Kethane Pack 0.9.2 - New cinematic trailer! - 1.0 compatibility update

Majiir

Turning on Debug seems to break my kethane. The menu shows up as a small green patch with no visible buttons, it cannot be moved, and the grid cannot be toggled. Help please.

Just one of those things that hasn't been fixed yet. Try exiting and restarting the game, more than once if need be. Eventually the Kethane window in debug mode will display correctly. Then you can fiddle with things until you get Kethane where you can get at it. I did that until I got a hex right at KSC.

@Galane> It doesn't show up. If you turn debug on, the window may appear once on a reload and the initial scene you go into, however, when you swap out to another scene, that particular UI gets messed up.

DEBUG is off for now on my box. I know where the problem is, but I've no idea on how to even begin to fix it.

Is there any plans to make Kethane scanners run while the ship is not loaded? For example the SCAN Sat mod let's you put probes in orbit scanning the surface and they keep scanning while the ship is not loaded so you can go do other things.

I use Alarm Clock mod and have transfer windows and node burn points setup for a lot of flights in progress. So sitting and watching over a probe while it slowly scans the surface is often not viable as I have to focus on another ship and often end up with big gaps in scanned area that seem to keep missing because the probe seems to only be over that area when I have other burns scheduled. Also it's kind of boring scanner the surfaces since you are limited on how fast time acceleration is.

Next up what is the point of the Medium scanner? Sure it has longer range but this actually makes it worst. The closer your ship orbits the faster it has to go and thus the more ground it covers in a shorter time period. It would be nice if the Medium Scanner actually helped you scan faster, like scanning multiple hexes the higher up it is. Sort of like how SCAN Sat's High Res Sat needs to be in a higher orbit in order to scan a larger area of land per pass.

Next up what is the point of the Medium scanner? Sure it has longer range but this actually makes it worst. The closer your ship orbits the faster it has to go and thus the more ground it covers in a shorter time period. It would be nice if the Medium Scanner actually helped you scan faster, like scanning multiple hexes the higher up it is. Sort of like how SCAN Sat's High Res Sat needs to be in a higher orbit in order to scan a larger area of land per pass.

There is a code patch already suggested that lets the Medium Scanner cover more territory when at higher altitude to help make it more worthwhile.

-Brian

Also it's kind of boring scanner the surfaces since you are limited on how fast time acceleration is.

There is NO limit to how fast you can time warp and scan for kethane...just need to have enough scanners to support the warp speed.

This is kinda the point of the medium scanner...higher altitude lets you time warp fast and complete the scan in less realtime.

This does however tend to create issues with players that do alot of overlaping missions. Personaly I plan around scanning missions...when I plan to have a new probe in place a create a window of the few days need so I can scan on warp mostly uninterupted.

Also keep in mind if your using a proper orbit scanning really should not take that long.....takes about 11 days mission time to get a 99% complete scan of Kerbin. Further, 9 times out of 10 you really only need a kethane scan to about 70% or so to drain a planet dry..most planets can be drained with even less...40% or so for most moons.

Actually, why do scanners not speed up while warping?
Why would they? They don't pan left or right. They only look straight down.

I think he means, if the scanner scans - say - 10 times per second of real-world and in-game time at 1x warp, why doesn't it scan 1000 times per second of real-world time when you are warping at 100x in-game. That is a very valid question and I don't know the answer but I assume it's a limitation of the game.

I think he means, if the scanner scans - say - 10 times per second of real-world and in-game time at 1x warp, why doesn't it scan 1000 times per second of real-world time when you are warping at 100x in-game. That is a very valid question and I don't know the answer but I assume it's a limitation of the game.

They sort of do, but there comes a point at which the cells are passing below the scanner between physics frames, which your system can only handle sped up so much. IIRC, it's a physical limitation of the way the mod works, which is to query every cell for kethane when it's above it. I THINK SCANsat does predictive scanning, where it actually queries PQS ahead of time and in the background, allowing for higher time warps before you get the stutter effect.

Also, anyone else have any advice for my debug problem?

Debug functions are mostly borked....only thing you can do at this time is enable them and keep restarting the game till it pops up right. Then use it that once and disable it, cant leave it on anymore.

Kinda a pain I know, but this is only workaround for debug functions that works.

They sort of do, but there comes a point at which the cells are passing below the scanner between physics frames, which your system can only handle sped up so much. IIRC, it's a physical limitation of the way the mod works, which is to query every cell for kethane when it's above it. I THINK SCANsat does predictive scanning, where it actually queries PQS ahead of time and in the background, allowing for higher time warps before you get the stutter effect.

But one small scanner at 50x warp will miss cells where one large scanner at the same orbit and warp won't. Put two small scanners on the ship and cells won't be missed.

They're down, apparently. Looks to be DNS. Unless this is resolved, or Majiir comes back, Kethane may be dead. :( (Which is why I dislike the license pertaining to redistribution, that being not permitted to redistribute)

Why would you think a short-term service issue means an entire plug-in is "dead." If the links remain down for more than a few days, then it's time to get worried. In the meantime, a polite PM to Majiir might help, or posting a specific issue about the download on at the Github bug tracker might be more productive.

They're down, apparently. Looks to be DNS. Unless this is resolved, or Majiir comes back, Kethane may be dead. :( (Which is why I dislike the license pertaining to redistribution, that being not permitted to redistribute)

According to his profile page Majiir has been offline for almost 12 hours. I don't really see that as dead and abandoned...

I was going to use a heavily sarcastic reply, but I don't know how literal the people here would take it.

I'm trying to add the Kethane generator and when I activate it, it doesn't recharge my batteries and stays at 0.0%. I have it directly on top of a kethane tank and still no difference. Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong?

Is there kethane in that tank?

Edited by iStickyDuck

Is there a way I can instantly scan a whole planet for Kethane? I'm trying to test my stuff but I don't know where the kethane is and I would rather not wait hours to scan the whole planet...

You can reveal all cells by clicking a single radio button in the debug menu, but unfortunately, debug is currently FUBAR.

According to his profile page Majiir has been offline for almost 12 hours. I don't really see that as dead and abandoned...

I was going to use a heavily sarcastic reply, but I don't know how literal the people here would take it.

Unfortunately, too literally.

While development is slow, I'm reasonably sure Majiir would not kill any of the mods he is in charge of. He'd sooner pass it off to another person. After all, he's also maintaining KAS for Kospy. Besides, with kethane's popularity, you really think he's just up and leave like that?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.