Kethane Pack 0.9.2 - New cinematic trailer! - 1.0 compatibility update

Majiir

In truth I don't think you'll need all those convertors and each one does use quite a lot of power. I'm guessing those 'fins' in the middle are clipped RTGs? I've done a lot of RTG work but usually end up supplimenting them with solar arrays to power it. Four XXL solar panels (from the hybrid ion pack) is more than sufficient at Kerbin orbit to power one of those things.

The way you've rigged it looks good. Liquid fuel and Oxidizer has to be connected directly to the convertor, either stacked to it or via fuel line. Kethane tanks, Monopropellant tanks and zenon tanks can be anywhere to be filled/used. Also any fuel lines you use HAVE to go towards the convertor, not away from it. The convertor uses negative fuel, it doesn't actually supply fuel.

Like I said, the layout looks workable from what I see, just be sure you have enough power. If those vaned structures are modded nuclear reactors then you should be good.

Your overall design looks good, but I'm not sure how the 6-way nodes work with fuel flow (not an issue for kethane itself, but it could be for LFO). Easy way to test is to replace the kethane tanks with fuel, put an engine on the end of the converters, launch and try burning on the pad.

That looks like it would be a lot of fun constructing in orbit :) (might need more docking ports for that)

Thank you all for your usefull answers,it helped a lot with finding out whether my design functions or not :)

I did as adviced by taniwha,and adde an engine directly to the converters and replaced the empty fuel tanks with full tanks. Turns out,the engines runs and there is no problem with the fuel crossfeed. Wanting to find out if the crossfeed would also work with Kethane,i downloaded Hyperedit and refilled the stations recources. It turned out the converters work fine even when not connected directly to a tank trough stacking or fuel line. Had all 4 converters running,Kethane drained and fuel/oxidizer filled back up through the conversion process.

So,i guess my design works as intended,wich surprises me given that i'm a complete novice when it comes to the Kethane mod :)

Yup Shroomofdoom, only Liquid fuel and oxidizer HAVE to be in the same stack or fuel line connected. Everything else can be anywhere on the ship, even connected via cable or trusses.

I profiled the mouseover routine (specifically, the part that converts a screen coordinate to a hex cell) and improved performance by a factor of 25. This should nicely resolve the stuttering issues some have observed. On my machine (i7-3770) the old routine peaked around 1.05ms per frame, and the new one runs in 0.04ms. The game only has one or two dozen milliseconds to render a frame, so a whole millisecond is a bit much for that routine, and lower-end hardware will have been spending even more time than that.

I just want to confirm that this did, as expected, address my stutter (in 0.7.3). It really is an impressive improvement and runs smoother than I was able to perceive it's previous slowness. Nice work going the extra mile with the profiler...not everyone does that. ;-) Very appreciated here!

And as always, extremely impressive mod overall. Really enjoyable. Thank you!

-Talon

BUG report:

This may or may not be kethane pack related. Other mods installed as well are:

MechJeb

BoJan (Quantum struts)

KWRocketry

Kethane 0.7.3.

Note, All mods are "supposed" to run in KSP 0.20.2.... I always check the version.

I just updated to kethane 0.7.3 and tested, still getting the white glob on Kerbin as I got with 0.7.2

If I remove the kethane pack, Kerbin returns to normal.

Also could be KWRocketry and Kethane pack do not play well together.....However the main KWRocketry thread is closed.

See image:

711245_orig.jpg

Please post your hardware specs, operating system and a copy of the output log, and also show screenshots with the overlay enabled. (Since the button arrows aren't showing up, I'm assuming you're on Linux.) The grid renderer is disabled when the "Show Grid Overlay" option is unchecked, so I find it unlikely this is directly Kethane related. What happens if you uninstall other mod packs and only install Kethane? This might be a weird issue where you're running out of memory (simply because Kethane adds about 120MB in parts).

Please post your hardware specs, operating system and a copy of the output log, and also show screenshots with the overlay enabled. (Since the button arrows aren't showing up, I'm assuming you're on Linux.) The grid renderer is disabled when the "Show Grid Overlay" option is unchecked, so I find it unlikely this is directly Kethane related. What happens if you uninstall other mod packs and only install Kethane? This might be a weird issue where you're running out of memory (simply because Kethane adds about 120MB in parts).

I removed 0.7.3 for now, running old 0.6.1.

The white glob shows as well even with grid on.

OS is Windows XP. 3.04 Ghz with 2 gigs ram. (I know, I'll get told I should not even attempt KSP on this old thing, but....I am.) Only running the bare essentials in background to keep memory free. I've learned how to tweak this old dog from experiences with Flight SimX, which "should" be more demanding than KSP, considering or in comparison to what ksp has to offer.

Also, had no glitches while running KSP Without KWRocketry and With Kethane 0.7.2 or 3. Seeing how large KWR is, it very well could be a memory issue. Also running on a cheapo Nvidia card, 8400gs with 1 gig ram. All graphics options are set to bare minimums in KSP settings.

Not sure how to post a copy of the log other than a wall of text here.

Edited by Thrundar
Added more info

BUG report:

This may or may not be kethane pack related. Other mods installed as well are:

MechJeb

BoJan (Quantum struts)

KWRocketry

Kethane 0.7.3.

Note, All mods are "supposed" to run in KSP 0.20.2.... I always check the version.

I just updated to kethane 0.7.3 and tested, still getting the white glob on Kerbin as I got with 0.7.2

If I remove the kethane pack, Kerbin returns to normal.

Also could be KWRocketry and Kethane pack do not play well together.....However the main KWRocketry thread is closed.

See image:

711245_orig.jpg

I had exactly the same problem, but nobody believed me it was because of kethane mod, I removed the mod temporarily and everything works fine, I can guarantee i didn't had this issue in earlier versions 0.6 and below, so something in the newer versions uses more memory.

I had exactly the same problem, but nobody believed me it was because of kethane mod, I removed the mod temporarily and everything works fine, I can guarantee i didn't had this issue in earlier versions 0.6 and below, so something in the newer versions uses more memory.

Yeah, I'm sure I'll be told "Buy a better computer". Usually that's the standard reply for glitches. Good to know I'm not the only one who this happened to with the white glob.

Oh, and no white glob on version 0.6.1 as well.

Edited by Thrundar

OS is Windows XP. 3.04 Ghz with 2 gigs ram. (I know, I'll get told I should not even attempt KSP on this old thing, but....I am.) ... Also, had no glitches while running KSP Without KWRocketry and With Kethane 0.7.2 or 3. Seeing how large KWR is, it very well could be a memory issue.

Yeah, that sounds like a memory issue. (There's really no way for KW to conflict with Kethane except by eating up RAM.) I'm surprised you're getting graphical glitches rather than a complete crash, but who knows what tricks Unity tries in low memory conditions.

I've analyzed the grid changes several times and concluded it uses less memory. The savings are even greater when you start using mods that add additional resources. The geodesic scan masks are a lot more memory-efficient than the old uncompressed textures. Not that any of that matters; the plugin never used more than a few megabytes.

The reason this is showing up in 0.7 is probably because Unity is doing something behind the scenes to avoid crashing, and the presence of the grid object in the map view trips it up. This is a case of Kethane revealing an unrelated problem. Like I said, the grid renderer is completely disabled when you uncheck the box; there's nothing I could have done wrong with the shader or anything else that would cause the artifact to appear when the grid is turned off.

Yeah, I'm sure I'll be told "Buy a better computer". Usually that's the standard reply for glitches. Good to know I'm not the only one who this happened to with the white glob.

It's not the standard response. However, in the case of memory issues, all we can do is suggest you turn down texture settings or buy better hardware. There's nothing I can do about you running out of memory. (The plugin uses a couple megabytes; the vast majority of mod-related memory usage is part assets, which are managed by Squad code.)

I'm having a number of strange issues.

I have the following mods installed:

Kethane

Extraplanetary Launchpads

Sphere Launchpad

HyperEdit

Sometimes in the VAB, I'll try to put a Kethane part on a vessel and nothing will happen, and afterwards I will be unable to put ANY part on the vessel - I hover over and click, and the attachment node disappears, but the part is not attached.

Sometimes in flight with a vessel with a Kethane part, I will be unable to end that flight and must close KSP.

Sometmes, when exiting a flight with a vessel with a Kethane part and returning to the VAB, the parts menu on the left side of the screen will be missing.

I don't know if I installed something wrong, or if it's an odd interaction between mods, or just something wonked with Kethane. Any help would be appreciated.

By any chance when you remove these objects is there a flickering version of one left behind? I've had this before with almost random mods, and I think (not sure) from stock KSP. What I've had seems random, and unfortunately stays with the craft file. Reloading it doesn't help.

Yeah, that sounds like a memory issue. (There's really no way for KW to conflict with Kethane except by eating up RAM.) I'm surprised you're getting graphical glitches rather than a complete crash, but who knows what tricks Unity tries in low memory conditions.

I've analyzed the grid changes several times and concluded it uses less memory. The savings are even greater when you start using mods that add additional resources. The geodesic scan masks are a lot more memory-efficient than the old uncompressed textures. Not that any of that matters; the plugin never used more than a few megabytes.

The reason this is showing up in 0.7 is probably because Unity is doing something behind the scenes to avoid crashing, and the presence of the grid object in the map view trips it up. This is a case of Kethane revealing an unrelated problem. Like I said, the grid renderer is completely disabled when you uncheck the box; there's nothing I could have done wrong with the shader or anything else that would cause the artifact to appear when the grid is turned off.

It's not the standard response. However, in the case of memory issues, all we can do is suggest you turn down texture settings or buy better hardware. There's nothing I can do about you running out of memory. (The plugin uses a couple megabytes; the vast majority of mod-related memory usage is part assets, which are managed by Squad code.)

Majiir. I did not mean that is your standard response, only that is what I usually get when there are glitches, or graphics problems on any software. Before I installed KWRocketry your Kethane 0.7.2 worked nicely for me. I think it's a good mod, other than the loading screen which shows the grids, (a bit of modesty on your end, or lack thereof? lol).

I hate ditching the KWRocketry pack, even though I trimmed it down. I enjoy having some engines and power with a lot less parts to use to get on up into orbit. I like your mod enough though that ditching KWR will most likely be what I do for now.

Trust me, a better PC is on my wish list.

ShroomofDoom, congrats on your progress.

So, how many detectors does it take to scan at 10,000x? I built one with 21 small detectors which works well at 1,000x, but isn't nearly enough for 10,000x. Maybe it's not worth the effort, but I'm curious if anyone has done it?

BTW, I get around power problems by putting my polar-ish orbit along the terminator. That way never goes into shadow unless I drop the inclination.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.