Game window's location and mode sometimes change upon relaunching the game.

Horizon206

Bug Report

Reported Version: v0.1.5 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: Intel i5-8400 | GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti | RAM16 GB

Severity: Low
Frequency: High

Relevant graphical info: Three monitors, game resolution set at 1920x1080 with V-Sync turned off.

Upon starting the game, the window mode of the game (for a lack of a better name, the option that is either Fullscreen, Borderless, or Windowed) is often different upon relaunching the game compared the window mode that the previous instance of the game was on. While I am not 100% sure what the cause is, I am pretty certain that it has to do with both the window mode of the game's previous instance and the way that you closed that previous instance of the game.

On top of this, I also see that those two aforementioned factors also determine what monitor my game appears on upon launching it; sometimes the game only launches on the leftern-most monitor as opposed to the central monitor, which is my primary monitor that I always play the game on and also where the launcher appears. While I have already filed a separate bug report on this, I only looked at the closure methods in that bug report, but it appears that the game's window mode also has a role in this, so I decided to track that as well while doing this bug report.

Below is a chart of the combinations of all the factors and the reproducible results of each combination. Keep in mind that the ones with an asterisk ( * ) proceed to convert to Fullscreen after the startup credits fade away. The monitor that the game appeared in is located in brackets for each combination; the game's previous instance was always on the central monitor.

"Exit" option in the main menu

"Close Game" option in the

game's escape menu

"Close Window" option when right-clicking

the game's icon in the taskbar

Termination in the Task Manager
Fullscreen Borderless* (center) Borderless* (center) Windowed* (left) Windowed* (left)
Borderless Borderless* (center) Borderless* (center) Borderless* (left) Borderless* (left)
Windowed Windowed (center) Windowed (center) Windowed (center) Windowed (center)

Windowed

(Minimized)

N/A N/A Windowed (left) Windowed (left)

When the game is on Fullscreen or Borderless and is closed via the Taskbar & Task Manager, the game is is minimized before closure in order to access the Taskbar / Task Manager.

Because of this, I hypothesize that when the game is closed while minimized, it defaults to starting on the left monitor. Otherwise, it will start on the monitor that it was last played on.

As for the window mode issue, it seems that Windowed works as intentional, but upon relaunch, Borderless turns into Fullscreen after the startup credits and Fullscreen relaunches as either Borderless or Windowed (probably depending on if the previous instance was minimized when closing) and turning into Fullscreen only after the startup credits. 

And again, this is all reproducible on my computer/setup, but I'm not sure if this issue is reproducible for other people.

I probably rambled here for way too long, but hopefully this all helps!

Edited by The Space Peacock

2 answers to this question

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.