Settings are not saved

CiberX15

Reported Version: v0.1.5 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz 4.00 GHz | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 | RAM32 GB

On multiple occasions now I've set the settings for things like borderless window mode or unbreakable parts, only to have the settings apparently not saved when I quit and re-launch the game.

• 1 month later...

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Win 11 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core Processor (16 CPUs), ~3.8GHz | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | RAM65536MB RAM

Settings seem to revert back to their settings pre launch when reverting to VAB or Launch. 
Steps to recreate: Start launch. Go into settings. Turn off or on Infinite propellant (Works with any setting). Exit settings. Revert to launch. Go back into settings and view that infinite propellant is set back to where it started. 
Severity : med 

Frequency high (very repeatable)

Included Attachments:

KerbalSpaceProgram22023-12-2106-47-51.mp4

• 2 weeks later...

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Wine 9.0-rc3 on Linux | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 | GPU: NVIDIA 3060 Ti | RAM32GB

The "Cadet Orientation" setting in the Create New Campaign menu always resets to the "on" state when creating a new campaign, even if it was previously turned off. It might make sense to force this back on when a new mode has been released or to track the state of the switch separately for each game mode, but by turning the switch off, the user is essentially declaring familiarity with game behavior, so I don't see much sense in turning it back on every time.

(Admittedly, this is probably not as much of an issue if one is not constantly creating new campaigns to document bug reproducers.)

Severity: Low

Steps to reproduce:

1. From the title menu, select "Singleplayer" and click "Start a New Campaign".
  2. Confirm that the "Cadet Orientation" switch is in the "on" state.
  3. Click the "Cadet Orientation" switch to turn it off.
  4. Click "Start Campaign", and confirm that the "orientation"  video is not displayed.
  5. Press the ESC key and select "Quit To Main Menu" from the ESC menu.
  6. In the "Save before exiting!" dialog box, click "Save and Exit".
  7. From the title menu, select "Singleplayer" and click "Start a New Campaign".
  8. Observe the state of the "Cadet Orientation" switch.

Expected behavior: The Cadet Orientation switch is in the "off" position.

Observed behavior: The Cadet Orientation switch is in the "on" position.

I don't think my report or the anonymous one above are the same as the original report - in our cases, the settings are being saved, but they are just not applied until the input settings menu has been opened once.

(Edit: And I'm not actually sure the original report is a bug at all - since the infinite propellant/electricity settings are part of the campaign save file, it's reasonable that they are reverted along with the rest of the universe on a revert operation. There's an argument to be made that because they're part of the campaign, they belong in a different menu from the (program-wide) "Settings" menu, but that's another topic.)

Edited by krbvax

41 minutes ago, krbvax said:

I don't think my report or the anonymous one above are the same as the original report - in our cases, the settings are being saved, but they are just not applied until the input settings menu has been opened once

you're correct- splitting those into their own  report. i did merge your report on the Cadet setting not being saved as it seems to fit the bill of this report, and its handier to have these all together than to have a report for every single setting that isnt properly saved