[MOD REQUEST] Logfile Management

kspkat

If anyone needs a mod idea ... There exists a problem in KSP1 where mods are for some reason spamming to the log file causing FPS drops and outright freezes of the game. When you ask modders to ratelimit or prevent spamming of the logs they refuse. When you ask them to implement simple data tests before accessing or modifying the data, they refuse. Now you end up with a 10GB log file size and a bunch of NRE spam in your log file because of bad input/data testing, error handling and logfile management.

What to do?  Create a mod for log management.

I am thinking features such as:

• Overall or Per mod rate limit (more than X number of same log entry per second is ignored)
  • Log a warning regarding XYZ mod's spamming of the logfile (only once needed)
  • Add setting INFO/WARN/ERROR where INFO logs everything, WARN only logs warnings and errors, ERR only logs critical errors
  • Ability to block a specific log line from repeating
  • Automatic prune log file over X megabytes/gigabytes
  • Manual clear log file button

I would make a mod similar to this myself but am incapable.

I think this would help performance and prevent wasted disk space / life due to log spamming which seems to be a trend in KSP. I believe this would be better than outright disabling logging. You could see the log spammed 10 times, then see the warning that a certain mod is spamming an error. This would help limit logfile bloat and also help troubleshoot which mod is causing the logfile spam.

It'd be nice to see someone take on this task. It would be helpful to new users experiencing logfile bloat.

Edited by kspkat

1 hour ago, kspkat said:

When you ask modders to ratelimit or prevent spamming of the logs they refuse. When you ask them to implement simple data tests before accessing or modifying the data, they refuse.

Is either of these things true?

I have had several years of experience with KSP1 modders, and it's pretty rare that they would simply outright "refuse" anything, let alone an eminently reasonable suggestion to improve logging.

Edited by HebaruSan