Clipping Parts To Rover Wheels For Rotating Parts / Axels/Swivels

Robotic parts are a way down the line I understand but please could you allow clipping to rover wheels to make rotating parts. I desperately need this for new creations.

This was so useful in Garry's mod back in the day to come up with crazy builds.

I think this would also keep others like me happy who like to create unusual builds that are not necessarily space crafts.;p

Edited by Madishmike

Honest question: like what?  I have 150 hours or so in game now and have not found the need for them.  I managed to deploy a rover by just tipping my carrier vehicle over.  Robotics seems like a low return per invested hour of development time in my estimation making it sensible that they aren't prioritizing it.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, steveman0 said:

Honest question: like what?  I have 150 hours or so in game now and have not found the need for them.  I managed to deploy a rover by just tipping my carrier vehicle over.  Robotics seems like a low return per invested hour of development time in my estimation making it sensible that they aren't prioritizing it.

Well a few ideas off the top of my head would be a space station that has rotating parts to simulate gravity as a example if we are talking traditional builds.

It's more for unusual designs such as building say a giant robot with moving arms and legs as a example. Possibly a helicopter but one I would like to do is a combustion engine. Need a crank shaft of sorts to do that.

Not wanting to use the wheel as intended but more of a axle if that makes sense.

The reason I'm mentioning the robotics parts is for the hinges and rotating servos. Pretty sure in KSP1 you could modify the servo so it could do full rotations. May have been a swivel joint. possibly a mod but you get the idea.

Edited by Madishmike

9 hours ago, Madishmike said:

Well a few ideas off the top of my head would be a space station that has rotating parts to simulate gravity as a example if we are talking traditional builds.

It's more for unusual designs such as building say a giant robot with moving arms and legs as a example. Possibly a helicopter but one I would like to do is a combustion engine. Need a crank shaft of sorts to do that.

Not wanting to use the wheel as intended but more of a axle if that makes sense.

The reason I'm mentioning the robotics parts is for the hinges and rotating servos. Pretty sure in KSP1 you could modify the servo so it could do full rotations. May have been a swivel joint. possibly a mod but you get the idea.

Looking at the rotating station parts and I tought if you could add parts to the rotating ones. 

We're already getting rotating station parts. They appear like they will be largely cosmetic rather than for attaching parts to them for some functional reason. I thought I saw suggestion that we might get prop motors but not arbitrary rotating parts for custom building them.

I wouldn't count on any parts added just for the sake of wacky builds. There is still far too much game to focus on that dev time won't likely be spent on more toy-like elements.

KSP is still mostly a space simulation game, not so much an arbitrary physics sandbox.

4 hours ago, steveman0 said:

We're already getting rotating station parts. They appear like they will be largely cosmetic rather than for attaching parts to them for some functional reason. I thought I saw suggestion that we might get prop motors but not arbitrary rotating parts for custom building them.

I wouldn't count on any parts added just for the sake of wacky builds. There is still far too much game to focus on that dev time won't likely be spent on more toy-like elements.

KSP is still mostly a space simulation game, not so much an arbitrary physics sandbox.

Yeah, I get what your saying. Think though it would appeal to a wider audience if you could build more wacky builds that all.

9 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Looking at the rotating station parts and I tought if you could add parts to the rotating ones. 

I didn't know about possible rotating station parts. Could be interesting :happy:

I think the wacky physics simulator space is a lot more overcrowded than the somewhat realistic space agency simulation space. Colonies, interstellar, and multiplayers will do far more for the game's reach than robotic parts, IMO. Maybe after 1.0 as they suggested.

Absolutely, great suggestion!

The lack of KSP1-style robotics parts is a glaring omission in the current game! It severely limits more complex builds. Clipping to wheels is a nice easy interim solution that requires basically zero dev time. I don't want to wait another three years until after they have done colonies and multiplayer etc before I can build the stuff I could build in KSP years ago!

16 hours ago, Original Grahamster said:

Absolutely, great suggestion!

The lack of KSP1-style robotics parts is a glaring omission in the current game! It severely limits more complex builds. Clipping to wheels is a nice easy interim solution that requires basically zero dev time. I don't want to wait another three years until after they have done colonies and multiplayer etc before I can build the stuff I could build in KSP years ago!

Thanks! This is exactly how I feel about it too and like you said, a fairly easy implementation with little dev time. Such a simple idea would allow some really crazy out of the box creations. 

On 3/29/2024 at 5:03 AM, steveman0 said:

Never thought on adding something to the rotating parts of the modded KSP 1 parts but they was physical as in the structure would punt an kerbal hit by them. But they was also retractable for launching. 
For me the robotic parts in KSP 1 was a bit to buggy to be really useful but used them to recover some capsules on the Mun, add docking port on capsule have arm mounted at bottom of base to dock with it take off an let it dangle below, get close to recovery probe and have it dock and return to Kerbin.