Petition to have "Abort Flight" button blow up ships with no Kerbals (probes)

I think right now the abort button on the left hand side of the flight screen doesn't do anything unless you set it up to do specific things, which makes sense because the game doesn't know what craft you build and doesn't know how to save your Kerbals with every design you have. I did just have a thought though that would be fun to see in game, I think that if we could explode our space ships/planes that are controlled by probe it could be fun to watch from time to time. It would be cool to get to see more explosions when I'm flying because I feel like I only see them when I'm crashing into a surface. I of course don't want random explosions whenever but if I decide to press that button that could itch the "blow something big up" part of my brain. Just a thought this morning, happy Wednesday.

P.S. badly typed sorry

No real need to program this.  Just add the C4 part into the part tree. (explosive charge)  Then the designers can set the charges to the abort button via the actions menu.  Regardless if there is a Kerbal on board or not.  Admit it some of you would utilize this!

So we really should ask the devs to include a C4 charge in the part tree.

45 minutes ago, DaveLChgo said:

No real need to program this.  Just add the C4 part into the part tree. (explosive charge)  Then the designers can set the charges to the abort button via the actions menu.  Regardless if there is a Kerbal on board or not.  Admit it some of you would utilize this!

That would be fun! Its also good as it makes it a design decision for the player

On 4/18/2024 at 4:08 AM, DaveLChgo said:

Agree with this. Would be fun and handy for people that don’t play with reverse to launch and loading quick safes. Maybe also have an option of explosion being delayed (by setting a timer after triggering. For example blowing up lower stage after crew capsule is away from booster (like falcon-9 test)

On 4/18/2024 at 3:08 AM, DaveLChgo said:

I used to use a mod in KSP1 called Tac Self Destruct which was basically this. The part could be staged or manually triggered, have a configured countdown and then destroy itself, destroy itself and it's parent part (turns anything into a decoupler) or destroy the whole vessel.

It was very helpful for dealing with spent stages and empty fuel tanks in deep space or for those annoying parts that you couldn't do EVA construction with.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.