The Linux compatibility thread!

Need help gitting voidi's script to work... new to linux. if i download the zip and run text doc in terminal my credentials don't work. iv tried over and over to use my username and password but it keeps telling me wrong credentials. then i noticed the code:

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Voidi/proprietary_installer/master/ksp_installer

chmod u+x ksp_installer

./ksp_installer <Path to Game directory>

Ok... that didnt work ither.... the first command works, looks like it downloaded something, but the the next command "chmod u+x ksp_installer" i get:

chmod: cannot access `ksp': no such file or directory

chmod: cannot access `installer': no such file or directory

what im i doing wrong here? am i using the wrong credentials as in shouldn't be using my ubuntu log in and password?

i get:

You probably left out the underscore. There's no space between "ksp" and "installer", it's:

chmod u+x ksp_installer

what im i doing wrong here? am i using the wrong credentials as in shouldn't be using my ubuntu log in and password?

You most definitely should not be using your ubuntu log in and password there. Voidi's script asks for your username and password to the ksp store so that it can download ksp from there. Personally I think that part of it is overkill and confusing. People can download ksp manually, it's much simpler that way.

I'd recommend that you change your ubuntu password, just to be safe.

for your Information: this command, sets the right to execute the file as a shell script

You most definitely should not be using your ubuntu log in and password there. Voidi's script asks for your username and password to the ksp store so that it can download ksp from there. Personally I think that part of it is overkill and confusing. People can download ksp manually, it's much simpler that way.

I'd recommend that you change your ubuntu password, just to be safe.

I admit this script is some overkill in automation. Anyway you can download and extract the Game manually and pass the extracted directory as Argument.

The entered login and password are used to login to the KSP Store and only if correct stored in the script itself.

But if you are a bit paranoid in security then change your ubuntu password.

If you are running something that needs admin privileges then yes it will ask, but KSP does not need them nor does the launcher, the installer should only need it for setting the binaries as executable.

Probably not a good enough question to be in this thread, but:

Is KSP able to run on a Linux VM? Because I kinda (Finally) got my Ubuntu VM working yesterday, and want to know if KSP runs on VMs like it runs on actual computers

It's not a bad question, but the answer is "maybe".

The trouble is that the graphics drivers in VM's are pants, VirtualBox for example supports up to Dx7 I think, and while they say they can access the Gfx hardware directly in practice it doesn't work very well.

Graphics features will often fail to work resulting in some ugly issues or prevent the whole game from working at all, when I tried to get KSP working in a Windows guest before we got a Linux version it just crashed at startup.

Everything else should be fine, but graphics drivers let the whole thing down.

You don't really need that installer file, it's just for patching the binary and a few other things, you can just unzip KSP to somewhere in your home folder, right click the KSP.x86 and make it executable in its properties tab, then use it to start the game.

If you want to patch the 64b binary just make a copy of the file first, open a terminal in the same folder as the KSP.x86_64 and copy/paste the lines from the memory/segfault fix.

You can manually add a menu entry for KSP easily enough using the normal menu editor, and just find a little pic of a Kerbal for it :)

OK... what if i bought KSP via steam? how do i bypass the login and make it do its magic on the copy i already have installed?

then -as written in the readme at github- put the script in the directory where steam installed the game and run the script without parameter, it should recognize it.

The script DOES NOT edit steam settings, therefore the script 'ksp_launch' and the Application starter are working but not integrated in steam.

To integrade in Steam: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/24529-The-Linux-compatibility-thread%21?p=1100766&viewfull=1#post1100766

I think it's normal for Ubuntu to ask for your password when using the terminal to run scripts or other types of things that alter files. At least it has been for me so far.

If you type "sudo" at the start of the command, it will ask for your password. If you didn't type sudo, don't type in your password.

Is KSP able to run on a Linux VM?

No, the performance will be horrible.

I've been enjoying lots of KSP time with tons of mods, but all of a sudden KSP started crashing on launch. The logs claim the system is out of memory.

[ERR 23:11:15.787] Could not allocate memory: System out of memory!
Trying to allocate: 5592408B with 32 alignment. MemoryLabel: Texture
Allocation happend at: Line:391 in
Memory overview

[ ALLOC_DEFAULT ] used: 188415676B | peak: 315850139B | reserved: 190834344B

[ ALLOC_GAMEOBJECT ] used: 4234301B | peak: 4234301B | reserved: 4465623B

[ ALLOC_GFX ] used: 497511976B | peak: 497876372B | reserved: 497571588B

[ ALLOC_PROFILER ] used: 86292B | peak: 86328B | reserved: 103071B

I'm watching with top, and it gets up to around 2.7G of reserved memory. It will keep loading a bit after this, although this is around the time in the logs where the game starts throwing errors. The log fills up with a repeated "[ERR <time>] Texture ' ' has no data" and the logfile itself grows to hundreds of megabytes in size. I just grew a 500MB logfile.

The system has 16GB of RAM. What could be going on?

EDIT: the following statements could be incorrect, but my mistakes shall be preserved for prosperity.

KSP.x86_64 is misleading, internally the unity engine stuff is only 32bit I'm afraid. Even though you have plenty of ram, ksp can't use all of it. Things might change when unity 5 comes rolling around.

Edited by Unit327
jumping to conclusions

I understand that there are some problems with this - for instance, the png lib that EVERY UPDATE must be patched by users. Otherwise, the game hard crashes at 3.6 or whatever GB.

This is not the same issue as I am referring to; the symptoms are very different.

In the past, I've seen around 4.5 GB of RAM in use, to clarify.

In the past, I've seen around 4.5 GB of RAM in use, to clarify.

In RES or VIRT (in top)? I'm pretty sure that much RES is impossible in any version of ksp/unity, but if you have a pic I'd love to be proven wrong.

KSP.x86_64 is misleading, internally the unity engine stuff is only 32bit I'm afraid. Even though you have plenty of ram, ksp can't use all of it. Things might change when unity 5 comes rolling around.

I doubt that this is true. But much more important: Higher RAM usage is only one of many advantages of 64-bit software, and for KSP only relevant if you really run excessive mods. Physics simulation may profit a lot from 64-bit support with less RAM as well.

Any idea what could be wrong when I get a black screen when starting KSP 0.23.5?

Things seemed fine on 0.23, but now when I start, I briefly see the squad logo, status messages about the first audio files being loaded, and then the screen goes black (or occasionally shows graphic glitches that look like static noise). I'm running Ubuntu 12.04, I have Ati Radeon 4870 graphics card, and I'm using the Ati legacy drivers.

From Player.log I see that KSP does some screen resolution change when the screen goes blank (I see the asset loading messages that appear before the change in the log on the screen also). I've been playing around with resolution and full screen settings, but they don't seem to fix the problem.

The KSP.x86_64 (0.23.5) dumps core on SIGABRT when I try to decouple the stage 2 of this rocket: http://yadi.sk/d/KGFgM7B3N2Wpz

The stack:

#0 0x00007fdcb8a3a037 in raise () from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6

#1 0x00007fdcb8a3d698 in abort () from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6

#2 0x00007fdcb53561ae in ?? () from /home/user/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program/KSP_Data/Mono/x86_64/libmono.so

#3 0x00007fdcb539392d in ?? () from /home/user/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program/KSP_Data/Mono/x86_64/libmono.so

#4 <signal handler called>

#5 0x0000000000799a0c in ?? ()

#6 0x0000000000c35009 in ?? ()

#7 0x0000000040c05ed0 in ?? ()

#8 0x0000000001c09af0 in ?? ()

#9 0x0000000001c099d8 in ?? ()

#10 0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()

It is not very informative, because debuginfo is missing.

The gzipped coredump: http://yadi.sk/d/KhNVWwUnN2WUp

Any suggestions how it is possible to work around this problem? Thanks in advance.

I doubt that this is true. But much more important: Higher RAM usage is only one of many advantages of 64-bit software, and for KSP only relevant if you really run excessive mods. Physics simulation may profit a lot from 64-bit support with less RAM as well.

You could be right, and I might be jumping to conclusions. There might be some bug in ksp that stops you using over a certain amount of ram, and it might not be a unity3d issue. As said, I'd love to see proof of KSP running with >4gb of ram (res not virt).

EDIT: yep, I'm wrong, this confirms it. I double checked on my own machine, yes, the gnome system monitor shows res not virt.

Physics simulations are all about floating point numbers, not integers, so they see no benefit from 64bit.

Edited by Unit327

The KSP.x86_64 (0.23.5) dumps core on SIGABRT when I try to decouple the stage 2 of this rocket: http://yadi.sk/d/KGFgM7B3N2Wpz

As far as I could find by trial and error, the core dump is triggered by the following parts: ladder1_4294720148 and ladder1_4294720106. If I remove them, the problem can no longer be reproduced. Could anyone please test if this is a linux specific problem or not?

mrabinovich, I bet it's that decoupler bug we're seeing in other threads in the Support section, it can be fixed by setting the physics significance of the new decoupler to zero, you'll need to edit the part.cfg :)

Does anybody have antialiasing work out of the box in KSP on Linux?

Here the options were without effect. But with the AMD driver, I could enable AA by enforcing it for all applications via the catalyst control center.

Now with the new Ubuntu, there is no more need for fglrx. With the free driver and MESA, I now run KSP with an environment variable enforcing AA:

GALLIUM_MSAA=8 ./KSP.x86_64

Gallium is the name of the open source 3D renderer. MSAA stands for multi-sample anti-aliasing.

Unfortunately not me Humptydump, I remember there was a serious issue with AMD drivers ages ago and AA had to be forceably disabled, while Nvidia AA died with a recent Unity update (4.1 I think)

You can force it via the driver itself, and set up a profile for KSP in your graphics cards own software but it won't work out of the box as far as I know.