Screen flashes to black and parachutes suddenly change position upon floating origin reset at 21km

Anonymous Bug Reporter

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 Home | CPU: Intel Core i5-10400F | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 | RAM8.00 GB

I do not know much about the technical inner-workings of the game so you'll have to forgive me if I have made incorrect assumptions. Occasionally during atmospheric flight/re-entry there will be a frame or two where the screen flashes to black. When the game resumes the parachutes on my craft have turned at an odd angle as though my craft's velocity or position has suddenly changed. To be clear the actual velocity was not affected and the game continued as normal but it was rather jarring. It is my guess that this was caused by whatever floating origin system the game uses not updating the visuals at the correct time. I do not have a screenshot of this as it happens and disappears too suddenly to catch.

Edited by The Space Peacock

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Win 11 22H2 | CPU: i9-13900KF | GPU: RTX 3080 Ti | RAM32.0 GB

Also in archives as:

Still buggy after P2. 21Km bug works going down too. Chutes snap-change location then swing back.

Included Attachments:

Edited by The Space Peacock

On 12/21/2023 at 4:56 AM, Anonymous Bug Reporter said:

OS: Windows 11 Home | CPU: Intel Core i5-10400F | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 | RAM8.00 GB

I do not know much about the technical inner-workings of the game so you'll have to forgive me if I have made incorrect assumptions. Occasionally during atmospheric flight/re-entry there will be a frame or two where the screen flashes to black. When the game resumes the parachutes on my craft have turned at an odd angle as though my craft's velocity or position has suddenly changed. To be clear the actual velocity was not affected and the game continued as normal but it was rather jarring. It is my guess that this was caused by whatever floating origin system the game uses not updating the visuals at the correct time. I do not have a screenshot of this as it happens and disappears too suddenly to catch.

Well, that is not surprising, when the World is snapped back to the origin from 21km, the difference between one frame and the next is huge: for physics, for accuracy of positions, everything. You are getting this problem because you are not using "floating origin". Real floating origin does not move the player/vehicle from the origin at all, ever.

Unfortunately, this is a common problem with all origin/world-shifting solutions. You can hack it with different size shifts, but that does not scale as you increase speed. Origin-shifting / rebasing will never be a general-purpose solution to large-scale Worlds because it falls foul of the rapidly lowering resolution of the underlying floating point numbers. 

Edited by cosmochristo

On 12/25/2023 at 3:46 PM, Filed.Teeth said:

OS: Win 11 22H2 | CPU: i9-13900KF | GPU: RTX 3080 Ti | RAM32.0 GB

Also in archives as:

Still buggy after P2. 21Km bug works going down too. Chutes snap-change location then swing back.

Included Attachments:

That video is a good demo of glitching from the fake floating origin algorithm.

Edited by cosmochristo
clarification of terms