Otherwise the issue is going to be hidden in here and the developers will most likely miss it.

This main bug report post is only to do with the undocking while paused issue.

I will do so later - What is a good headline to describe it with? "Loss of Cohesion when undocking from clamp-o-tron Inline docking ports"?

Also should I tag you once the report is done?

Edited by BechMeister

40 minutes ago, BechMeister said:

I will do so later - What is a good headline to describe it with? "Loss of Cohesion when undocking from clamp-o-tron Inline docking ports"?

Also should I tag you once the report is done?

No need to tag me. I currently evaluate all the bug reports that are submitted before they go into the public bug reporting area.

Also I have a save with your craft docked to the main station, so I will add that to your bug report as well with action groups to undock.
The easier it is for the devs to test, the faster they can fix it.

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, BechMeister said:

Yes - I can try put the shuttles back on the station. That should prove if its fixed quick enough. I am however a bit busy this week - But I will put it on the to do list :)

Thanks.