Kethane Pack 0.9.2 - New cinematic trailer! - 1.0 compatibility update

Majiir

By the way, those who had lag in the map view: how's it doing after 0.7.2? ...measuring...

The new 'remember toggled state of overlay' helps with that regardless of any changes, so I haven't noticed yet. :) I've been toying with mcs (Mono C# compiler) and should be able to test sometime this week.

Sandworm: thank you for the heads-up! I can finally run the 64-bit ksp. Though I have only 4GB of memory :/, at least I don't have to worry about the 3GB virtual limit (3.5GB at the main menu!).

Shhhh...

The economy would crash if everyone realized how well KSP runs on dirt-cheep linux boxes. I also have only 4gb of ram yet am scanning Eve for kethane in one window, watching TopGear in another, and typing this into a third ... all on an athlonII X4 640 worth less than a new mouse.

Sandworm: thank you for the heads-up! I can finally run the 64-bit ksp. Though I have only 4GB of memory :/, at least I don't have to worry about the 3GB virtual limit (3.5GB at the main menu!).

I thought KSP was a hard coded 32bit program?

I thought KSP was a hard coded 32bit program?

the devs say that they can compile a 64-bit version at any time and that they have done so

the problem is that it randomly crashes all the time and it's really hard to find out why

Just loaded the KSP 2.02 and Kethane software. I have been using the mining in KSP v19. So far good. Mapped Kerbin and Mun. The hexagon mapping is interesting. It may will lead to better choices of picking landing sites for ships that land, mine and continue on it makes sense. http://i.imgur.com/NCFFnos.png I wonder if the "art" of mapping by choice of altitude is diminished a bit. This is not a complaint just a thought. I will play with it as time permits. Nicely done. - BJ Quest

By the way, those who had lag in the map view: how's it doing after 0.7.2? I know I made a few performance improvements, but without measuring I have no idea how much; it could be a lot or it could be completely negligible. (There's also the issue of what was improved. I reduced CPU load a bit but I did nothing to speed up rendering.)

I'm not sure if what I have is the same as everyone else, but in 7.1 I had constant stutter from the overlay. Now that (in 7.2) the overlay isn't calculating all the time, I only get hiccups while mousing over the map grid. I think a video will best show you what I'm experiencing... http://www.screencast.com/t/CapIVYwm (I'm in progress on setting up a complete stock, Kethane only, game where I can confirm this occurs with Kethane on it's own)

Regardless, it's playable and I love it. Thanks!

Specs for reference:

Kerbal Space Program - 0.20.2.186 (WindowsPlayer)

CPU: Intel® Core i7 CPU 870 @ 2.93GHz (8)

RAM: 8152

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series (1012MB)

SM: 30 (Direct3D 9.0c [aticfx32.dll 8.17.10.1172])

I'm experimenting with the grid shader to see if I can't get empty cells on the dark sides of planets and moons to show up. Take a look:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I'm not really happy with it yet, but I'll keep toying with it.

I'm not sure if what I have is the same as everyone else, but in 7.1 I had constant stutter from the overlay. Now that (in 7.2) the overlay isn't calculating all the time, I only get hiccups while mousing over the map grid.

Thanks for the video. In 0.7.1, did it perform much worse than what you recorded, or did it just do the same stuttering all the time? I'm trying to figure out how much of the performance hit is raycasting and how much is the vector->cell conversion. I have a couple ideas for optimizing the latter, but if it's the collider at fault, I'm going to have to get more creative.

I'm experimenting with the grid shader to see if I can't get empty cells on the dark sides of planets and moons to show up. Take a look:

Question: The location of deposits isn't changing from night to day, so could you please share your reasoning for hiding data on the night side of a body? Or, if I completely and totally misinterpreted what you were trying to say, what did you mean? I mapped Moho yesterday, and could see the hex grid fine, whether I was on the nightside, dayside, or inside of the planet.

Question: The location of deposits isn't changing from night to day, so could you please share your reasoning for hiding data on the night side of a body? Or, if I completely and totally misinterpreted what you were trying to say, what did you mean? I mapped Moho yesterday, and could see the hex grid fine, whether I was on the nightside, dayside, or inside of the planet.

Currently, unscanned cells only show up on the light side. I'm trying to change the shader so they're visible on the dark side, too.

I think he's talking about cells that have yet to be scanned

EDIT: Guess he beat me to it :sticktongue:

Wow, I hadn't used Kethane for a while and I come back to sexy, futuristic planetary overlays and awesome mining effects and parts.

Although I am seemingly getting the same lag issues as Black-Talon: When mousing over the planet with the grid enabled, the game suffers a significant fps drop. The drop seems to come from the tooltip, not so much the grid rendering itself.

My only other issue for now is the kethane show/hide overlay window doesn't remember where I put it, or what it was set to, and always pops up in the same exact spot covering my other info boxes.

Currently, unscanned cells only show up on the light side. I'm trying to change the shader so they're visible on the dark side, too.

Just started playing with v7 last night, and wow, impressive. The overlay scanning is hypnotic.

My two cents: I prefer not seeing the cells yet to be scanned, as in the look on the dark side. I think it is cool to have only scanned cells filled while the rest is normal terrain. I won't complain either way, as I love kethane. Really great work!

Thanks for the video. In 0.7.1, did it perform much worse than what you recorded, or did it just do the same stuttering all the time? I'm trying to figure out how much of the performance hit is raycasting and how much is the vector->cell conversion. I have a couple ideas for optimizing the latter, but if it's the collider at fault, I'm going to have to get more creative.

I reloaded 0.7.1 and can confirm that 0.7.2 has a lower glitch per minute density than 0.7.1. So there was an improvement. :-)

That said, I've discovered that I may be reporting a bit of a red herring (very sorry about that). Or at least something that I haven't been able to figure out. I can't get the glitch to reproduce on a stock setup with just Kethane installed. If I install many other mods the glitch while mousing over the grid will be there in the fresh install (but obviously that doesn't help at all). I've spent the afternoon enabling and disabling mods to try to narrow it down (while also enjoying a mojetto, so things could be worse :-p), sadly, I have not been able to narrow it down. It basically seems that once many mods are installed (memory usage while flying a stock craft is at or above 2 gb) the glitch shows up. But I've had various sets of mods installed and nothing seems wrong. When I install everything, the glitch shows up. I'm going to take a break from testing now, maybe I'll discover a mistake I made at some point and have better information.

-Talon

I've discovered that I may be reporting a bit of a red herring (very sorry about that). Or at least something that I haven't been able to figure out. I can't get the glitch to reproduce on a stock setup with just Kethane installed.

Don't worry about it. I've written another mouseover optimization; it'll now only resolve the geodesic coordinates when the cell being hovered over changes. I might also play with reducing the floating-point precision on all the grid computations, since it's overkill for everything except initial subdivision, I think.

[EDIT] Nevermind, that really won't work at all. Back to the drawing board.

Edited by Majiir

I profiled the mouseover routine (specifically, the part that converts a screen coordinate to a hex cell) and improved performance by a factor of 25. This should nicely resolve the stuttering issues some have observed. On my machine (i7-3770) the old routine peaked around 1.05ms per frame, and the new one runs in 0.04ms. The game only has one or two dozen milliseconds to render a frame, so a whole millisecond is a bit much for that routine, and lower-end hardware will have been spending even more time than that.

I just upgraded from 0.7.2 from 0.7.1 and now I can't exit to the space center or switch to another ship in orbit. Is anyone else having these problems?

Please provide your KSP/KSP_data/output_log.txt file. I can't do much without it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.