The Linux compatibility thread!

Well it had been working with Optimus up until this evening but like I say guessing this client update broke it!! Will sit tight and see if there are any more updates over the next few days.

EDIT: when running with primusrun top shows that sed is running at pretty much 100% on one of my CPU cores... Hmm...

Edited by twchambers

Helĺo ! I have problem..i have KSP 0.19 (i don´t wanna get newer because i have low FPS and in 0.20 are graphic improvments) on Ubuntu 13.10 and it won´t load ... It will get stuck at IndicatorPanel...I found that i have to write in terminal : "LC_ALL=C. /KSP.x86 but i don´t know how , in which directory i have to be and so... Thank you for any help :)

Helĺo ! I have problem..i have KSP 0.19 (i don´t wanna get newer because i have low FPS and in 0.20 are graphic improvments) on Ubuntu 13.10 and it won´t load ... It will get stuck at IndicatorPanel...I found that i have to write in terminal : "LC_ALL=C. /KSP.x86 but i don´t know how , in which directory i have to be and so... Thank you for any help :)

The directory you need to be in is the directory where your KSP is installed (the one with the executables in it). On ubuntu you open the terminal by doing ctrl+alt+t.

When you have the terminal open you are in your home directory. Navigate to the KSP directory by typing: "cd DIRECTORY YOU WANT TO GO". Then you can do "LC_ALL=C. /KSP.x86"

Also, low FPS doesn't have to be an excuse to not upgrade to 0.20. The low FPS need not to come because of graphics, KSP can be quite RAM and CPU intensive. "Improvements" don't always mean it will get slower, according to SQUAD they did a lot performance-wise in that update too:

SQUAD is proud to announce the long awaited release of Kerbal Space Program update 0.20! Flags, seats, and a veritable truckload of bugs squashed, optimizations deployed and engine tweaks to make your space exploration better, faster and more uniquely yours than ever before.

KSP doesn't support open-source linux drivers, which makes me unable to play the game under linux, no matter the version. Since my video card is not supported in the latest Catalyst update, I can't have fglrx drivers installed. And since I have the Steam version of KSP, it won't open if I have the legacy proprietary drivers installed.

Fedora 19, AMD a10-6800 apu, open-source drivers (AMD's drivers just don't work with this well).

I'm having a problem with missing text, for example, in the settings dialog. I did install the MS arial/arialb fonts in ~/.fonts/, and gnome-font-preview is happy enough to see them. Any other suggestions to get text showing up?

Hi guys, can someone tell me whether it's possible to get anti-aliasing to work with KSP and the NVIDIA proprietary drivers? I've seen some comments about the Unity engine not playing nicely with the AMD drivers as far as anti-aliasing is concerned but no mention of NVIDIA problems.

I have a GT640 with the 331.20 64-bit drivers (installed via RPMFusion on Fedora 19) with a monitor on the DVI port and a TV on HDMI and am running KSP full screen on the monitor. I've tried setting anti-aliasing to max (8x) in KSP itself, tried telling the NVIDIA drivers to override the app settings and enable anti-aliasing via the nvidia-settings GUI, via the nivida-settings command line (e.g. nvidia-settings --assign FSAA=14 --assign FSAAAppControlled=0 --assign FSAAAppEnhanced=0), via exporting environment variables (e.g. export __GL_FSAA_MODE=14) and by setting environment variables at runtime (e.g. LD_PRELOAD="libpthread.so.0 libGL.so.1" __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 __GL_FSAA_MODE=14 __GL_LOG_MAX_ANISO=4 ./KSP.x86_64) but nothing makes any difference, I don't get any anti-aliasing at all. Any suggestions?

P.S. Mods, how about a subforum for Linux specific support & bugs? Having a single monster thread for all things Linux makes it hard to find things.

Nvidia started working hard on linux drivers back in late 2012.

They relesesd the 310.X Drivers in Nov 2012.

The 304.X drivers your using are from June 2012.

I have used All of these drivers and noticed a big diffrence in any thing 310.X or greater.

Ive also found the 319.32 Driver I'm using, relesed June 2013, now works great with GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS that came out with the 310.14 (?) dirvers.

Allowing me to run about 60 more parts before I slow down. What will really mess with your head is seeing more than 100% cpu usage when its turned on :)

I suggest that ya update them drivers and use

LD_PRELOAD="libpthread.so.0 libGL.so.1" __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 ./KSP.x86_64

from terminal inside of the KSP folder.

Happy to have another linux convert :)

FWIW, I just upgraded to 13.10 and installed the nvidia-331 drivers from xedgers and already have the GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS turned on, and noticed a significant improvement. I think the latest ISA MapSat has been blowing out my RAM and the upgrades seem to have reduced memory pressure. (I haven't tried 64-bit yet, but after installing MechJeb it seems like ship transitions are getting slow again, so may need 64-bit to solve the 4GB problems...)

nvidia-331 drivers are here:

https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa

BTW, I'm searching this thread for information on hotkeys interacting with plugin windows... With MechJeb or Kerbal Alarm Clock or whatever, when I type in the windows I'm also getting the action translated through to the space ship which is kinda problematic. Entering numbers will cause the warp to change. On the map view it bounces around a bunch. I assume if I ever needed to hit the spacebar in a window while looking at a ship that it'll do an unwanted stage separation which gets into catastrophic mission issue... Is there a fix somewhere for this? I'm sort of assuming its Linux behavior...

I have a GT640 with the 331.20 64-bit drivers (installed via RPMFusion on Fedora 19) with a monitor on the DVI port and a TV on HDMI and am running KSP full screen on the monitor. I've tried setting anti-aliasing to max (8x) in KSP itself, tried telling the NVIDIA drivers to override the app settings and enable anti-aliasing via the nvidia-settings GUI, via the nivida-settings command line (e.g. nvidia-settings --assign FSAA=14 --assign FSAAAppControlled=0 --assign FSAAAppEnhanced=0), via exporting environment variables (e.g. export __GL_FSAA_MODE=14) and by setting environment variables at runtime (e.g. LD_PRELOAD="libpthread.so.0 libGL.so.1" __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 __GL_FSAA_MODE=14 __GL_LOG_MAX_ANISO=4 ./KSP.x86_64) but nothing makes any difference, I don't get any anti-aliasing at all. Any suggestions?

I found that setting AA and Anisotropic settings in the Nvidia settings GUI and then disabling AA, anisotropic filters, and Vsync in KSP did the trick for me.

Also, the subthread for Linux support is a great idea.

Thought I would share some of my experiences here. So, I was having many of the issues listed here. Some other Unity3D based applications were exhibiting similar issues and so I thought it may be an OpenGL compositing glitch. I am running OpenSUSE 13.1 and Gnome 3.10. In order to see if it was a compositor issue I dropped down to a plain old desktop environment-less x environment running an xterm window with no other X related applications running. Launching from this environment it ran fine, many times. So I brought up the compositor without bringing up the rest of Gnome and launched xfce-terminal which uses the compositor for transparency. Tried to launch from this and KSP no longer worked. Killed the compositor and it worked fine. I think Unity3D does not play well with the Gnome compositor. (So all you ubuntu people are going to have problems). I haven't tried this under KDE yet. So I am running KSP under IceWM now (an extremely basic window manager for X). You get a task bar and window borders, thats about it). Haven't had problems since.

- Nathaniel Lewis

--- System ---

OpenSUSE 13.1 64 bit

Intel i7-870 oc'd 3.53 GHz

Asus P7P55D-E LX

16 GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 MHz 9-9-9-24

Zotac GeForce GTX 560 2 GB

4x WD 1.5 TB HDDs (RAID 5)

Corsair H100i AIO watercooler

Corsair 330R Carbide Case

Edited by Teknoman117

I found that setting AA and Anisotropic settings in the Nvidia settings GUI and then disabling AA, anisotropic filters, and Vsync in KSP did the trick for me.

Thanks for the suggestion but it made no difference. I have AA and Vsync disabled in KSP and enabled in nvidia-settings (and set to override app settings) but there are still jagged edges everywhere :( What card, driver version and actual settings are you using?

Thought I would share some of my experiences here. So, I was having many of the issues listed here. Some other Unity3D based applications were exhibiting similar issues and so I thought it may be an OpenGL compositing glitch. I am running OpenSUSE 13.1 and Gnome 3.10. In order to see if it was a compositor issue I dropped down to a plain old desktop environment-less x environment running an xterm window with no other X related applications running. Launching from this environment it ran fine, many times. So I brought up the compositor without bringing up the rest of Gnome and launched xfce-terminal which uses the compositor for transparency. Tried to launch from this and KSP no longer worked. Killed the compositor and it worked fine. I think Unity3D does not play well with the Gnome compositor. (So all you ubuntu people are going to have problems). I haven't tried this under KDE yet. So I am running KSP under IceWM now (an extremely basic window manager for X). You get a task bar and window borders, thats about it). Haven't had problems since.

I'm not sure it's a simple as using a compositing window manager or not. I've always run KSP under a compositing window manager (Gnome 3.6 and 3.8) and the only issue I have is with antialiasing. Which specific problems did you have that were solved with the change to IceWM?

Easiest way to start KSP with LC_ALL is to make a shell script :)

Make a new empty file and name it "KSP Start" or something, open the file in any text editor and add the following:

#!/bin/bash
cd "path_to_your_KSP_folder_in_quotes_here"
LC_ALL=C ./KSP.x86

Save the file and make it executable (I right click the file and use the permissions tab in the properties box).

Double click the new file and KSP will start!

Also, DrHotdog, Unity has broken AA support with Nvidia cards, sorry, there's nothing we can do at this time.

Ok, this is driving me crazy now lol.

Running 64 bit was working fine with stock install, now I have added a few mods it crashes to desktop a lot as if I have run out of memory.

But thats not the main problem... I really want to try the 32 bit executable so see if it is just a 64 bit bug but when I double click on KSP.x86 absolutely nothing happens. It doesnt even try to run the program... no error mesage, nothing. Like i havent clicked anything at all

Does ubuntu 64 not even recognise 32 bit applications as existing?

Mulbin, what happens?

Litterally nothing happens. Hold your mouse pointer over an icon... then DONT click your button. That is exactly what happens when I DO click mine! Not even a hint that it has noticed I have clicked the exe.

64 bit exe works fine (until the game crashes)

Right clicking and selecting "open" also has no effect at all, not even a hint of hard drive activity or a twitch on my cpu monitor...

Also tried redownloading and fresh install... no luck

File is definitely set to "allow executing file as a program"

Edited by Mulbin

Mulbin, what happens? If there's no log output try running the binary from the terminal, also make sure it is set to be executable.

Jim DiGriz, no idea on that one, have you tried LC_ALL=C ?

Yep, I've got that one.

I usually have to hit 'g' twice to extend landing gear as well, dunno if thats somehow related...

Something wonky with window focus and keypresses. I tried installing unity desktop yesterday, but for some reason the login gui didn't give me a button to login using it, so I haven't been able to test if this only happens because I'm using a !unity window manager..

Ok, this is driving me crazy now lol.

Running 64 bit was working fine with stock install, now I have added a few mods it crashes to desktop a lot as if I have run out of memory.

But thats not the main problem... I really want to try the 32 bit executable so see if it is just a 64 bit bug but when I double click on KSP.x86 absolutely nothing happens. It doesnt even try to run the program... no error mesage, nothing. Like i havent clicked anything at all

Does ubuntu 64 not even recognise 32 bit applications as existing?

Litterally nothing happens. Hold your mouse pointer over an icon... then DONT click your button. That is exactly what happens when I DO click mine! Not even a hint that it has noticed I have clicked the exe.

64 bit exe works fine (until the game crashes)

Right clicking and selecting "open" also has no effect at all, not even a hint of hard drive activity or a twitch on my cpu monitor...

Also tried redownloading and fresh install... no luck

File is definitely set to "allow executing file as a program"

Bump!.... anyone with more linux experience than me have any ideas what is going on? I've had to go back to windows (and popping sound!). Is there something I need to do to make ubuntu recognise a 32bit program as existing?

Is there something I need to do to make ubuntu recognise a 32bit program as existing?

Are you running a non-multilib system? If so, you'll need to install 32-bit compatibility libraries (it's a pain) before running 32-bit KSP. Otherwise, try to run the 32-bit version of KSP from the command line, then upload ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log somewhere and post a link to it.

There's also a binary patch to KSP.x86_64 floating around earlier in this thread that solved the pointer-truncation-related crashes I was having with 0.22 (it disables some 32-bit-only code in libpng that shouldn't have been enabled for 64-bit builds, search the forums for "xxd")