odd question on modeling.

am i able to use Google Sketchup and import the files into blender (suck at using blender and can't afford 3ds max otherwise i'd use it.)

so i'm trying to stick with someone i am used to. sadly my old ways don't exist and sketchup is closest to it. basically i want to create the 3d model using sketch up and than import it into blender for the rest of the crap and get her textured etc.. and export it into what ever file KSP needs.

Hi , this is something i tried early on in modding as I also found it much easier to model in sketchup type applications,

The main trouble i found was that sketchup models tend to be a bit excessive on the polys ( the squares, triangles that make up the model) Sketchup seems to like adding internal faces which can effectively double the poly count.

The work around to this is to color all internal faces the same color then when you are done with construction delete that color which takes all those pesky internal surfaces away.

I messed around with that conversion for a while with mixed results. In the end it was far easier to learn how to model with max, tried blender didnt like much, than waste hours trying to convert something i'd already spent hours modelling,

Its taken a year or so to properly get to grips with the max way of modelling to a semi proficient std but its soooooooooooo much easier than all that frustration of endless failed exports

so SpannerMonkey you're basically suggesting on saving up for max? (might take a few months) oh nvm.. more like years.. it costs more than what i'm trying to get a car for.. but yeah it is possible to import and export to KSP format using blender and sketchup??? 'cause i would MUCH rather spend few hours doing that than couple thousand on max...

Sketchup will export in to a DAE file, which can be loaded in both Unity and Blender (which is free.)

I do not think you can do all of the advanced things in Sketchup though, such as animation and setting up advanced texturing; You can import into Blender and do those things, but if you're serious about it you're probably better off learning to do it Blender to begin with, especially with the odd format that sketchup uses

Hate to break it for you but the Google Sketchup isn't really up to the task, Its good for modelling buildings but very limited on everything else, not to mention slow. I would suggest to learn some blender, it's not that hard anymore as it used to be. Check out http://cgcookie.com/blender/ for good free tutorials. With blender you can create more high quality models for games.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.