The Linux compatibility thread!

Mulbin, open it in a terminal like I suggested, just open a terminal window and drag the binary into it, then press enter.

If it's a Linux issue the terminal should say.

Ok sal I'll give that a go!

Are you running a non-multilib system?

I have no idea! It is a standard, off the peg ubuntu64bit installation. Havent done anything other than install a geforce driver.

Mulbin, open it in a terminal like I suggested, just open a terminal window and drag the binary into it, then press enter.

If it's a Linux issue the terminal should say.

Oooookay... I dragged it into the terminal, hit enter.... and got this!

Ksp_linux/ksp.86: No such file or directory

Ok so windows is messed up but it never told me the file I am looking at doesnt exist! :D

I guess this means I need 32 bit libraries?

search the forums for "xxd")

This sounds like a promising lead... but you can't search for a three letter term on this forum, do you have something more to go on?

Edited by Mulbin

It's probably got its permissions messed up Mulbin.

Is there any way to fix it? A fresh install of ksp doesnt seem to help.

But yeah if you don't have the 32bit libs, it's a good idea to get them.

How do i get them? To be honest the main reason I want to play on Linux is that I don't get the horrible popping/skipping sound bug that windows 7 causes. 64bit would be nice but not essential. Otherwise I'll have to just bite the bullet and dual boot XP 64 (also has no sound popping) ... but I hate XP :)

Okay, permissions, it's usually enough to right click the binary and look at its properties tab, make sure it's executable and you are the owner, if it's owned by "root" things get a little harder.

For the 32bit libs, they should already be installed so don't worry about those just yet, see if the file is executable first.

Okay, permissions, it's usually enough to right click the binary and look at its properties tab, make sure it's executable and you are the owner, if it's owned by "root" things get a little harder.

For the 32bit libs, they should already be installed so don't worry about those just yet, see if the file is executable first.

Yep, I'm the owner, file is recognised as an executable and permission is on to open as executable.

Okay it could be the libs then, these are all the libs that the LDD command says my KSP.x86 is using:

linux-gate.so.1 => (0xf77aa000)
libGLU.so.1 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libGLU.so.1 (0xf76e0000)
libGL.so.1 => /usr/lib32/nvidia-319-updates/libGL.so.1 (0xf75d8000)
libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6 (0xf74a0000)
libXext.so.6 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXext.so.6 (0xf7488000)
libXcursor.so.1 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXcursor.so.1 (0xf7478000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2 (0xf7470000)
libpthread.so.0 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 (0xf7450000)
librt.so.1 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/librt.so.1 (0xf7440000)
libm.so.6 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libm.so.6 (0xf73f8000)
libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so.1 (0xf73d8000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (0xf7220000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xf7788000)
libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6 (0xf7130000)
libnvidia-tls.so.319.60 => /usr/lib32/nvidia-319-updates/tls/libnvidia-tls.so.319.60 (0xf7128000)
libnvidia-glcore.so.319.60 => /usr/lib32/nvidia-319-updates/libnvidia-glcore.so.319.60 (0xf5158000)
libxcb.so.1 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libxcb.so.1 (0xf5130000)
libXrender.so.1 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXrender.so.1 (0xf5120000)
libXfixes.so.3 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXfixes.so.3 (0xf5118000)
libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXau.so.6 (0xf5110000)
libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXdmcp.so.6 (0xf5108000)

Okay it could be the libs then, these are all the libs that the LDD command says my KSP.x86 is using:

linux-gate.so.1 => (0xf77aa000)
libGLU.so.1 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libGLU.so.1 (0xf76e0000)
libGL.so.1 => /usr/lib32/nvidia-319-updates/libGL.so.1 (0xf75d8000)
libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6 (0xf74a0000)
libXext.so.6 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXext.so.6 (0xf7488000)
libXcursor.so.1 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXcursor.so.1 (0xf7478000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2 (0xf7470000)
libpthread.so.0 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 (0xf7450000)
librt.so.1 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/librt.so.1 (0xf7440000)
libm.so.6 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libm.so.6 (0xf73f8000)
libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so.1 (0xf73d8000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (0xf7220000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xf7788000)
libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6 (0xf7130000)
libnvidia-tls.so.319.60 => /usr/lib32/nvidia-319-updates/tls/libnvidia-tls.so.319.60 (0xf7128000)
libnvidia-glcore.so.319.60 => /usr/lib32/nvidia-319-updates/libnvidia-glcore.so.319.60 (0xf5158000)
libxcb.so.1 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libxcb.so.1 (0xf5130000)
libXrender.so.1 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXrender.so.1 (0xf5120000)
libXfixes.so.3 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXfixes.so.3 (0xf5118000)
libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXau.so.6 (0xf5110000)
libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXdmcp.so.6 (0xf5108000)

Thats a lot of letters and numbers sure enough! I'd recognise all those letters and numbers anywhere :)... now if only I had the first clue what any of that means... or indeed what an LDD command is :D

Dammit Ubuntu seemed so user friendly a day ago... now it seems I need a programming degree to get it to run an executable :/

Is there somewhere I can download these libraries and install them?... quick before I start to think Bill Gates is actually OK!

Hmm, I think we're going the wrong way with this, can you open terminal in the same folder as KSP and type ./KSP.x86 ?

Nevermid, fixed it! found a solution online.

Just dropped "sudo apt-get install ia32-libs." into terminal and it installed all the libraries, now I can run the 32 bit version.

32 bit works stock.... but crashes before the main screen with mods.

64 bits works stock.... but crashes when you go to the launchpad with mods.

I've used all of these mods successfully over the last 24 hours... possibly I have developed a mod conflict, I'll test by trying some different combinations. The randomness of the 64 bit crashes (sometimes as soon as you click "launch" from the VAB or Pad... sometimes when you are a hundred meters up in the air is confusing though. It "feels" like I'm running out of memory... but the 64bit shouldnt do that.

These mods definitely all work together on my windows install though.

I have the strangest problem. I'm running KSP 64-bit with primusrun and it crashes on loading whenever it comes across a PNG file. It doesn't do this when running without primusrun, and it doesn't do it when running the 32-bit version in primusrun.

Exactly the same behaviour occurs in optirun.

I know it's PNG files because I have removed every folder that causes it to crash while loading (from the text in the yellow loading bar) and to test I put a uniquely named PNG in the /resources folder and it crashes on that.

EDIT: My fix for this is to convert every single PNG to a TGA using mogrify -format tga *.png and then removing all the PNG files.

Anyway, after working around that I now have the minor issue of some heavy flickering under primusrun (but it works fine in optirun). (fixed flickering with PRIMUS_SYNC=2)

Edited by DuckZero

Hey Mulbin

Have you used the xxd patch for memory issue?

goto the kerbal folder that your settings.cfg is in

right click and select open in terminal

you should now be sitting in terminal

type:

xxd -s +0x7cebc7 -l 1 KSP.x86_64

you should get

07cebc7: 01

type:

echo "7cebc7: 00" | xxd -r - KSP.x86_64

type:

xxd -s +0x7cebc7 -l 1 KSP.x86_64

you should get

07cebc7: 00

type:

xxd -s +0x7cebcc -l 1 KSP.x86_64

youshould get

07cebcc: 01

type:

echo "7cebcc: 00" | xxd -r - KSP.x86_64

type:

xxd -s +0x7cebcc -l 1 KSP.x86_64

youshould get

07cebcc: 00

fixed my kerbal crashing with mods.

also what video card you running?

If nvidia use nvidia drivers!

sal_vager

Dec 11th I'm going to start work on a bash script with a GUI of some sort that lets linux users click patches we use here.

This long hand stuff is driving users away.

Last year about this time I got fed up with not having a Desktop recorder for Puppy linux and made this.....

http://youtu.be/S-hNwwX3P9M

so i figure I could do the same for us. Please contact me with a list of the top 5 things this script should do.

#1 on my list though not found here is a multiple quick save tool for linux. I can do all the linux stuff but i cant do any of the mod stuff for kerbal. I'm not a C # guy

Meeki

Edited by meeki

Hey Mulbin

Have you used the xxd patch for memory issue?

goto the kerbal folder that your settings.cfg is in

right click and select open in terminal

you should now be sitting in terminal

This looks like it could help... but there is no option I can see to open a config file with terminal. I have "open with Geddit" and "open with" > "libreoffice writer" or "other program" but terminal isnt on the list.

I've definitely got anti-aliasing...

Try the 331.20 drivers: https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa

I'll give them a try, thanks!

I've definitely got anti-aliasing...

Try the 331.20 drivers: https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa

Tried them... still no antialiasing on an Nvidia GTX 260

I now have 3 operating systems installed, none of which can run KSP with all features...

Win7 - freezes every 3 seconds with sound popping.

XP64 - random sound popping and mod issues.

Ubuntu - perfect sound... crappy graphics, frame rate issues, cant take more than 5 mods before CTD.

I think I'll just have to stick with xp64 for now as it is the only playable install.

Mulbin, if you install nvidia-settings-(yourversionnumberhere) to get the settings for the driver :)

ok not sure how I do this... I've tried sudo apt-get install nvidia-settings-331.20 but I'm just gettin the message unable to locate package

bear in mind I have no linux or programming experience so I need things spelled out a little more clearly.

OK... I think it was because I was typing 331.20 instead of just 331 So now I am getting this...

joe@joe-System-Product-Name:~$ sudo apt-get install nvidia-settings-331

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information... Done

nvidia-settings-331 is already the newest version.

nvidia-settings-331 set to manually installed.

The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:

linux-image-generic

Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove it.

0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 136 not upgraded.

joe@joe-System-Product-Name:~$

Does this mean I have the nvidia control panel installed? If so... how do I open it? cant see it in any menus.

ooooookay, so worked out if I just type "nvidia-settings" into terminal it does something...

It loads something called NVIDIA X Server Settings which doesnt actually seem to have any graphics options on it at all...

then an error message pops up saying...

You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver.

Please edit your X configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server.

Any help would be great as I'm starting to bash my head against a wall...

Sorry Mulbin, been away, okay the very easiest way I know of to do this is to install synaptic (yeah I'm lazy when it comes to the command line)

You can do this in the terminal "sudo apt-get install synaptic" or from the software center.

In synaptic you can search for nvidia and get a nice list of all the nvidia drivers in the repo, plus the nvidia-settings, so it becoms really simple to select the ones you want and install.

Sorry Mulbin, been away, okay the very easiest way I know of to do this is to install synaptic (yeah I'm lazy when it comes to the command line)

You can do this in the terminal "sudo apt-get install synaptic" or from the software center.

In synaptic you can search for nvidia and get a nice list of all the nvidia drivers in the repo, plus the nvidia-settings, so it becoms really simple to select the ones you want and install.

Ok, done that, and can confirm that yes, I do have nvidia-settings-331 installed and selected.... but I still am no closer to finding out how I actually open the program. I have no icon for nvidia control panel in any folder or menu I can find...

EDIT - hah wait... its now appeared! I guess installing synaptic must have forced it to show up...

Cheers Sal, now I can test and see if I can get some antialiasing from the control panel rather than trying to get it through KSP iteself.

Edited by Mulbin

Glad it's finally showing up, no idea why the menu entry wasn't there before though.

Try "override application settings" on the anti-aliasing settings page, it'll effect more than just KSP though, so if you want to leave other games untouched you can set up an Application profile for KSP :)

As for how to do that, well I'm not so sure myself, I'll have to find some documentation.