Cannot control rover on Moon

Hi,

I have a question about my rover (with RSS and RP1 mod). In simulation, I can control the rover on Earth without any issues. When I land it on the Moon,  MechJeb autopilot works fine but the rover doesn't respond to my keyboard inputs. I've already tried changing the rover's control key bindings from WASD to the arrow keys, but this hasn't resolved the issue. Could you help me figure out what might be going wrong?

Posted (edited)

Is it crewed?

If not, does it have probe and antenna?

If so, does your world have Commnet running?

If so, are you in range of a suitable relay satellite

If so, can you provide more information?

(Hmm, I see you say MechJeb can run the rover on the Mun...  Curious.)

Edited by Hotel26

3 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

Is it crewed?

If not, does it have probe and antenna?

If so, does your world have lComnet running?

If so, are you in range of a suitable relay satellite

If so, can you provide more information?

(Hmm, I see you say MechJeb can run the rover on the Mun...  Curious.)

Not crewed. Have enough electricity and probe control. (MechJeb can drive it). I can still use the rcs and engine. But it doesn't respond to rover control. The only thing I can do to the wheel is braking. Can it be because KSP doesn't recognize it as a rover?

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Soon said:

KSP doesn't recognize it as a rover?

Yet it works on Kerbin...  Does having SAS disengaged make any improvement?  Are you driving it exactly the same way on the Mun?

Lo-grav & maybe different effective friction on the Mun are the only real difference I can see between the Kerbin & Mun environments. 

Getting out of my depth on rovers.    I think you're going to need a rover expert to help you...  :(

Edited by Hotel26

Does having SAS disengaged make any improvement? 

I've tried turning RCS and SAS on and off and shutting down engines. But still nothing makes any difference.

Are you driving it exactly the same way on the Mun?

Sure, it is the same way. The only difference in my opinion is that on Moon, I have to land it first but on Earth, the rover can  just start on the runway.

Does your navbal show the horizon, or is the control point up? Sometimes, rovers with an incorrect control direction will sort of work on Kerbin, but not places with lower gravity or friction.

On 5/11/2024 at 1:48 PM, Krakatoa said:

Does your navbal show the horizon, or is the control point up? Sometimes, rovers with an incorrect control direction will sort of work on Kerbin, but not places with lower gravity or friction.

This was my first thought aside from probe control.     You might be trying to drive straight up or down, find the proper command pod and click “control from here”.    Testing a rover on kerbin usually doesn’t involve the whole launch vehicle.    Landing it on the mun involves multiple control points, and rovers have been known to be delivered in a wonky state.