Part failure, or bug?

Superluminaut

1 of 3 parachutes failed to deploy yesterday. 

They were all on the same craft, snapped on with the triangular symmetry tool. All on the same stage. One of them would not deploy even when manually hitting deploy. It was not damaged. Identical clone to the other two as far as I can tell.

The Kerbals did survive. Good thing it came down over water.

Do we have random part failures?

Same thing happened to me... descending through the atmosphere at a reasonable rate
-Staged the drogue chutes. Out of 4, 2 deployed. The other two remained packed, tried deploying manually, fiddling with the arming system and deploy parameters to no avail.
- Nonetheless, acceptable speed reached, staged the main chutes. Out of 4, a single one deployed. Same  extra procedures to try and get the rest open. Nothing worked. Failed to land with the final 22m/s. Reloaded pre re-entry. This time, 2 of the 4 main chutes deployed. Touch down happened at 10m/s,  barely slow enough to survive on land.
And I thought I overdid it with the chutes in the VAB... next time I'll bring 16 instead of 8, I guess?

• 2 weeks later...

I had this recently also. I had a mk1 pod, 2 radial drogue chutes rotated 90° on top, and 2 radial mk1 chutes right underneath them, normally oriented.

I popped the chutes about 5 seconds after the thermal effects wore off, but only the drogues deployed. I tried everything the op did, no joy.

Splashed down at 13ish m/s, somehow survived.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.