No friction inside holds? [Separators are causing problems with the wheels]

Yang366

Reported Version: v0.1.4 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Win10 22H2 64bits | CPU: i3-13400F | GPU: RTX 3060 | RAM32GB

Hi Kerbonauts.

I tried many solutions, but I was not able to drive my rover outside the vessel's hold.
It seems wheels have no friction, once separated from the main ship.
Wheels are spinning but the rover does not move.

I tested it with patch 3 and 4 with no luck.
I checked various holds (CBS-250, CBS-375, and even CRG-R-Mk3) and various wheels (RoveMax S2, RoveMax M1, RoveMax TR2).

One the rover out and on the ground (using reaction wheels and collisions), the wheels are working nicely and the rover accelerates.
Similarly, if the rover is dropped directly on the ground (sky-crane), it works.

Anyone encountered this? Any workaround?

Thanks,

Laurent.

Included Attachments:

roverTest.json

Edited by Anth12

@Yang366
The separator is causing the friction problem for some reason. Use a decoupler instead.
But then you will also  have to deal with the following bug after that:

Steps to Replicate this bug:

1. Launch roverTest.json
  2. Move staging to have separator stage first
  3. Stage.

Note wheels lack of correct contact with the part below. Replacing with a decoupler stops this issue, but then will have the bug with wheel spring issues mentioned in the bug report above.

Edited by Anth12

Thanks for the feedback.

I tried replacing the separator by a decoupler, but I had no better luck. Wheels are indeed vibrating a lot, but I had never seen the effect of the mother ship on it before ;-).
Anyway, it seems to be the same situation both for decoupler and separator in my tests.

Cheers,

Laurent.

11 hours ago, Yang366 said:

Thanks for the feedback.

I tried replacing the separator by a decoupler, but I had no better luck. Wheels are indeed vibrating a lot, but I had never seen the effect of the mother ship on it before ;-).
Anyway, it seems to be the same situation both for decoupler and separator in my tests.

Cheers,

Laurent.

Odd. I definitely got traction when using the decoupler over the separator.