Kethane Pack 0.9.2 - New cinematic trailer! - 1.0 compatibility update

Majiir

If that's a return of the ingame map, I'm all for it. The hex map is cool, sexy, high tech, buzzword, buzzword, buzzword - but nowhere nearly as useful as an actual map.

Agreed. The overlay is useful sometimes, but not all the time. (Take a look at ISA MapSat. If the "overlay" (planet surface) was good enough, ISA MapSat wouldn't exist.)

Agreed. The overlay is useful sometimes, but not all the time. (Take a look at ISA MapSat. If the "overlay" (planet surface) was good enough, ISA MapSat wouldn't exist.)

ISA is over-rated imo. Its really no different than looking at the map screen (except on the map screen you can actually see the natural roll of terrain changes....something ISA dont really show). The only Info ISA gives you that map screen wont is terrain height, and now there are reliable, readily available radar altimeters thats kinda pointless now too.

The drills will only use charge if you are actually extracting kethane. If your not over a deposit they wont use charge.

Yeah, and I've been meaning to change this. I still need to consolidate some of the extractor code since currently the two drills have fairly different logic.

can you also output the data in some form of a lat, lon, kethane value file as well?

Yes. This was requested long ago but the old scan format didn't facilitate exporting that kind of data. With the grid, it's a simple loop.

If that's a return of the ingame map, I'm all for it. The hex map is cool, sexy, high tech, buzzword, buzzword, buzzword - but nowhere nearly as useful as an actual map.

It's not. The 2D map is for export only.

I'm not sure why some of you think a 2D map is more useful. I can see that it's useful in conjunction with other 2D maps like ISA, but imagine if those same maps were projected on a 3D surface. It's not so much a shortcoming of the 3D format as it is a shortcoming of ISA. The export function is there to help people out but I have no plans to return to a two-dimensional format, and the raw image export might not make it in depending on how the deposit and scanning revisions turn out. I do aim to support at least some kind of data export, and per-cell data might be the more appropriate way to do that. (Rendering an image is really a gigantic pain. Go support this request if you want to make it a tad easier.)

Oh, thank you for the map export Majiir! The hexes are excellent for most ingame purposes, but being able to check the topography of my deposits via ISA overlay is greatly appreciated. Looks neat too.

I'm not sure why some of you think a 2D map is more useful.

The 2D map doesn't have a night side. And using an ISA Mapsat type interface you can see all the planets from a single vehicle without having to switch. And you can see the whole planet at a single glance. Etc... etc...

I can see that it's useful in conjunction with other 2D maps like ISA, but imagine if those same maps were projected on a 3D surface.

You'd have the same disadvantages and problems that Kethane's 3D map has, with very little advantage. 3D maps are cool and high tech, but they have usability problems.

It's not so much a shortcoming of the 3D format as it is a shortcoming of ISA.

I've been a cartography geek for nearly forty years, and yeah, it's a shortcoming in the 3D map in this context.

The 2D map doesn't have a night side. And using an ISA Mapsat type interface you can see all the planets from a single vehicle without having to switch. And you can see the whole planet at a single glance. Etc... etc...

You can see the hex map on any planet from the tracking station, no need to even make a single ship active....

You'd have the same disadvantages and problems that Kethane's 3D map has, with very little advantage. 3D maps are cool and high tech, but they have usability problems.

Usability problems? I think your generalizing your own issues with it... I have no problems using the hex map, its better for landing, better for browsing multiple maps at one, better for finding resources close together....better in every way but one...you can move it ove the ISA window anymore, oh well.

With the release of accurate radar altimeters ISA is obsolete anyway...

Also, KerbalGPS (figaro gps) + radar altimeter = more accurate and more realistic than ISA =P

Edited by KhaosCorp

With the release of accurate radar altimeters ISA is obsolete anyway...

Also, KerbalGPS (figaro gps) + radar altimeter = more accurate and more realistic than ISA =P

I've always just really enjoyed scanning planets and making maps. I've never actually used the Mapsat maps...that's not the point. :P

Wanted to post this here before filing a report, since the forum seems to get more attention:

KSP is crashing for me on Linux x86 whenever the flight view loads. This counts for any ship, with or without Kethane parts, and it occurs both on new launches and when joining a flight started without the mod. It also doesn't create an output_log.txt where the wiki says it should, and the terminal says only "Aborted (core dumped)".

Has anyone seen this happen before? Does it deserve a bug report?

I'm performing my first proper kethane scan and have found a massive deposit of both kethane and ore (I have the EL mod installed too) right under the KSC; is this deliberate, or have I just hit really lucky? I note almost nothing else in inland - already planning my drilling platforms...

Wanted to post this here before filing a report, since the forum seems to get more attention:

I pay just as much attention to Github. As an added bonus, I get e-mails every time an issue is posted on Github, whereas I have to manually check the forums. Please follow the bug reporting guidelines I've posted; they're there for good reason.

[EDIT] You may be running into this issue: https://github.com/Majiir/Kethane/issues/78

I'm performing my first proper kethane scan and have found a massive deposit of both kethane and ore (I have the EL mod installed too) right under the KSC; is this deliberate, or have I just hit really lucky?

Yep, you got lucky. The deposit generator doesn't do anything for specific locations. Then again, a combined deposit under KSC is only very useful for testing. For actually launching rockets, you already have KSC right there.

Could you please fix the center of mass of the big drill?

It is too much off center, in fact almost outside of the model, making my craft very hard to balance. ;.;

If the CoM of that drill is so far off that's its messing with your ship, are you sure your ship isn't too small for such a large drill? The smaller drills might suit it better.

I'm not saying not to fix it if its broken, just an observation :)

I just threw a large drill, by itself, into the VAB and checked the CoM. The ball is exactly halfway outside of the bottom of the canister. It's horizontally centered though, so i'm not sure where your balance issues are coming from. I use 3 large drills on my mining rig and have never had an issue with it being out of balance. The low CoM should help with stability, unless, are you trying to mount them horizontally? A pic of your craft might help here.

DL'ed this mod the other day and found it to be great fun to actually have a reason to go to other planets other than just for the spirit of exploration. Two things though: First, are we supposed to be able to see the filled-out Kerbin hexmap from the main menu? Second, is there a way to disable the smoke output from the heavy drills, if I even put one down I get 1-2 fps from the smoke output, as soon as it clears, my fps goes back to normal.

Second, is there a way to disable the smoke output from the heavy drills, if I even put one down I get 1-2 fps from the smoke output, as soon as it clears, my fps goes back to normal.

Open the heavy drill part config file and change the MaxEmission and MinEmission properties on both particle emitters.

DL'ed this mod the other day and found it to be great fun to actually have a reason to go to other planets other than just for the spirit of exploration. Two things though: First, are we supposed to be able to see the filled-out Kerbin hexmap from the main menu? Second, is there a way to disable the smoke output from the heavy drills, if I even put one down I get 1-2 fps from the smoke output, as soon as it clears, my fps goes back to normal.

To your first question yes you are supposed to be able to see the hexmap on the main menu (I doubts its correct/truthful on kethane placements in the game, IDK). However if you dont like it, you can disable the kerbin hexmap on main menu by altering the cfg file. I cant answer your second question you have, hopefully someone else will.

Edit: Haha Majiir faster than me.

How many mods do you have installed. You may have pushed KSP over its memory limits, sounds like problem I had for a while.

i'll try removing some mods.

i have many mods to do experiments with.

B9 aerospace, firespitter parts, airships, KAS, H.O.M.E pack, more ion engines, pirated weaponry, lazor system.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.