Computer shutting down when playing games

I don't know why i'm asking you guys this, maybe its because i trust you or something crazy like that.

Anyways, I recently got dishonored, which is a great game, and i played it for about a half an hour. *Computer shutdown* I do this multiple times until i give up. The computer is not hot when it shuts down and it is a complete shutdown, other than the power button flashing. Halp?

Random pc specs:

Processor: AMD A8-3500M APU with Radeon HD Graphics 1.50 GHz

Ram: 6.00 GB 5.48 usable

Computer gets a 5.8 on the pc rating.

GPU overheating, causes graphics corruption or BSOD.

CPU overheating, causes game crashs, BSOD or power off.

But you never mentioned, is it a laptop, OEM pc or self build.

Because complete shut down is common with under performing (overstressed) powersupply.

GPU overheating, causes graphics corruption or BSOD.

GPU overheat can cause complete shutdown. My GPU's overheating kept shutting down my PC... I updated the drivers and the temperature management was better so it stopped happening.

Defragging your hdd will only speed your notebook up bit, and might actually overheat it more, as your processors have to do more calculations in a smaller time. Try running the game on a lower resolution, about half the resolution of your monitor. Also forget about fancy settings, as it seems quite an old machine.

Edited by LongHairedHuman

Llano quadcores are weak. Check the benchmarks. Also surface temp tells you nothing. Might well be cpu/gpu cook away because your fan ducts are stufed with dust or worse (if you smoke).

1. Defrag your computer

2. Ensure that your fan is working to full capacity. Use something like speedfan to see if your fans are working to full capacity. If oyur fan isn't working at all, try seeing if it's plugged into the mainboard by opening up the bottom. If you've recently installed a new operating system on top of the default one, chances are there was some sort of program like Acer ePowering Technology that ran your fan for you. If your fan is running it's arse off, then go to our local computer store and buy an external fan for the bottom of your notebook.

3. If all else fails take it into your local computer store and ask them what's up. But a external fan should stop you from crashing. Keep it cool, y'know?

Yeah, there was one very dusty vent, but thats clean now. i'll See if it works.

Moral of the story. Keep air outtake and intakes clean; surface temperatures mean nothing.

To illustrate that point, I'd suggest installing a temp monitoring program and watch the temperatures while your computer runs. Even idling, my CPU cores tend to run at 60 degrees C. These things could easily fry an egg (albeit slowly) without their heat sinks.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.