Starlab may produce science for incorrect biome in some cases

Robin Patenall

Bug Report

Reported Version: v0.2.1 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 (64 bit) | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 | RAM65450 Mb

Description:

I believe (99.9%) that I caught the Starlab producing samples / data for the wrong biome during time warp.

• I had a Starlab in a low polar orbit of Kerbin (about 113km)
  • I had done the experiment for Water, Ice and Desert biomes successfully
  • I was doing the experiment for the Moutains biome ("Running requires Mountains")
  • I was at 10x time warp
  • The experiment timer reached zero when I was in a region where the biome changed rapidly
  • Instead of getting data / samples for the Mountains biome I got data / samples for the Highlands biome
  • I had not been running the experiment for the Highlands biome.
  • I was able to repeat the experiment for the Mountains biome and complete it successfully.

I suspect that there may be an issue with the Starlab producing data / samples for the biome that the vessel is currently over when the timer reaches zero, rather than the biome that it was running the experiment for and my vessel changed biome at the very last instant, giving me the erroneous science.

This is likely to be very difficult to replicate, so I am submitting this in hope that a dev may have a quick inspection to see if there is anything obvious and if anybody else notices the issue they can add to this post.

Edited by DibzNr

2 answers to this question

Your assessment seems to be correct, there is a small delay between the biome changing and the starlab actually pausing its progress (being in a lower orbit makes this more apparent), if the experiment finishes during this small delay then it will be counted for the biome the vessel is currently over instead of the biome the experiment was initiated over.

image.thumb.png.929648efd9b9af441e001e43581929de.pngimage.thumb.png.add41db61c64e555b89c2a53ee05cd75.png