Modular Climate & Weather Systems - Development Thread

Release thread:

This thread is for the development of a mod I am working on called Modular Climate & Weather Systems (MCWS), which is meant to allow climate and weather data (and possibly simulations) to interact with KSP's physics systems in a modular fashion.

I am creating this thread to get feedback and suggestions. I also currently don't have any climate data to use with this thing, which is something I would like to have before a full release.

Completed features:

• Functioning API to take in data from other plugins and interpret it for use in the flight scene. Can currently take in wind, temperature, and pressure data.
  • A very refined stock wind simulation.
  • GUI that displays various aerodynamic and thermodynamic information.
  • New set of prograde/retrograde markers that display prograde/retrograde but adjusted for wind.
  • Reader plugin that can read .bin files of climate data based on configs.

Current To-Do List:

• Make some kind of climate data for this thing.
  • (insert additional things that may come up)

Installation
Download from:
Github: https://github.com/CashnipLeaf/ModularClimateWeatherSystems/releases

Dependencies:

Documentation (WIP): https://github.com/CashnipLeaf/ModularClimateWeatherSystems/wiki

Source: https://github.com/CashnipLeaf/ModularClimateWeatherSystems/tree/main

License: MIT

Edited by CashnipLeaf

Posted (edited)

I'm still trying to figure out what sort of climate sim software/library might fit my needs best. If anyone has any advice or can point me in a direction, that would be much appreciated. (particularly one that can also simulate not-earthlike planets)

Edited by CashnipLeaf

So, @R-T-B and I figured out how to get ExoPlaSim to work, and I also confirmed that I can read the outputted .npy files as is, since they're a type of binary file. I will need to modify my reader plugin for the ExoPlaSim files since they have the data arranged a bit differently from how I take in data in the main plugin, but that's hardly a problem. 

On 4/26/2024 at 9:04 AM, CashnipLeaf said:

WHELP.

image.png?ex=662c48f0&is=662af770&hm=f0b8bd5e7476ccd053c6d4638dd163613920735c0d32a968479090143ebc9fae&=

So much for that, I guess.

discord has a timer that automatically invalid links unless you refresh the timer by posting it again on the same Discord server, so it is not recommended to use it to host files

18 minutes ago, ssd21345 said:

discord has a timer that automatically invalid links unless you refresh the timer by posting it again on the same Discord server, so it is not recommended to use it to host files

Good to know. Ty.

I don't know why,
I don't want to know why,
I shouldn't have to wonder why,
but somehow, I created a Kerbin whose equator is just barely above freezing in ExoPlaSim. :confused:

21 minutes ago, Spartwo said:

That's a step further than I ever got with the program

Yeah, they don't provide much in the way of documentation on how to properly install and set up the thing.

For anyone who wants to set it up, here's what worked for us:

1. Install Ubuntu 18.04 on your machine, or possibly a WSL (unsure if it works on Ubuntu 22.whatever, but you can try).
  2. Install the package libblacs-mpi-dev and everything listed on ExoPlaSim GitHub page, including everything it lists as "optional" or "recommended".
  3. pip install exoplasim

P.S. running a Laythe approximation led to the model outputting garbage and then crashing :valjoy: