Unplayable stuttering/lag spikes on specific craft without an obvious cause

While I remember this being a problem for some time, I am only getting around to reporting this now that I have more drive to play the game again

With specific craft, there are huge lag spikes that bring the FPS to zero over a consistent time. The lag spikes are unplayable.

This isn't a problem with my computer's hardware I don't think, as other unity games and some of the most intensive tasks can be handled fine by my computer. I should also note I haven't built any new craft since I picked up the game again recently, and the craft I have noticed stuttering has been flown at least one time. I would not have used them for missions if they stuttered this bad in the past.

I have tried really hard at figuring out the root cause of the situation by modifying craft and creating dummy vehicles designed to lag:

• Tried deleting a lot of parts from lagging craft (didn't work)
  • Deleted/moved radial boosters from stages (Worked, but can not be reproduced by making duplicates of boosters and other craft without any radial boosters also experience huge lag spikes)
  • Deleting all the radial parts on the inline stages (didn't work)
  • creating a mock craft with a lot of reaction wheels, stages, and radially attached fuel tanks with engines (game ran without any suttering at all)

Some craft experience stuttering a lot more than others:

• A 100 part, 275 ton interstellar craft designed to bring 4 kerbals to eve orbit in one launch - only experences small stuttering, nothing unplayable
  • A 190 part, 300 ton interstellar craft designed for a crewed duna landing in one launch - extremely bad stuttering - the game hangs on a frame for longer than it stays on a stable FPS
  • a 92 part, 60 ton probe designed to deliver 3 relays to minmus in one launch - little stuttering
  • a 40 part, 106 ton probe designed to deliver kerbals to my duna space station - lots of stuttering
  • + more, but I dont have the willpower to search through all my craft I've made over my 5 in-game year playthrough

Like I said, all these craft I mentioned have been flown at least once. Some, more than 5 times. I would not have flown some of these craft at all if I had this stuttering problem when I flew them.

The inconsistent performance results on craft with varying part counts makes me think part count alone is not causing the problem. I've tried stripping parts of their custom properties and deleting them to little change in performance.

Here is my full ksp.log file. especially look at the flight scene, where KSPCF cleaned 669 memory leaks in 7 thousandths of a second

Here is my mod list, let me know if there is a problematic mod in here.

LMK if you want any craft files

21 hours ago, Chevronie said:

While I remember this being a problem for some time, I am only getting around to reporting this now that I have more drive to play the game again

With specific craft, there are huge lag spikes that bring the FPS to zero over a consistent time. The lag spikes are unplayable.

This isn't a problem with my computer's hardware I don't think, as other unity games and some of the most intensive tasks can be handled fine by my computer. I should also note I haven't built any new craft since I picked up the game again recently, and the craft I have noticed stuttering has been flown at least one time. I would not have used them for missions if they stuttered this bad in the past.

I have tried really hard at figuring out the root cause of the situation by modifying craft and creating dummy vehicles designed to lag:

• Tried deleting a lot of parts from lagging craft (didn't work)
  • Deleted/moved radial boosters from stages (Worked, but can not be reproduced by making duplicates of boosters and other craft without any radial boosters also experience huge lag spikes)
  • Deleting all the radial parts on the inline stages (didn't work)
  • creating a mock craft with a lot of reaction wheels, stages, and radially attached fuel tanks with engines (game ran without any suttering at all)

Some craft experience stuttering a lot more than others:

• A 100 part, 275 ton interstellar craft designed to bring 4 kerbals to eve orbit in one launch - only experences small stuttering, nothing unplayable
  • A 190 part, 300 ton interstellar craft designed for a crewed duna landing in one launch - extremely bad stuttering - the game hangs on a frame for longer than it stays on a stable FPS
  • a 92 part, 60 ton probe designed to deliver 3 relays to minmus in one launch - little stuttering
  • a 40 part, 106 ton probe designed to deliver kerbals to my duna space station - lots of stuttering
  • + more, but I dont have the willpower to search through all my craft I've made over my 5 in-game year playthrough

Like I said, all these craft I mentioned have been flown at least once. Some, more than 5 times. I would not have flown some of these craft at all if I had this stuttering problem when I flew them.

The inconsistent performance results on craft with varying part counts makes me think part count alone is not causing the problem. I've tried stripping parts of their custom properties and deleting them to little change in performance.

Here is my full ksp.log file. especially look at the flight scene, where KSPCF cleaned 669 memory leaks in 7 thousandths of a second

Here is my mod list, let me know if there is a problematic mod in here.

LMK if you want any craft files

Just a quick try, if it doesn't work, install again. Uninstall all y'all. Lot of lag, gamebreaker. 

1 hour ago, Chevronie said:

oh my god. you are a life saver!

You're welcome, as someone suggested, you can use P.E.A.R which does almost the same thing. If not... Don't forget to extend your Kerbol Panels!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.