Duna aerocapture not possible without shielding?

First mission to Duna to investigate the monument.  In KSP1 aerocapture from Kerbin was fairly easy on Duna with a PE of around ~15km - 20km with no heat shielding.  Just point the engines retrograde and hold on.  However, just tried this at 25km and my Poodle engine exploded.  Tried again at 30km with the same results.  Ended up giving up and burning retrograde to capture.

I know they keep tweaking heat effects but has anyone done a successful aerocapture on Duna with no heat shields?

5 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Not tested yet but as I understand you need heat shield for an Duna. Perhaps airplane parts works instead? 
Plan to test Duna landings this weekend 

Ah ok.  I didn't realize shields were needed.  So use to doing this with KSP1.

1 minute ago, Biggen said:

Ah ok.  I didn't realize shields were needed.  So use to doing this with KSP1.

Yes, just read it here on the forum. In ksp 1 it was not needed as you say. That is if you was in low orbit. 
If not they was needed, like here. 
haN9M8V.png
MaxQ at 7g. 

Zmb10mA.png
Probably the wildest thing I did in KSP 1, but it saved 3k m/s so worth it. 

• 1 month later...

I landed on duna last week without heat shields. I did use some fuel to slow down a bit. Maybe 200 m/s? I'm not sure though. Just enough to not burn the craft to a cinder haha

I noticed that the heat model in ksp 2 is less forgiving than in ksp1. I once travelled to duna in 120 hours and used aerobreaking to land (in ksp1). I don't recall the exact speed I  entered the atmosphere...but it sure was at ludicrous speed haha. In this case I did use a heat shield, but hardly any ablator was used! I don't know if I could do this in ksp 2 though haha. I should try!!

I made a small video of the mission if you're interested.

Edited by xendelaar

8 hours ago, xendelaar said:

I landed on duna last week without heat shields. I did use some fuel to slow down a bit. Maybe 200 m/s? I'm not sure though. Just enough to not burn the craft to a cinder haha

I noticed that the heat model in ksp 2 is less forgiving than in ksp1. I once travelled to duna in 120 hours and used aerobreaking to land (in ksp1). I don't recall the exact speed I  entered the atmosphere...but it sure was at ludicrous speed haha. In this case I did use a heat shield, but hardly any ablator was used! I don't know if I could do this in ksp 2 though haha. I should try!!

I made a small video of the mission if you're interested.

Impressive, 18 km/s reentry at Duna. It would not work in KSP 2 as orbital lines freak out if they leave Sun orbit. Ran into this returning to Kerbin and having 7 km/s dV left. 
I tried my method above on Laythe, it did not work well as Laythe's mass would accelerate you up 2 km/s more than your initial speed, might have worked for an minimum energy burn however and works better for smaller stuff than 100 ton bases :) 

As for Duna in KSP 2 no heat shields needed if done correctly. If you just drop Pe to 30 km I believe you need them, but doing an 80-100 m/s braking burn and heat shields are not needed as long as you don't have heat sensitive stuff on bottom or side of lander. Had an rover lander with an probe core on the bottom of an side tank because some mistake and it exploded. On top and you are good. 

Wait. You went to laythe with a 100t payload? Did you record any of that?  Would love to see it :) that must have been a pretty big transfer ship!

I tried to make a ship with a  200 ton payload  in ksp 2 the other day and my computer did NOT like that... i got 2 fps on the launchpad. It made me rage quit haha. 

In my duna mission in ksp 2 i used 4 stumpy medium hydrogen tanks soaking up all the heat.  That went great! I'm glad we don't need heat shields there. :)

6 hours ago, xendelaar said:

Wait. You went to laythe with a 100t payload? Did you record any of that?  Would love to see it :) that must have been a pretty big transfer ship!

I tried to make a ship with a  200 ton payload  in ksp 2 the other day and my computer did NOT like that... i got 2 fps on the launchpad. It made me rage quit haha. 

In my duna mission in ksp 2 i used 4 stumpy medium hydrogen tanks soaking up all the heat.  That went great! I'm glad we don't need heat shields there. :)

This was in KSP 1, it was an base who could produce fuel, had an greenhouse and could manufacture small parts 
DaRAhwk.png

Here Laythe base getting topped off in Minmus orbit for the drop down to LKO for Jool transfer, know its the Laythe one because the SSTO.
Chemical then two stages with nuclear engines with crossfeed, dV is a bit misleading as the ore tanks was full and would create more fuel for nuclear engines before braking at Laythe. 

Better view of another of these standard bases at Tylo.
gSvW0Mu.png

Note the landing engines. This was an multi stage lander with crashing stages who was challenging to land :) 

Current Jool mission is more modest but has more dV.
Anxepr7.jpg

Wow. Stunning vessel. Must have taken quite some time to design that behemoth! Where did you land the base on laythe?  On land or in the ocean? I find that landing on land is quite the challenge, since the ground is pretty sloped.

How many nuke engines did you use as a tug haha. There are so many visable in this picture!

Are two large solar panels enough to power the drills and reactor in the joolian system?

Are the vectors enough to get of from Tylo? 

Your ksp2 model also looks cool. Can't wait for more parts te come out so we can make proper bases!! :)

4 hours ago, xendelaar said:

Wow. Stunning vessel. Must have taken quite some time to design that behemoth! Where did you land the base on laythe?  On land or in the ocean? I find that landing on land is quite the challenge, since the ground is pretty sloped.

How many nuke engines did you use as a tug haha. There are so many visable in this picture!

Are two large solar panels enough to power the drills and reactor in the joolian system?

Are the vectors enough to get of from Tylo? 

Your ksp2 model also looks cool. Can't wait for more parts te come out so we can make proper bases!! :)

Don't remember there I landed was somewhere flat close to equator, think I landed the SSTO first. 

Used around as many 1.25 meter engines you can fit around an MK 3 tank 12 I think, 9 for for second stage, first and second stage was disposable, 3 was an reusable tug who could land. 

Base used an nuclear reactor from a mod, so solar was just for standby. 

And Tylo base had twr higher than 1 but it was not even close to reaching orbit. 
Had an transport who could land, refuel and reach orbit again for Tylo.