How to make dragless crafts

jounce

(thanks @Nazalassa)

1. Use a fairing of an appropiate size as the root.
  2. Put an engine plate of the same size inside the fairing.
  3. Put something of the same size onto the node thats hanging in midair that appeared because of the engine plate.The default settings of the engine plate should be okay,so please don't change them!
  4. Create the fairing.
  5. Move that something into the fairing.
  6. Put everything you want on top of the engine plate.(Don't put intakes,wings,airbrakes,deployable solar panels,or parachutes.Those components need air flowing thru them to work,and our deployable solar panels deploy using no energy because of the use of the currents of kraken gas in space,which get blocked by fairings and cargo bays and service bays too.Also,the fairings block heat radiation but not light,even though they are the same thing,for some reason.Anything that spews out anything else needs to be moved using the translation tool until it is poking out,and 0<poking out amount<1/2 of the length(i.e the COM of the spewer needs to be inside the fairing,but the spewy end needs to be outside)

https://kerbalx.com/jounce/umm-this-is-dragless Sample craft(Suborbital rocket with no drag)

Edited by jounce

Also,if you want to eject parts of the rocket that are not useful midflight,either:

• Those parts do not contain the engine plate,the fairing,or the thing thats on the engine plate
  • You must make another dragless craft as the next stage,then insert it onto the current stage,connecting using the node beneath the fairing

BTW I'd advise removing the fairings and engine plates from the staging thing.

6 hours ago, jounce said:

Put an engine plate of the same size inside the fairing.

Actually, any engine plate would work. You can offset things outside if they are attached to a node of the engne plate (except the one that hangs mid-air), and they will experience no drag.

36 minutes ago, Nazalassa said:

Actually, any engine plate would work. You can offset things outside if they are attached to a node of the engne plate (except the one that hangs mid-air), and they will experience no drag.

oh ok thanks! :)

39 minutes ago, Nazalassa said:

Will parts that are attached to the engine plate but moved out of the fairing and the engine plate get intake air or lift?Will parachutes/deployable solar panels work?

1 hour ago, Nazalassa said:

except the one that hangs mid-air

actually that also answers the question i posted on your topic.i put the engines on the midair node instead of where they came from.

6 hours ago, jounce said:

Will parts that are attached to the engine plate but moved out of the fairing and the engine plate get intake air or lift?Will parachutes/deployable solar panels work?

No, they will be aerodynamically 'shielded', so the game forbids deploying them, air-intaking them, etc. Robotic parts work though, but they can't change the shielding of any part: if they were shielded at launch, they will remain so, even if you use a piston to push them out of the fairing.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Nazalassa said:

they will remain so

After an F5/F9 or change of root part(i.e decouple) they will go to their new state.

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1wA41177j3/?spm_id_from=333.337.search-card.all.click

(stratzenblitz75's video about making an eve ssto using magic wings)

Ah right those shielded by node connections can't change their state unless something explodes.I was refering to those shielded by a fairing.

Edited by jounce