Orbital Survey [v0.9.4 for KSP2 v0.2.1]

Falki

3 hours ago, Beaker83so said:

How does one change the scan mode from Visual to Region? I have my satellite in the appropriate polar orbit but I do not see how to switch the mode. In the mini map view the selector for Visual/Region just greys out the map with text "Awaiting scan data..." 

Each antenna can only scan one type. You need a different antenna.

v0.9.4 Fixes and QoL

Fixes

• Fixed: science button won't flash anymore for Visual/Region mapping experiments - FYI @Spicat
  • :1437623226_rocket_1f680(3): Speculative fix: "Experiment interrupted. Not enough Resources" notification should no longer show up during high warp. This doesn't retroactively fix the notification spam for existing vessels, but it should work for new vessels - reported by Argon

Other

• All vessels that participated in scanning of the current level of the mapping milestone (25%/50%/75%/Complete) will gain the research report in their Research Inventory, so any vessel can transmit back the report to gain science. Of course, each report can only be transmitted once
  • Internal rework of how research reports are triggered, with insight from Kuriosity Science. If you notice some weird behavior with triggering reports (25%/50%/75%/Complete) please report it
  • Added Giant celestial body category. All bodies in the stock game are keeping their current categories (Small, Medium & Large). This is just a support for the 2.5x Kerbolar System and future mods that will add bodies with larger radii

Note: in order for Visual and Region mapping research experiments to show up correctly in Science Arkive, you'll need to update that mod to the latest version

I propose to make an option in mod settings to turn science from this mod off. There was someone in the discord who wanted the maps but wanted to rely on the stock science alone.

• 2 weeks later...

Love this mod, just the waypoints makes it worth an install. 
But I have an issue with Eve and to some degree Ike. Eve regions looks complete I can not see any black lines at all but is show up as 93%, Ike has a few missing areas, but is more like 98-99% complete not 93% who its all stuck on. 

1 hour ago, magnemoe said:

Love this mod, just the waypoints makes it worth an install. 
But I have an issue with Eve and to some degree Ike. Eve regions looks complete I can not see any black lines at all but is show up as 93%, Ike has a few missing areas, but is more like 98-99% complete not 93% who its all stuck on. 

Try checking the polar regions. I've missed them a few times, and it's not immediately obvious that they weren't scanned.

On 3/12/2024 at 5:06 PM, Cyal said:

Try checking the polar regions. I've missed them a few times, and it's not immediately obvious that they weren't scanned.

Thank you, satellite was not in an perfect polar orbit and as you say its a bit hard to see that they are not scanned. 

Good evening, Love this Mod

There is an existing setting:   "Show Legend when mapping is 100% complete"    Yes/No

Is there any chance of changing this to maybe include an "Always" setting.    Having the setting is good if some people feel the map legend is a spoiler.   But I personally like the legend, and find that even with a partial map, it can be good to see names of things like "crater" biome.

Specifically, I have 43% of Gilly mapped.   But my landing craft is getting frustrated at finding "Silicate Fields".   I keep flying OVER them -- it displays as my science biome if I mouse-over the "beaker" on the left.    However, no matter how fast I try to stop my "hop" and come straight down,   i always seem to actually LAND onto Highlands or Midlands.

So I am very curious to see if the "Silicate Fields" biome is a scattering of tiny dots, or what.     Or if the messages I was getting from the "beaker" icon were somehow bugged, and I was nowhere near it.

But its difficult to tell with any surity, (spelling?) without the map legend to label which color is which.

My reasoning on the Map Legend is that the craft is displaying the different biomes.    So, somewhere, either the craft, or back at KSC, someone already determined that each patch of ground is different for some reason, already.   So I guess I dont see any reason why they cant have tagged it with a name like "craters" when they did so.      To me, it feels perfectly in-universe/roleplay valid, for the legend to be displayed all the time.

Anyways, THANKS AGAIN for the mod.    Hope you find this idea useful!

-CFTeague2

ps.    maybe the setting needs to be reworded:     "Show map legend":    Never / Always / 100%       (or even have a slide bar for percent, but thats extra fancy and probably wouldnt matter to anyone?)

pps.   I guess, IF the map will eventually be able to show Discoverables, that might need a setting of its own.   I can totally respect that some people would consider discoverables as spoilers.

-CFT2

Edited by CFTeague2

On 3/3/2024 at 6:41 AM, Falki said:

v0.9.4 Fixes and QoL

Fixes

• :1437623226_rocket_1f680(3): Speculative fix: "Experiment interrupted. Not enough Resources" notification should no longer show up during high warp. This doesn't retroactively fix the notification spam for existing vessels, but it should work for new vessels - reported by Argon

Is it possible to turn them off entirely or maybe set them to only active vessel?

On 2/9/2024 at 7:49 PM, Falki said:

You can define Waypoint names and colors, however in Flight and Map3d view waypoints will always be yellow (limitation of the game)

Hi, I was about to mention that the color is always yellow even tho i made one waypoint "red" and one "green".

then I searched and found this.

search FTW.

Thanks again for the mod!

-CFTeague2

On 3/19/2024 at 12:50 AM, CFTeague2 said:

There is an existing setting:   "Show Legend when mapping is 100% complete"    Yes/No

Is there any chance of changing this to maybe include an "Always" setting.    Having the setting is good if some people feel the map legend is a spoiler.   But I personally like the legend, and find that even with a partial map, it can be good to see names of things like "crater" biome.

There are 2 reasons why the legend is only displayed when mapping is 100% complete.

First is from a gameplay perspective: players are rewarded with a legend when they complete the entire scan, so there's an incentive to do it. It also kinda makes sense that you'd first map the entire body, then analyze the results and then determine how you'd split a body according to different biomes present and then name them appropriately at the end.

Second reason is a technical one. For performance reasons there's no connection between the legend and the area of the body that is currently mapped. There's also no record of a region belonging to an unlocked pixel. Under the hood, region maps are nothing more than pregenerated 2d textures. As you scan the map, you "reveal" what pixels are hidden in the texture, but in reality those pixels are just copied from a completed texture to an empty/gray texture, again with no data for regions that are revealed. Legend is also pregenerated and displayed when mapping is 100% complete. So if a map is not 100% complete there's only an option to display the entire legend or not to display it at all (since I don't know what regions are revealed and what aren't). And I feel it would break immersion, be bad UX, if the entire legend is displayed when there's a real chance that certain regions aren't scanned yet. Of course, there are ways to retrieve what regions are revealed and what aren't yet, but that would be more taxing to the performance, which already isn't that great, and I feel it wouldn't bring much gameplay value TBH. Besides, if you can get to a point where you have a certain percentage of the map unlocked, in most cases it isn't hard to get it to 100% - it's just a matter of having inclination close to 90° and you'll get to 100% eventually.

On 3/19/2024 at 1:03 AM, Mitokandria said:

Is it possible to turn them off entirely or maybe set them to only active vessel?

In the mean time we figured out that "Experiment interrupted. Not enough Resources" is a stock bug, not related to Orbital Survey mod anymore. Radiation and Orbtal Survey mini lab (the part, not this mod) are generating these errors. If you remove those part you should no longer receive those errors.

Thanks.  (re: legend before 100%)

I personally would be ok with seeing the entire legend right from the start, but thats me, and maybe im an edge case.      I agree it would not be worth trying to determine which biomes had been revealed and which hadnt etc.

On the other issue, I do not get "Experiment Interrupted, not enough resources" from your mod, i can confirm.   

What I get, which is not a bug, is if my craft around eeloo is mapping, and its using power faster than my feeble solar panels can generate, is that I get spammed with the intended, stock message about running out of EC.     NOT a MOD ISSUE.      I did report this to the stock UI thread asking if there could be a way to disable these messages, perhaps for certain vessels.     (like, lets say we eventually get colonies and life support -- I might care if a manned vessel runs out of power and everyone's going to die.   but otoh, if some probe around eeloo cant see the sun for 60 days.   honestly, I dont care too much.   so I would disable that probe.   but we'll have to see what the std game decides to do)

-CFT2

1 hour ago, CFTeague2 said:

Thanks.  (re: legend before 100%)

I personally would be ok with seeing the entire legend right from the start, but thats me, and maybe im an edge case.      I agree it would not be worth trying to determine which biomes had been revealed and which hadnt etc.

-CFT2

Me too. In terms of gameplay, I can see the region names when flying over them, so “someone” already named them provisionally, even though the entire planet isn’t mapped. That I can’t elect to show it in the OS UI just comes across as annoying UX, as I can always keep my own legend on the side. There are good reasons to complete the scan without this reward.

15 hours ago, CFTeague2 said:

[snip]  I did report this to the stock UI thread asking if there could be a way to disable these messages, perhaps for certain vessels.  [snip]

I actually made a similar suggestion.

38 minutes ago, Smurfalot said:

Seems like there is a jump from the high 90's% completion to 100%, which I am ok with, but there is no corresponding science report.

When you hit 95% you're automatically rewarded with the final 5%. This is for handling edge cases where you're missing just a tiny bit and it's hard to locate where it is.

Though there should definitelly be a science report for 100%. There's 25%, 50%, 75% and 100%. With the latest version of Orbital Survey reports are generated on all vessels that participated in mapping the milestone that is unlocked, so in your case vessels that scanned from 75% to 100%. I might change that so that they're generated on all vessels that ever participated, even for a single pixel.

11 hours ago, Goddchen said:

Did a little exploration video of this awesome mod - nice work!

Thanks! It was really nice to see someone try out the mod for the first time and to see stuff you were struggling with. Gives me good insight into what I should probably clarify better for newcomers (like the body category for example).

Also, you can right-click on the map to add waypoints - useful for landing in specific regions. Also2, you can resize the window.

6 hours ago, Falki said:

Thanks! It was really nice to see someone try out the mod for the first time and to see stuff you were struggling with. Gives me good insight into what I should probably clarify better for newcomers (like the body category for example).

Also, you can right-click on the map to add waypoints - useful for landing in specific regions. Also2, you can resize the window.

Yeah, the body categories I didn't quite get at the beginning. Resizing the window, why didn't I think of that :blush: Found out about the marker feature after I captured the video :cool: 

Again, awesome mod, keep up the nice work. I think it is going to help me a lot doing to Under Pressure mission, soon.