Stellar Plasma-Assisted Rocket Kinetics (SPARK) Technologies [0.2.0]

schlosrat

• 1 month later...
  • Updated for KSP2 0.2.0 (For Science!)
  • Fixed issues where plumes were not visible. All SPARK motors should now have visible plumes in KSP2 0.2.0
  • Fixed an issue where drag was not being applied to parts in this pack. Drag should not be correctly applied to all parts.
  • Added all parts to either the Xenon Propulsion tech tree node or the Heavy Nuclear Propulsion tech tree node. That latter is where you will find the Magnetoplasmadynamic thrusters and their Lithium fuel tanks as these are very high-performance and require stupendous (heavy) amounts of power.
  • Updated dependency for LFO 1.0.0 (needed for plumes in KSP2 0.2.0) and Patch Manager 0.9.1 mod (needed to add parts to the tech tree)
On 1/10/2024 at 11:36 AM, planchet said:

bonsoir il ne semble pas fonctionner 

On 1/10/2024 at 11:49 PM, planchet said:

hello, it doesn't seem to work

On 1/13/2024 at 7:55 AM, hex3desu said:

Your mods seem to have shown up as compatible with 0.2.0 on CKAN and Spacedock, but they've not been updated to that version

Please try it now

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying out this mod, and it seems that something goes wrong when burning under timewarp. At least for the X4 NHT that I'm using. When I increase the timewarp, the dv keeps decreasing at 1x rate and the acceleration is in line with the 1x time rate while the vehicle is moving faster.

steps to reproduce:

1. put a probe with X4NHT in orbit
  2. use FP to change the inclination, e.g. by 10deg
  3. execute the burn using K2D2
  4. change timewarp during the burn
  5. notice how the inclination keeps turning at 1x rate

As you can see, I'm a happy user of some of your other work, and the suite of mods that communicate like a bliss. I'm not sure if the issue is in those mods or with your engine(s).

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2024 at 5:49 AM, Sade said:

I'm trying out this mod, and it seems that something goes wrong when burning under timewarp. At least for the X4 NHT that I'm using. When I increase the timewarp, the dv keeps decreasing at 1x rate and the acceleration is in line with the 1x time rate while the vehicle is moving faster.

steps to reproduce:

As you can see, I'm a happy user of some of your other work, and the suite of mods that communicate like a bliss. I'm not sure if the issue is in those mods or with your engine(s).

Unfortunately, the issue is... in stock KSP2. Nothing that mods do can change it.
In fact, I'll quote part of the mod author's posts from previous replies in this thread to answer more completely:

On 9/29/2023 at 8:36 PM, schlosrat said:

AFAIK, we can't maneuver during timewarp. At least I've not been able to do so. If we can, then such a thing is theoretically possible, but it would require a mode like Flight Plan to help with the maneuver.  I say like Flight Plan because right now Flight Plan lacks the ability to help with this. All of the math in Flight Plan is geared towards making maneuver nodes for impulse trajectory changes, with only a little thought to how that needs to change when the thrust is not applied in a way like an impulse. So a new mod is needed, or an overhaul of Flight Plan, so that maneuvers using long burns can be planned and executed.

That said, if/when it's possible to maneuver during timewarp, and a mod is made that enables planning and execution of these kinds of burns, then sure - de-kerbalizing the thrust is a real possibility.

For now, I'm going to stay focused on creating KSP2 engines that are similar to those in Nertea's KSP1 NFP.

Like I said, it's a vanilla KSP2 "not present content" (I hesitate to call it a proper "Game Bug" when it's "missing" because it's "not there (yet)" not because it's "there, but broken").
The issue boils down to this:
The code to have an engine consume resources during time warp is in the game, and is (partially, as you've noticed by the rate not depending on the time warp setting) working.
However, the code to change a vessel's orbit during on-rails time warp due to applied thrust from engines or other factors, is not yet present (and so it keeps changing, at the X1 time warp rate, because it doesn't consider the time warp setting in the math to change the orbit, which just makes the whole thing not work right).

Edited by SciMan

5 minutes ago, SciMan said:

Like I said, it's a vanilla KSP2 "not present content" (I hesitate to call it a proper "Game Bug" when it's "missing" because it's "not there (yet)" not because it's "there, but broken").
The issue boils down to this:
The code to have an engine consume resources during time warp is in the game, and is (partially, as you've noticed by the rate not depending on the time warp setting) working.
However, the code to change a vessel's orbit during on-rails time warp due to applied thrust from engines or other factors, is not yet present (and so it keeps changing, at the X1 time warp rate, because it doesn't consider the time warp setting in the math to change the orbit, which just makes the whole thing not work right).

I've never actually seen this issue, most if not all engines work great when burning under time warp. What schlosrat was talking about was the fact that the craft cannot change orientation during time warp, which yes, is a current game design constraint. However, engine thrust not being adjusted when warping is definitely caused by some bug and not expected.

Edited by munix

Munix is correct in that I was referring to the inability to change attitude (or gimbal engines) during timewarp.

If I can reproduce the problem we may be able to sort out what's going on. I'm not expecting an issue with the spark engines here since I made them by taking stock engines and changing some values where necessary. They're all fundamentally adapted from the Dawn, and really not that different from any other ordinary chemical engine aside from consuming different resources much like the Dawn. If stock engines produce the right level of thrust while under timewarp, then I don't know of any reason why the Spark engines wouldn't do so as well. That said, the thrust levels are so low that for any sort of optimal burn trajectory over a longer period, you may need to change orientation - and you can't while timewarping.

Edited by schlosrat

On 1/25/2024 at 5:49 AM, Sade said:

steps to reproduce:

I was unable to replicate this.

I build a probe with an X4 NHT, a PB-X750 Xenon tank, an SWR-125 stabilizer, an RC-001S probe core, and an FPS-400 reactor (plus some lights). Pretty basic. I teleported it to a 120km circular orbit and planned an inclination change from 0 to 10 using FP. With the reactor turned on, the throttle at 0, and the engine activated, I had FP tell K2D2 to run the node. As soon as K2D2 has the node running (throttle up) I ramped up timewarp to x4 and was able to observe the delta-v remaining decrease at a more rapid pace than when at 1x timewarp. I tried playing with timewarp at 1x, 2x, and 4x, then left it at 4x until the end of the burn where I found I'd gotten 9.603 degrees inclination. Not perfect, but not bad either.

I tried it again running at only 1x timewarp and got a final inclination of 9.632 (pretty close to the same).

So I tried it again at 10x timewarp and got 9.597 degrees inclination.

So I tried it again at 50x and got 9.599 degrees.

So I tried it again at 100x and got 9.610 degrees.

So I tried it again at 1000x (max for this altitude) and got 9.617 degrees.

I'm not seeing the issue. If you can reproduce this can you please send me a save file to try out at my end?

5 hours ago, schlosrat said:

I'm not seeing the issue. If you can reproduce this can you please send me a save file to try out at my end?

Hmm, strange, let me verify

[edit] so I checked, and I can confirm, everything works as it should. I'm sorry for the distraction, dunno what I did wrong when I was checking the behavior.

Edited by Sade

4 hours ago, Sade said:

Hmm, strange, let me verify

[edit] so I checked, and I can confirm, everything works as it should. I'm sorry for the distraction, dunno what I did wrong when I was checking the behavior.

No worries, it was good to test this out.

TBH, I hadn't ever done a test like this to confirm it would work under timewarp (so long as you don't have such a long burn you'd need to change orientation). This is good to have proof that it does work!

• 3 months later...