[1.12.x] Advanced Atmosphere Tools (v1.2.0)

I don't know why.
I don't want to know why.
I shouldn't have to wonder why.
But somehow, Thatmo outlasted both Laythe and Tekto despite being even colder than either of them. (Laythe crashed on year 2, Tekto on year 4, Thatmo on year 9)

HOW???

3 hours ago, CashnipLeaf said:

I don't know why.
But somehow, Thatmo outlasted both Laythe and Tekto despite being even colder than either of them. (Laythe crashed on year 2, Tekto on year 4, Thatmo on year 9)

HOW???

I wish I was more versed in such things so that I could help you. But I really admire that you’re sticking to this awesome project. You have our thanks!

Modular Climate & Weather Systems has been updated to v0.9.5

• The “0” index for the longitude axis has been redefined as the prime meridian (0 degrees longitude) compared to the previous -180 degrees longitude. Any configs requiring a longitude offset have received one. (NOTE: flowmaps are not affected by this change)
  • Added a new timeOffset key to provide additional flexibility. This means you can use longitude offset to sync climate with terrain if needed, then use the time offset to sync climate with planet rotation.
  • Added a data set for OPM's Thatmo.
  • Fixed a bug that prevented flowmaps from being loaded.
  • Corrected some errors in the data configs.
  • Various other improvements.

1 hour ago, Nightside said:

Does anyone know if wind velocity can be increased beyond 1.5x?

Currently no, but I can increase that limit if desired. (you're crazy btw <3)

The mod seems to be working well on steam deck, btw :cool:.

That's a pleasant surprise. Good to know!

23 hours ago, CashnipLeaf said:

I don't know why.

HOW???

thatmo be like

Current Objective: Survive | Know Your Meme

On 6/12/2024 at 9:57 AM, Nightside said:

Does anyone know if wind velocity can be increased beyond 1.5x?

The mod seems to be working well on steam deck, btw :cool:.

@Nightside 
In fact, using the plotting tool you can see the different wind speed scales at different altitudes.
I will release this tool when I finish mapping the existing planets in MCWS.
https://github.com/Aebestach/MCWSComprehensiveTool 

jEpW452.png
LLhAKgG.jpg

Edited by Aebestach

On 6/11/2024 at 8:17 PM, CashnipLeaf said:

Currently no, but I can increase that limit if desired. (you're crazy btw <3)

Yes please, some of us can’t help putting our Kerbals in Bad Situations.
Would 10x speed and variability be possible?

Yes please, some of us can’t help putting our Kerbals in Bad Situations.
Would 10x speed and variability be possible?

10x speed is possible, but why???

Variability is a random %, and the max I’ve set is 10% (default is 5%). I could possibly raise the limit on that to like 15 or 20%. 

Posted (edited)

Modular Climate & Weather Systems has been updated to v0.9.6

• Added a new debug mode, intended for those who want to test their own climate data or just see some of the inner workings in action.
  • The integrated binary file reader can now read files encoded with double precision.
  • Added the ability for external plugins to edit MCWS flight handler data via the API. (Documentation will be updated Soon™️)
  • Minor performance improvements.
Edited by CashnipLeaf

Modular Climate & Weather Systems has been updated to v0.9.7

• Added an option to blend the temperature data set with stock temperatures. This may give a greater semblance of a day/night cycle if the raw temperature data lacks one. (not recommended on tidally locked worlds)
  • Wind variability is now calculated separately for all 3 components, meaning slight deviations in wind direction are now possible.
  • The binary file reader now has protections against reading beyond the end of a file stream. (I had assumed C# would do this automatically, but apparently that is not the case)
  • Fixed several bugs related to FAR compatibility 

Next update will probably be a fat one. I'm planning to add a new system for defining climate features using textures, not unlike how flowmaps are used to define wind patterns. Details for that are still being worked out, but I hope it will make this mod more accessible for planet modders since they live and breathe textures.

On 7/6/2024 at 9:40 AM, VlonaldKerman said:

How difficult would it be to tie visual effects like clouds, rain, etc. to the weather simulation?

The question comes back to how much resolution can you store / load / stream
As long as you pass a rendertexture to EVE it doesn't care
With that said my brain has reached saturation, please do not throw projects in my direction
Until the dust from deferred settles at least lol

This is blackrack's reply

Posted (edited)

A new test version of Modular Climate & Weather Systems has been released.

I mentioned in a previous post that I would be adding the ability to use maps/textures to define climate features. To that end, I have come up with three new maps for MCWS to use:

• Temperature offset map: adds a straight offset to the temperature. This is intended to make certain regions persistently hotter or colder.
  • Temperature swing multiplier map: adds a multiplier to the day/night temperature swing. This can make the temperature swings more or less extreme in certain regions.
  • Pressure multiplier map: multiplies the pressure in the region by some value. This can be used to add a region of higher or lower pressure to your body.

This test version includes support for these new maps, and is only available on the Github repository:
https://github.com/CashnipLeaf/ModularClimateWeatherSystems/releases/tag/v0.9.8.0-test

The release includes an example config and a couple of hastily-drawn textures that I used for testing purposes. I do not recommend actually using them in-game; they are intended to be used as an example. I encourage anyone wanting to try this to come up with more intricate, detailed maps than the ones I have provided.

The Github wiki has also been updated with information on these new maps and how to write configs for them. 

Once this version is marked as stable, it will be uploaded to SpaceDock.

Please report any and all bugs as soon as possible. <3

Edited by CashnipLeaf

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Full (re-)release v1.0.0
The mod's name has been changed to Advanced Atmosphere Tools to reflect the new focus of providing ways to manipulate atmosphere properties on a less-than-planetary scale.

Full Change notes:

• Five new texture-based options for defining climate have been added:
    • Temperature Offset Map: adds a straight offset to the temperature. This is intended to make certain regions persistently hotter or colder.
    • Temperature Swing Multiplier Map: adds a multiplier to the day/night temperature difference. This can make the temperature swings more or less extreme in certain regions.
    • Pressure Multiplier Map: multiplies the pressure in the region by some value. This can be used to add a region of higher or lower pressure to your body.
    • Molar Mass Offset Map: adds an offset to the atmosphere molar mass. Can be used to mimic changing atmosphere composition with altitude, or add a region of locally different atmo composition (such as the plume of a volcano)
    • Adiabatic Index Offset Map: adds an offset to the adiabatic index. I don’t expect this to get a whole lot of use unless you have gone down the thermodynamics rabbit hole, but it’s there if you want it.

All maps can take in multiplier curves for both altitude and time, and multiple of each can be added to any given body. They are meant to compliment the existing flowmap system to allow you to more easily define climate features for various bodies.

• Added floatcurves for setting molar mass and adiabatic index based on altitude.
  • Flowmaps now have a setting to control east/west scrolling. This setting is also included in all the new texture-based options.
  • Pressure data now has the option to be blended with the “stock” values, similar to temperature. For both temperature and pressure, this option will be forced if both binary data and texture-based options are in use on the same body.
  • Pressure data and pressure maps now affect engine ISP, among other part stats.
  • Binary data is now considered a legacy feature. It will not receive any more updates beyond what is needed for compatibility with new features. You are still perfectly free to create your own data, though.
  • Top Level Node changed to "AdvancedAtmosphereTools". Backwards compatibility is provided for configs with the old "MCWS_DATA" top level node
  • Various bugfixes

I will also be uploading this to CKAN Soon™.

Edited by CashnipLeaf

6 hours ago, urturino said:

Hi, since the upgrade to v1.0.0 i don't have any wind.

I suppose i still need the MCWS_PlanetData folder, even if it's not in the 1.0.0 zip, isn't?

Can i use the one of 0.9.7?

Yes, they can be used with no modifications.

Advanced Atmosphere Tools v1.1.0

What's new:

• Added a new "atmosphereIsToxic" config option that, when set to "true" and when applied to a body with an oxygenated atmosphere, will make kerbals unable to breathe in the atmosphere, while letting jet engines function unimpeded.
  • Added the ability to customize the message displayed when attempting to remove the helmet when the atmosphere is listed as "Toxic" using a config option named "atmosphereIsToxicMessage".
  • Fixed a broken extension method that would lead to incorrectly-applied wind vectors.

Would be nice if the Planet temperature or wind speed were multiplied by the distance to the Star (the idea being is if you have an eccentric orbit, the base values are for your average orbit distance if eccentricy was 1). So closer to the planet wind/temps increase and farther they decreased. I guess if someone timed it correctly it could be manually inputted to ensure the weather pattern cycles matched with the orbits?

1 hour ago, PicoSpace said:

Would be nice if the Planet temperature or wind speed were multiplied by the distance to the Star (the idea being is if you have an eccentric orbit, the base values are for your average orbit distance if eccentricy was 1). So closer to the planet wind/temps increase and farther they decreased. I guess if someone timed it correctly it could be manually inputted to ensure the weather pattern cycles matched with the orbits?

It is possible to time it correctly using seconds as the time metric. However, I could also add an additional float curve to all maps based on true anomaly (the position of your orbit relative to periapsis, in degrees), which should cover the cases you mentioned.

• 2 weeks later...

Development update:

In the very near future, I will be adding a bunch of functionality that uses True Anomaly as the input variable. This will more easily allow for changes in atmosphere properties to occur over long time frames.

I have also gotten a request to replicate the functionality of the now-deprecated Sigma Heat Shifter mod. To quote OhioBob on what that mod did:

Spoiler

The way KSP computes temperatures, normally the hottest time of day would be when the hour angle is 0° (noon) and the coldest time of day would be when the hour angle is 180° (midnight).  Of course this isn't how it is in real life because the air continues to heat up well past noon until the sun is finally low enough in the sky that things starts to cool off.  To account for this, KSP shifts everything 45° so that the hottest time of day is halfway between noon and sunset, and the coldest time of day is halfway between midnight and sunrise.  The problem is that this 45° shift is hardcoded.  This makes it impossible to correctly do atmospheres for things like tidally locked planets.  Heat Shifter adds a parameter to the Atmosphere node called maxTempAngleOffset that allows us to set the offset to whatever number we want.

I would probably add this value to the AdvancedAtmosphereTools node rather than the body’s atmosphere node so I can stay independent of the Kopernicus parser.

Finally, I am considering making a set of example textures and configs that could be used and/or adapted for various bodies. I am still working out details on this, but I know for certain that I would put them under a public domain-equivalent license, so that anyone could use them for their own planets if they wanted to.