Poor Kerbals Progression Mode

Alright everyone, we're just two month out from For Science! and in the meantime, let's have some fun!

As of version 0.1.5.0, we don't have any form of progression int Kerbal Space Program 2, but it has become quite playable with the most recent update (do not discuss the playability of the game in this thread please). So let's build our own Progression Mode!

We'll use the Favorite system to implement our progression mode. Reminder: you can add and remove rocket parts from the Favorites menu using middle mouse click in the VAB. I recommend starting a new campaign for this mode.

Rule #1: You may only use the parts in your Favorites menu.

You start out with the part that are marked as Favorite in the beginning of your campaign and add parts by reaching accomplishments:

Rule #2: Every time you reach a new accomplishment, you may pick three (3) new parts to add to your favourites, and you can use those from now on. 

What are Accomplishments? So far I've been playing this with these accomplishments, but I'd love to hear other ideas as well:

Rule #3: Accomplishments are these:

• A) Orbit a celestial body for the first time
  • B) Land an uncrewed probe on a celestial body for the first time .
  • C) Land a Kerbal on a celestial body for the first time (and plant a flag).
  • D) Return all Kerbals from a first-time visit to a celestial body.

For Kerbin, my recommendation is to only give yourself parts for orbiting. Allow yourself all accomplishments to make things a bit easier if you're not as good in the game yet.

Since Mun, Minmus and even Duna are comparatively easy to reach, you'll progress quickly here. But after that, it gets harder as the planets and moons you can reach are farther out, resulting in a pretty good difficulty curve. A Jool-5 mission will give you a LOT of parts, but then again, that's a pretty challenging mission.

What do you think? What rules would you change? I'm trying this out right now and it's a lot more fun with a progression, even if its just home made.

Edited by breakthesystem

Okay so after playing for a bit I think I want to propose a more difficult version of Rule #2:

Rule #2-B:  Every time you reach a new accomplishment, you may pick three (3) new parts to add to your favourites, and you can use those from now on.  You can only pick the leftmost non-favourite part in each section, e.g. if you want to pick a Stack Decoupler, you have to pick the TD-6, then the TD-12, and so on.

D) should probably add that the number of kerbals sent and returned should be > 0, else someone could send a probe, return, and say "I returned all 0 kerbals! NO KERBAL LEFT BEHIND" :D

Also I cleared my favorites list somehow, is there a way to get that back, or does someone have  a list? It's even empty in a new save. It's a bit hard to reach orbit with 0 favorite parts :D

Haha yes fair point! I guess if someone wants to play like that, they can, but they'd rob themselves of  a bit of fun. 

Here's the list of starting parts I have: 

• Pod
    • Mk1 "Tin Can"
  • Methalox Tanks:
    • FL-T100
    • FL-T200
    • FL-T400
    • FL-T800
  • Methalox Engines
    • LV-909 "Terrier"
    • LV-T45 "Swivel"
  • Solid Fuel Booster
    • RT-10 "Hammer"
  • Stack Decoupler
    • TD-12
  • Radial Decoupler
    • TT-38K
  • Nose Cone
    • Mk5H Nose Cone
  • Parachute
    • Mk16

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.