How does collecting science actually work?

Go to solution Reply by JoeSchmuckatelli,

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask but could anyone clarify how collecting science works... It seems like maybe some is collected automatically? I press the magic science button when it flashes but I'm not sure if that does anything... Does the science Jr need to be activated manually at certain points? Does the science button activate it? Does it collect automatically? I've tried to monitor it myself but the results seem unreliable and with no list of collected or missing science I'm struggling to figure out where to target for more...

• Solution
On 1/17/2024 at 6:48 AM, CosmikDebris said:

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask but could anyone clarify how collecting science works... It seems like maybe some is collected automatically? I press the magic science button when it flashes but I'm not sure if that does anything... Does the science Jr need to be activated manually at certain points? Does the science button activate it? Does it collect automatically? I've tried to monitor it myself but the results seem unreliable and with no list of collected or missing science I'm struggling to figure out where to target for more...

You don't really have to do anything but push the button when it flashes. 

It is totally automatic. 

Sadly - it will flash even in zones where you have already collected all the Science - so don't get frustrated.  Just push the button every time it flashes.

You can send 'data' back to the KSC via any antenna that will reach, presuming sufficient electric charge.  Samples have to be returned. 

When you have collected all the Science you can, regardless of whether you're in the original vehicle or not, you will get all the Science if you return any craft back to Kerbin. 

Example - you fly an Apollo style mission to the Mun.  While in space the button flashes and you push it to get science.  You separate the lander and descend - it's carrying the Science you had on the combination craft (both craft have all the science).   The lander lands and the button flashes so you get more science - this time, the lander has more than the ship in orbit.  The Kerbal gets out and walks a ways - and the button flashes again.  The Kerbal has all the Science from the lander, plus the new. 

Return the Kerbal to the craft and both have all the Science.  Go back to space and

A) dock - combined craft has all the science. 

B) fail to dock, but spacewalk the Kerbal to the return craft - all 3 have all the science. 

Return any of the 3 (return craft, Kerbal or lander) to Kerbin... You get ALL the science - and it's magically erased from the others. 

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

12 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

You don't really have to do anything but push the button when it flashes. 

It is totally automatic. 

Sadly - it will flash even in zones where you have already collected all the Science - so don't get frustrated.  Just push the button every time it flashes.

You can send 'data' back to the KSC via any antenna that will reach, presuming sufficient electric charge.  Samples have to be returned. 

When you have collected all the Science you can, regardless of whether you're in the original vehicle or not, you will get all the Science if you return any craft back to Kerbin. 

Example - you fly an Apollo style mission to the Mun.  While in space the button flashes and you push it to get science.  You separate the lander and descend - it's carrying the Science you had on the combination craft.  The lander lands and the button flashes so you get more science.  The Kerbal gets out and walks a ways - and the button flashes again.  The Kerbal has all the Science plus the new. 

Return the Kerbal to the craft and both have all the Science.  Go back to space and

A) dock - combined craft has all the science. 

B) fail to dock, but spacewalk the Kerbal to the return craft - all 3 have all the science. 

Return any of the 3 (return craft, Kerbal or lander) to Kerbin... You get ALL the science - and it's magically erased from the others. 

Thanks for this, I spent a little time trying to figure it yesterday and I think I was getting confused by all the repeated empty data slots as you say.  Thanks for the concise explanation!

• 1 month later...
On 1/19/2024 at 4:36 PM, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

NP - glad to help!

Just be aware that while a Kerbal can take all the combined science to the other ship via EVA, if you have a rover and no Kerbal, the only way to transfer data etc. is to dock. 

This means, that if my Satellite (Probe) have collected some samples as well, dockig is the only possiblity to get the samples or is there any other solution for this? (e.g. Kerbal on EVA gets very close, grabing the probe or any similar than this)

4 hours ago, BeakyBuzz said:

This means, that if my Satellite (Probe) have collected some samples as well, dockig is the only possiblity to get the samples or is there any other solution for this? (e.g. Kerbal on EVA gets very close, grabing the probe or any similar than this)

I haven't played for a while (waiting for 'Landed State" bug to be fixed) but IIRC your Kerbal actually has to touch the craft.  I could be mistaken, however, as the game might require the Kerbal to be 'docked' (in a rumble seat or inside a cabin).

That said - once one 'thing' has the science, anything that docks with it or separates from it has all the science until transmitted / delivered and then all have none (or whatever remains.  c.f. data transmission vs sample delivery)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.