Kethane Pack 0.9.2 - New cinematic trailer! - 1.0 compatibility update

Majiir

I have a problem

I want to use the Kethane scanners and drills to use them for the Extraplanetary Launchpads mod too. So I don`t need to use those over-sized animation-less ugly parts.

So, I thinking about to use the scanners to detect Kethane or Ores. Once at each time. and the drills to drill ores or Kethane also once at the same time.

And finally to use the converter to convert ores to metal and metal to rocket part.

How can I use the parts for EL too?

Thanks

Compare the cfg files in both mods. You should be able to tease out what is different and similar between them.

I have this exact problem with the current version: https://github.com/Majiir/Kethane/issues/135

The Kethane overlay works perfectly on Kerbin, but it doesn't show up at Minmus. The only way I can make it appear, is to zoom out, but the overlay only lasts for a fraction of a second, and it's sized way bigger than Minmus.

As far as I understand, the old issue was blamed on MechJeb, but I've never ever used that. I even tried removing every other plugins I had, but even with just Kethane, the bug remains. Are there any solutions?

Forgive me if this has already been asked,

does the kethane probe (say on a satellite) always scan for kethane or do you have to be "focused" on that craft for the kethane to map? In other words, can I launch a satellite and put it in an orbit, then come back to that satellite days or weeks later and find the planet/moon has been mapped?

TB

It's a limitation of KSP. Only the current ship you're "flying" is fully operational. For close in work like docking you may switch back and forth once they're within 500 meters and the docking will proceed. (With MechJeb doing the docking autopiloting.) AFAIK Kethane doesn't do that even if you have two or more miners down within 500 meters of each other.

Same thing with the Kethane scanners. If you want to scan somewhat faster, launch one into a polar orbit, one between polar and 45 degrees and one between 45 degrees and equatorial. Switch to each in turn and crank up the time warp. Using various orbits like that overlaps to help fill in what each one misses and you can do some small plane adjustments to catch more missed spots rather than shifting the plane of a single satellite all over the place. For Minmus I just sent one satellite with one large scanner and a big fuel tank. For Mun I put a pair of small scanners on a mining rover and used it to scan the Mun before choosing a place to land.

First thing I did after installing Kethane was launch three scanning satellites over Kerbin. Second thing I did was grump a bit over how only one at a time worked. ;P

Once you have the planet or moon mapped, may as well deorbit the satellites, unless you're doing science in career mode or put ISA MapSat on the same bird.

Already exists some pages back.

Really? Damn. My search-fu has been weak then.

Eh, at least I've spent some fun time figuring out ModuleManager. And now I've got Kethane spread across the tech tree exactly how I'd like it to be. Thanks, though.

I managed to do some changes to some parts. It need to have Extraplanetary Launchpads and Kethane.

It basically:

-use the Kethane_radialdrill to mine Ore

-both scanners now scan Kethane and Ore at the same time

-both converter convert the original Kethane resources and now convert Ore to Metal, Metal to Rocket Parts

Edited by Leonov

Hmmm, that is not fully true.

There are Mapping and Scan Systems that work finifine even while you not fly them

(SCANSat for example)

SCANsat can work while unfocused because it doesn't drain electricity.

I found a mistake

the part "kethane_radialDrill" does not show up in the game.

the problem is with the "category = -1" its need to be change to "category = Utility"

I just wanted to report that :)

This isn't a mistake. It's intended as per the 0.8 change history.

I managed to do some changes to some parts. It need to have Extraplanetary Launchpads and Kethane.

if this is against the license or such I will remove the download link. But if not, feel free to download :D

The Kethane license forbids distribution of modifications. You should read licenses before doing something that potentially violates one, not after.

The Kethane license forbids distribution of modifications. You should read licenses before doing something that potentially violates one, not after.

I have no idea why he included the models and such, because all he changed were the config files... Technically he could have just written the lines he added, straight into his forum post...

Anyways... my problem with the bugged out Minmus kethane overlay got solved by terminating my only flag on the surface of Minmus. I have no idea, why that flag was a problem, it took me hours to figure it out... I don't even care any more, I'm just glad it works now.

Edited by Damocles

Majiir has a pretty useful API written into Kethane, you should check it out.

That's the thing, I'm not a modder myself, and I feel pretty uncomfortable when I'm in the files editing them. So such an API doesn't do much for me.

That's the thing, I'm not a modder myself, and I feel pretty uncomfortable when I'm in the files editing them. So such an API doesn't do much for me.

Then you have no need for him to open his code up more. As far as config file changes go, whether through manual changes or ModuleManager script, I think Majiir would be pretty open-minded about that sort of thing so long as you're not redistributing original files. ModuleManager scripts should be the way to go anyway, it's a great tool for users as well as developers. You can also ask nicely; Majiir wrote that into the license.

have been playing around with this mod a little bit

added it to my tech tree so i can have it career mode and thought of some other posibilitys

2 other type of servay device

requires you to be close to the surface range 2000m but it penetrates deep for kethane saturated ore ( requires special drill to extract and another device to refine ) then can be processed into normal kethane

this could be use for long standing outposts and infastructure

sell kethane for (money or science) good conversion 1000 kethane for .5 science till you can find the deeper deposits wont produce to much sciance

maybe better return if returned to KSP

i think i also saw a mention of water kethane any kethane extracted form water can have a different yield

love going and gathering the stuff up have huge fule depot just stocked up on kerban and mun

and a few km away have refinerys to keep lag down

ibxo7iNb4mloZH.png

I've been implementing the raycasting algorithm I came up with a few days ago. It accepts raw height data and builds a min/max table for each subdivision level, which is about a hundred times faster than the current method which builds a full-fledged collision mesh. Then it produces a list of candidate cells (shown in green) from a ray. The only requirement for these steps is that one of the candidate cells be the cell we're actually casting through, which is usually the case but there are a couple problem spots. I think I've worked around those, but my fix involves a hand-tweaked value which only works if it's high enough and hurts performance if it's too high.

The last step is to check each of the triangles comprising the candidate cells and pick the cell with the nearest triangle intersection. I haven't written this part yet, but it should be fairly straightforward.

well this broke my ksp .22, i was using the last kethane pack (.07) from .21 in my gamedata until i noticed that drills were not working at all..like..they wouldnt pull any kethane out of the ground, so i updated. Now when i go to the tracking station...i cant click on any vessels and fly them. the fly button wont work and back refuses to either. i downloaded the new version from this thread ;_;. i have a ton of other mods installed so i cant say if theyre interacting with kethane to cause it...would it be an old version of the extraplanetary launchpads?

Edited by KFS

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.