Kethane Pack 0.9.2 - New cinematic trailer! - 1.0 compatibility update

Majiir

It's a 2D map export since some other mods haven't gotten on the 3D map bandwagon. :P Rendering it in a timely manner is proving to be a challenge. I've brought it from 60-90 seconds to about 11 seconds now, but that's still pretty long.

Eh, I personally love the 3D overlay (as far as games are concerned, multidimensional always better imo). I think you should just work on making it easier to differentiate the overlay and the planet while in sun and shade (I believe u mentioned this before). Great work on Kethane overall Majiir.

It's a 2D map export since some other mods haven't gotten on the 3D map bandwagon. :P Rendering it in a timely manner is proving to be a challenge. I've brought it from 60-90 seconds to about 11 seconds now, but that's still pretty long.

Does it just dump a PNG into the Kethane directory or are you displaying it live in game? For export I think 11s is just AOK.

Niiice. I understand much of this game takes place in space, and thus there is not much to hear usually. But sounds do transmit through ship's structure - it will be nice to hear machinery working. Can you add some different sounds playing when someting happens? For example deposit runs out, tanks are full/empty or there is power shortage. Even generic alarm to get our attention would be useful.

Those sounds are awesome, but one would expect something like that to be a bit noisier.

The only sounds in that clip are open/close and cooling sounds. The actual conversion isn't played yet.

For the life of me I cannot get converted fuels to flow. I've put appropriate tanks above and below the converter and nothin' Had to scrap like 10 hour's work on the surface of the Mun because the resources just wouldn't flow, especially through KAS. Kethane really really really needs a test tank full of Kethane so I can make sure a design works before getting it on a celestial body.

For the life of me I cannot get converted fuels to flow. I've put appropriate tanks above and below the converter and nothin' Had to scrap like 10 hour's work on the surface of the Mun because the resources just wouldn't flow, especially through KAS. Kethane really really really needs a test tank full of Kethane so I can make sure a design works before getting it on a celestial body.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/35664-Kethane-Usage-and-Proper-Fuel-Routing

That will probably solve your fuel issues (that link is also in OP of this thread).

Also you can use the debugger to make deposit near KSC for testing.

Kethane really really really needs a test tank full of Kethane so I can make sure a design works before getting it on a celestial body.

KE-WAITNONOSTOP-01 Kerbal Unreconstitutionator.

Permadeath Crew Manifest makes that a bit distasteful. I'd also have to bring an extra kerbal during tests and waddle them over to their doom. It's all more trouble than closing the program, editing the file, and waiting for the few minutes to reload the program. And that's the level of inconvenience I was trying to avoid.

About the fuel flow rules. I'm well aware. Notice I had empty receptor tanks directly above and below the converter in the stack which should by the most compliant to flow rules ever. I think it had something to do with being attached to a docking clamp tower still.

Ultimately I want to connect a KAS cable/hose to a tanker and convert directly off the drill/refinery. During testing I seem to be able to transfer across this link but not convert directly to a tank on the other side which unfortunately requires that the source has a "buffer" tank. The smaller the buffer tank the more time I have to manually transfer the buffer over (try 50 LiquidH2 to fill a 50,000 tank). The bigger the more needlessly monstrous the contraption is.

It's all so hopelessly fiddly that I'm considering wiping the whole scheme and mining directly into a Kethane tanker and driving to a refinery. It wastes a lot of extra Kethane storage and requires much heavier launch equipment but at least I'll keep my hair planted in my scalp.

Permadeath Crew Manifest makes that a bit distasteful. I'd also have to bring an extra kerbal during tests and waddle them over to their doom. It's all more trouble than closing the program, editing the file, and waiting for the few minutes to reload the program. And that's the level of inconvenience I was trying to avoid.

You don't have to close out of the game, you can just quicksave with the vessel on the launchpad, then alt + tab, go to the quicksave file, edit the tank and save the file, then just quickload and the tank will suddenly be full. The game is remarkably resilient to modifying configs with the game open as well, then you just have to use the cheat menu at the space centre screen to reload the database :D

Edited by tazyload

That looks great. the ability to look at the 3D map is fantastic, but I would like that ability to look at the data in the 2D sense as well. as you are making / rendering this, can you also output the data in some form of a lat, lon, kethane value file as well??????

good stuff

DrTedAstro

How do I get rid of that grid?

See below.

Looking into the source on Github it looks like the value you want to set is ShowInMenu.

After some trial and error I figured it out. I placed ShowInMenu in the following location

ScanningSound = True

ShowInMenu = False

ShowOverlay = False

For some reason it kept reverting my changes when I placed it at the end although it might work for you there. So edit GameData/Kethane/settings.cfg and then start your game.

By popular request, I've been playing with something.

If that's a return of the ingame map, I'm all for it. The hex map is cool, sexy, high tech, buzzword, buzzword, buzzword - but nowhere nearly as useful as an actual map.

If that's a return of the ingame map, I'm all for it. The hex map is cool, sexy, high tech, buzzword, buzzword, buzzword - but nowhere nearly as useful as an actual map.

Really?

I find the hex map far more useful for finding a LZ. Better for seeing if multiple resources are close together too.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.