Hi there

case

I'm playing KSP for a week and lurking around here since, so here am I. I won't repeat how great this game is, I'm sleeping 4 hours per night on average since I've bought the game.

So, kudos to the dev team. Also, I'm playing on Linux through wine, and I'm quite happy how well it works, but can't express how much I wish a native build ;)

Some captures of my achievements this week, probably as interesting as the pictures of your aunt holidays, but still: Mun, Duna, Jool, Laythe.

Hi case and welcome to the forums!

That's excellent to hear that you're enjoying the game too much to sleep (we all know that feeling). :P

Hopefully there will be a native build of KSP for GNU/Linux in the future, when Unity 4 releases and Squad acquire it, whenever that may be.

Very nice images by the way and excellent ship designs, a lot better than mine after playing KSP for a week. :)

Hi Ted and thanks for the warm welcome. I've been an hardcore Orbiter player in the early days, so I'm not exactly a rookie, so my "first week" was obviously easier than it may be for the average kerbonaut :)

Welcome to the forums case (I need one too).

4 hours per night, you must have a lot of time to spare everyday if you can keep yourself awake for that long.

Well Done for your current achievement, keep on going until you conquer every body in the system.

Have fun playing KSP and go blow up some rockets! :sticktongue:

Welcome to the forums case (I need one too).

4 hours per night, you must have a lot of time to spare everyday if you can keep yourself awake for that long.

Well, it's more the other way around: if I had time to spare during the day, I'll play KSP and could go to bed early :)

Hi case, welcome to the community :)

I'm also playing on Linux, and hope that when Unity4 is released that Squad will make a Linux version of KSP, how's the game run for you?

hmmm sluggishly :)

I play on a core i7 desktop running ubuntu 10.04 (64bits), with wine-1.4 and on a core2 laptop running ubuntu 12.04 (32bits) , with wine-1.5 I guess.

Some visual feature are missing on the 10.04 box (especially the drop shadows, which makes landing harder)

Drop shadows are there on the 12.04 laptop, but as it's a less powerful machine than the desktop, the framerate is very low especially when launching big rockets.

Also, on older versions of wine, the right mouse button wasn't working, with the latest wine installed from a PPA on the 12.04 ubuntu, the right click works.

Also, the sound seems to be problematic on every versions but I usually play without sound so it's far from a deal-breaker :)

Can't wait to have a native build...

It's sluggish for me as well, it's a problem with Unity under Wine, I have a few other Unity games and they all run slow.

For some reason, shadows wont work for me at resolutions higher than 1024, currently I use 1440x900 so KSP fits my screen though.

Unity uses Rawinput rather than Directinput, but Wine has only just recently added the rawinput patch to the core code, there's still no joystick support though, but that's why the mouse didn't fully work in older versions of Wine.

Sound is a pain, it sometimes just crackles and pulseaudio has to be killed, I found as well that Wine didn't play nice with Pulse on 64bit Ubuntu, as it would lock the soundcard if it got the chance, I ended up reverting to 32bit to fix it.

Hmmmm about the drop shadows... Today I've tried KSP on a friend's high-end computer running windows, and there were no drop shadows... So I was balming an oudated version of wine for the lack of shadows, but this is obviously more complex... We've tried with a low resolution (1024x768), and still no shadows... As anyone any clue about that?

(also, my posts are moderated, is it because i'm a new comer, is it only in this sub-forum, or are all the posts moderated here?)

You are a bottle rocketeer now case, so no more moderation of posts for you, just don't turn out to be a russian or chinese spambot :D

As for the shadows, it is possible that your UnityGraphicsQuality registry key needs to be reset to 3, or you need to delete your settings.cfg, or both.

For the key, look in the Wine registry, hkey_local_user\software\squad\kerbal space program\

For the settings.cfg, it is in the same folder as KSP.exe