The Linux compatibility thread!

running via wine? install eufonts with winetricks and try again. Native linux version falls back to what looks like smallfonts if it can't find the specific one it's after, whereas wine simply won't draw any text at all- reasons unknown.

That did it, thank you!

I'm trying to play KSP on Linux Mint 14 64-bit through Steam, and when I try to open settings or create an universe, it crashes after the loading icon in right bottom corner appers.

Looks like it's SEGFAULT: Player.log

Tried that hack with hex editor linked in the first post - didn't work.

I was searching here and there, however I didn't go through the whole thread and I guess (or hope) someone else already found a solution.

KSP startup parameters in Steam: env LC_ALL=C %command%

GPU: ATI Radeon HD4850, with open-source driver.

EDIT:

The Player.log changed right after I posted this (file access buffering...). Here it is.

Edited by Wolf480pl

I gave the Linux version of 0.20.2 another go, running on Ubuntu 13.04 32bit with all updates and the latest graphics driver installed. The loading gets stuck at Squad/Spaces/mk1PodCockpit/model. Here are the last lines of KSP.log:

[LOG 06:13:24.466] Config(RESOURCE_DEFINITION) Squad/Resources/ResourcesGeneric/LiquidFuel

[LOG 06:13:24.466] Config(RESOURCE_DEFINITION) Squad/Resources/ResourcesGeneric/XenonGas

[LOG 06:13:24.466] Config(RESOURCE_DEFINITION) Squad/Resources/ResourcesGeneric/SolidFuel

[LOG 06:13:24.466] Config(RESOURCE_DEFINITION) Squad/Resources/ResourcesGeneric/ElectricCharge

[LOG 06:13:24.466] Config(RESOURCE_DEFINITION) Squad/Resources/ResourcesGeneric/IntakeAir

[LOG 06:13:24.466] Config(RESOURCE_DEFINITION) Squad/Resources/ResourcesGeneric/Oxidizer

[LOG 06:13:24.467] Config(RESOURCE_DEFINITION) Squad/Resources/ResourcesGeneric/MonoPropellant

[LOG 06:13:24.467] Config(RESOURCE_DEFINITION) Squad/Resources/ResourcesGeneric/Testium

[LOG 06:13:24.467] Config(INTERNAL) Squad/Spaces/GenericSpace1/internal/GenericSpace1

[LOG 06:13:24.467] Config(INTERNAL) Squad/Spaces/GenericSpace3/internal/GenericSpace3

It loads lightning fast, only takes a few seconds to reach that item, at which point it just stops. However, the game isn't frozen because I can still see the loading hints changing.

Edit: Nevermind. I reinstalled Ubuntu and it appears to be working now.

Edited by CaptainKorhonen

I'm having horrible lag any time Kerbals are on-screen (Main Menu, VAB, Kerbin camera things when attempting to fly) that renders the game unplayable under Linux, and I have no idea how to debug this; the game runs perfectly under Windows. I've tried launching with LC_ALL=C, using the open source AMD drivers (using which the game just black-screen'd), tried different desktop environments, etc - nothing seems to help.

Info:

* KSP 0.20.2

* hardinfo report

* KSP.log

* Player.log

Any ideas?

Edit: Derp, use drivers from fglrx-updates, not from fglrx; that fixes a lot of the lag, though the game still isn't on-par with Windows for performance.

Edited by RJackson

Using WINE to run KSP "under linux" is not running KSP under linux. Run the proper, provided, linux executable on a proper linux install (ie not a VM). There is no point complaining about KSP "not supporting linux" when in fact the issue is probably with wine.

Same goes for Steam because it also adds a needless layer of complexity.

Guys, the open source drivers are total garbage when it comes to KSP, you have to use the proprietary drivers not only for reasonable performance but also just to get the game to work in most cases.

Also, Wine is fine, KSP in Wine runs a bit faster than native KSP, on a par with Windows 7, so if Wine is what you want to use that's perfectly okay, but do be aware that Squad and Unity do not support Wine.

I get a crash when I enter the sphere of influence of the Mun while I have the Mun set as a target, or if I set the Mun as a target after I have entered its SOI; KSP 0.20.2

Here are some Player.log excerpts for each of these scenarios:

Setting Moon as target after entering SOI:

Unpacking C-Mun Return 01

(Filename: /BuildAgent/work/7535de4ca26c26ac/Runtime/ExportGenerated/LinuxStandalonePlayer/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 54)

[Orbit Targeter]: Target is Mun

(Filename: /BuildAgent/work/7535de4ca26c26ac/Runtime/ExportGenerated/LinuxStandalonePlayer/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 54)

[Orbit Targeter]: Target is Minmus

Packing C-Mun Return 01 for orbit

recalculating orbit for Mark1-2Pod (C-Mun Return 01): Kerbin
rPos: [-7135109.1256871, 2087.984416583, -6383531.31624113] rVel: [-147.21225467114, -466.032435190105, 1.15483573205833] |488.732045419725|

recalculated orbit for Mark1-2Pod (C-Mun Return 01): the Mun
rPos: [1802451.10748259, 1623966.23778703, 2087.98441010504] rVel: [-509.296508647252, 1.15483573205833, -62.0584347611639] |513.064826986662|

setting new dominant body: the Mun
FlightGlobals.mainBody: Kerbin

[Orbit Targeter]: Target is null

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at FlightGlobals.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

My steps:

* Load saved game

* Set Mun as target

* Set Minmus as target.

* Time-warp.

* Enter Mun SOI.

* Set Mun as target

* Crash.

----

Setting Moon as target then entering SOI.

Event Type Ignored: EnterNotify

recalculating orbit for Mark1-2Pod (C-Mun Return 01): Kerbin
rPos: [-7133890.08154154, -6379738.36885548, 2078.24141512066] rVel: [-147.713287353516, -466.501922607422, 1.15504789352417] |489.330760521796|

recalculated orbit for Mark1-2Pod (C-Mun Return 01): the Mun
rPos: [1809948.1414573, 1620746.48150359, 2078.24141512066] rVel: [-509.398215495259, 1.15504789352417, -62.1703597099622] |513.179334844902|

setting new dominant body: the Mun

Vessel Mark1-2Pod (C-Mun Return 01) velocity resumed. Reference body: Mun vel: [-509.398215495259, 1.15504789352417, -62.1703597099622]

[Orbit Targeter]: Target is null

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at FlightGlobals.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

My steps:

* Load saved game

* Set Mun as target

* Time-warp.

* Enter Mun SOI.

* Crash.

Guys, the open source drivers are total garbage when it comes to KSP, you have to use the proprietary drivers not only for reasonable performance but also just to get the game to work in most cases.

Propertiary ATI drivers for Radeon HD4850 don't support the newest X server... :(

Also, the demo works ok with the open-source drivers. Just the full version doesn't.

Edited by Wolf480pl

Is this tweak still necessary with 0.21?

$ xxd -s +0x7cebc7 -l 1 KSP.x86_64
07cebc7: 01
$ echo "7cebc7: 00" | xxd -r - KSP.x86_64
$ xxd -s +0x7cebc7 -l 1 KSP.x86_64
07cebc7: 00

$ xxd -s +0x7cebcc -l 1 KSP.x86_64
07cebcc: 01
$ echo "7cebcc: 00" | xxd -r - KSP.x86_64
$ xxd -s +0x7cebcc -l 1 KSP.x86_64
07cebcc: 00

I'm on 64-bit Arch with the proprietary AMD drivers. After using LC_ALL=C and the 64-bit version, everything seems to be working for me... except that anything happening on the surface of Kerbin is unbearably slow. I get less than 1 fps just looking at the overhead view of the space center, and whenever I'm actually in a rocket in atmosphere I'm always in the yellow or red time stretching due to slow update rates, regardless of how complex my rocket is. If I can manage to get into orbit everything is smooth and happy, though. Any ideas what could cause that? I've already played around with decreasing graphics settings; nothing I've done there has made a difference.

I'd just like to report that after updating the steam version to .21 today, the crashing issue I had when trying to click on settings or start a new game is now fixed. I don't know if it was fixed as a bug or if this was a side effect. At any rate, I'm ecstatic that I can finally run it on my linux laptop. As far the slowness reported by the previous poster, I do notice some slowdown on Kerbin as well, but for me it isn't as bad. I'm using 64 bit with the open source AMD graphics drivers.

In the torrent of new support requests, It is difficult to find threads possibly related to my issues, so I decided to just plonk them down here, hoping someone has more insight into the issue itself, or at least where the relevant space to report them is located.

This concerns a completely fresh install of KSP 0.21 on 3.9.9-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Jul 3 22:45:16 CEST 2013 x86_64 GNU/Linux

No mods, or anything else added.

• Changing the mapping of the MODIFIER_KEY; the key that lets you copy parts in the VAB, call up the debug menu during flight, etc. By default, this is something like RightAlt. I've always mapped it to `TAB`, because my OpenBox installation maps Alt to certain windowing functions.. For some reason the change to the `settings.cfg` is ignored by the game and the key is therefore not remapped.
  • Assigning Kerbals to a command pod from inside the VAB does not seem to persist. I can select whichever Kerbal I have available from the roster, but the game always ends up using Jeb when going into flight. This includes an explicit Save button press.
  • When loading up a craft file, the ordering of the staging is not retained. I can re-arrange the staging, then save a craft. When reloading it back into the VAB, the staging is changed.

Is this tweak still necessary with 0.21?

The executable in 0.21 appears to be byte for byte identical to the one in 0.20.2, so it would seem yes.

It seems the Linux Mousewheel bug is back. Or it's probably more accurate to say they forgot to add the fix from last time to this version.

I'm getting strange mouse behavior, but not the previous bug. The problem is intermittent, but sometimes rotating the view (right-click+drag) becomes very unpredictable. It seems as if it doesn't know where the center of rotation should be. Zoom via the scroll wheel also jitters. This makes the game very difficult to play. Reloading the save, or starting a new one, doesn't help. Restarting the entire game does help, but only until it happens again. Is this the new scroll-wheel bug or is this not linux-related?

I had thought this was related to kethane (strange overlay behavior) but it happened on a clean install.

In the torrent of new support requests, It is difficult to find threads possibly related to my issues, so I decided to just plonk them down here
Changing the mapping of the MODIFIER_KEY; the key that lets you copy parts in the VAB, call up the debug menu during flight, etc. By default, this is something like RightAlt. I've always mapped it to `TAB`, because my OpenBox installation maps Alt to certain windowing functions.. For some reason the change to the `settings.cfg` is ignored by the game and the key is therefore not remapped.

It's rightshift in Linux, it should remap but the key you chose might be in use elsewhere or considered invalid by KSP.

Assigning Kerbals to a command pod from inside the VAB does not seem to persist. I can select whichever Kerbal I have available from the roster, but the game always ends up using Jeb when going into flight. This includes an explicit Save button press.

Okay I don't know yet, make sure no files are read only and permissions are correct.

When loading up a craft file, the ordering of the staging is not retained. I can re-arrange the staging, then save a craft. When reloading it back into the VAB, the staging is changed.

This just is not happening to me, again, are permissions correct? It sounds like KSP is unable to modify files.

I'm getting strange mouse behavior, but not the previous bug. The problem is intermittent, but sometimes rotating the view (right-click+drag) becomes very unpredictable. It seems as if it doesn't know where the center of rotation should be. Zoom via the scroll wheel also jitters. This makes the game very difficult to play. Reloading the save, or starting a new one, doesn't help. Restarting the entire game does help, but only until it happens again. Is this the new scroll-wheel bug or is this not linux-related?

Not aware of this bug yet, it might be due to an old settings.cfg, you might need to use LC_ALL=C, or it might be your mouse/driver just doesn't like Unity.

We'd need your KSP.log at the very least but I suspect this won't be easy to figure out.

It's rightshift in Linux, it should remap but the key you chose might be in use elsewhere or considered invalid by KSP.

I'm using the same mapping as .20. That install still works as intended.

Okay I don't know yet, make sure no files are read only and permissions are correct.

This just is not happening to me, again, are permissions correct? It sounds like KSP is unable to modify files.

Yea, I figured it might be a permission issue, but the entire KSP tree has RW permissions for my user. It's the same as the .20 install, which works correctly.

I'll investigate further.

Edited by exch
Fixes typo.

It seems the Linux Mousewheel bug is back. Or it's probably more accurate to say they forgot to add the fix from last time to this version.

****... It just started with me now. wtf? nothing changed, in fact I was in the middle of playing when it started.

Mousewheel/drag bug in map view --> Null Refference Excemption

I thought it was kethane, I thought it was novapunch, I thought it had to do with quicksaves... but the only reliable means of causing this bug comes from targeting during a SOI change.

Test: Build something and shoot it at the moon. On approach, before SOI change, target mun. If Mun is targeted at SOI change, a kracken strikes the map view. Rotating the view via right-click+drag or scroll wheel becomes shaky and unpredictable. This also plays havoc with the Kethane overlays if installed. If Mun is not targeted, the bug does not occur. The relationship to quicksaves may have to do with targeting, but I am unfamiliar with the details of how targeting is handled during save. The relevant log file shows this....

[LOG 13:15:54.208] setting new dominant body: the Mun
[LOG 13:15:54.252] [Orbit Targeter]: Target is null
[EXC 13:15:54.252] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

At change of SOI the targeted object (Mun) becomes no longer available (ie null). Thereafter, every mouse move in the map view causes a "[EXC 13:16:20.483] NullReferenceException" that I suspect is linked to the more detailed exception above.

Can anyone else confirm these results before I push a proper bug report?

(Getting Squad to acknowledge a linux bug requires screaming, and I don't want to start that without absolute confirmation. :)

Edited by Sandworm

Joystick question....

I installed a logitech extreme pro joystick, it is identified correctly and the module is loaded.

I tested it with jstest-gtk, all buttons and variable controls respond as expected.

I run KSP, and KSP identifies the joystick correctly:

Set current directory to /home/dlmarti/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program

Found path: /home/dlmarti/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program/KSP.x86_64

Mono path[0] = '/home/dlmarti/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program/KSP_Data/Managed'

Mono path[1] = '/home/dlmarti/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program/KSP_Data/Mono'

Mono config path = '/home/dlmarti/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program/KSP_Data/Mono/etc'

/dev/input/js0: driver version: 2.1.0 (20100)

/dev/input/js0: fd 3, buttons 12, axes 6, name Logitech Logitech Extreme 3D

/dev/input/js0: axis 0: raw 0, mapped 0.000000

/dev/input/js0: axis 1: raw 0, mapped 0.000000

/dev/input/js0: axis 2: raw 0, mapped 0.000000

/dev/input/js0: axis 3: raw 0, mapped 0.000000

/dev/input/js0: axis 4: raw 0, mapped 0.000000

/dev/input/js0: axis 5: raw 0, mapped 0.000000

If I go into KSP setup, I can map the joystick buttons to anything I want, and it works.

In game the buttons work, but none of the variable inputs do.

When I re-run the game with one of the variable inputs maxed:

Set current directory to /home/dlmarti/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program

Found path: /home/dlmarti/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program/KSP.x86_64

Mono path[0] = '/home/dlmarti/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program/KSP_Data/Managed'

Mono path[1] = '/home/dlmarti/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program/KSP_Data/Mono'

Mono config path = '/home/dlmarti/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program/KSP_Data/Mono/etc'

/dev/input/js0: driver version: 2.1.0 (20100)

/dev/input/js0: fd 3, buttons 12, axes 6, name Logitech Logitech Extreme 3D

/dev/input/js0: axis 0: raw 0, mapped 0.000000

/dev/input/js0: axis 1: raw 0, mapped 0.000000

/dev/input/js0: axis 2: raw 0, mapped 0.000000

/dev/input/js0: axis 3: raw 7431, mapped 0.000000

/dev/input/js0: axis 4: raw 0, mapped 0.000000

/dev/input/js0: axis 5: raw 0, mapped 0.000000

The game sees the axis has changed (the axis I tested with was just some dial on the side, but the normal LRUD part works too).

Any clue what I am doing wrong?