The Linux compatibility thread!

I'm trying to find a balance between the performance of the game and the looks of the game on my cheapo laptop. I have a i3 2.5ghz cpu, and 8 gigs of ram, and I'm running the 64bit linux client on Mint 13 but I have low end built-in graphics. With everything (everything that I know of) turned down, the game runs ok, but doesn't look too good. What settings can I adjust to help balance out the game? Some of these settings, I have no clue what they even do :)

Probably the largest contributor to lag in KSP are the oceans, and you can only change those in the settings.cfg

Open the settings.cfg and search for "ocean" and for each result, change the maxSubdivision to 3 or less.

That should help a lot with lag :)

I'm running the Demo on Linux Mint 14 with an nvidia graphics card. The game is fine apart from the Space Center screen where the buildings are invisible...

SpaceCenter.jpg

Aside from that there are no graphical issues, other than I had to turn the settings all the way down to get it to run smoothly, but I guess that's my cheap PC more than anything.

I'm having some gamepad issues and I'm wondering if anyone has a better workaround.

I'm running Linux Mint 14 on a laptop using via KVM switch connected to an external monitor and USB keyboard. I'm also using a USB game pad. The problem was that the buttons on the game pad seemed to "bounce". For example, the button I used to activate the Map view would quickly bring up the Map view and then switch back to the staging view. If I hold the button, it would continuously switch back and forth.

When KSP started, it would show this:

/dev/input/js0: driver version: 2.1.0 (20100)
/dev/input/js0: fd 3, buttons 13, axes 6, name Nostromo Nostromo n45 Dual Analog Gamepad
/dev/input/js0: axis 0: raw 0, mapped 0.000000
/dev/input/js0: axis 1: raw 0, mapped 0.000000
/dev/input/js0: axis 2: raw 0, mapped 0.000000
/dev/input/js0: axis 3: raw 0, mapped 0.000000
/dev/input/js0: axis 4: raw 0, mapped 0.000000
/dev/input/js0: axis 5: raw 0, mapped 0.000000
/dev/input/js1: driver version: 2.1.0 (20100)
: Too many buttons; using buttons 0 - 19 and ignoring buttons 20 - 65
/dev/input/js1: fd 4, buttons 20, axes 0, name Logitech Logitech USB Keyboard

It seemed that KSP was recognizing both my keyboard and my gamepad as a joystick device. Using "evtest" I found out that this was a linux thing, my keyboard created two input devices one of which was being used by fancy buttons and was being interpreted as a joystick.

As a workaround I can simply unplug the USB KVM before starting KSP and then plug it back in once KSP is running. But that's a bit awkard and wouldn't work for someone without a seperate laptop keyboard. Is there an easier way to stop KSP from using this keyboard as a joystick device?

I'd have thought that card would be fine Crayola, try deleting the settings.cfg and starting KSP with "LC_ALL=C ./KSP.x86"

badpandabear, Unity3D's joystick support is pretty buggy, you can see in your log that it is only using buttons 0 to 19, that's a Unity limitation, and there's a bug where if you have more than one controller attached it makes setting them up confusing as the wrong controller gets selected.

If you set KSP up with the pad plugged in on it's own though, it should be okay even if the keyboard is plugged in later.

My problem is:

I don't can launch the ship, because every time I start the game,

astronaltas are already in space. Even excluding the game information can not

launch any ships because no matter what I do, the astronauts

are the space, even starting a new game.

Possible solutions tested(failled)

- Delete the entire game.

- Delete the game information (user)

- Reinstall Steam

Video of problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=W1hcN6gMZno

Same here, mouse scrolling doesn't work for me, or works in ways its not supposed to (scroll-zoom-in results in scroll-zoom-out sometimes, or not at all)

I had to register sooner or later, and this was a good time for a first post.

DorfKerbin, I have updated the opening post of this thread.

Thanks, Friendly Neighborhood Mod. Due to the nature of a 0.20 release (as good as it is already), it means instead of complaining (at all), I report, re-learn the alternate controls, and wait patiently. :)

Just wanted to report that, other than also experiencing the mouse scrolling problem, I couldn't get KSP to run full-screen at first. However, after loading 0.19.1, exiting, and starting 0.20, it now runs in full-screen. Go figure :)

Running the 0.19 must have (re-)set something somehow.

I haven't experienced any other problems so far.

I couldn't get KSP to run full-screen at first...

Same here. Not that I want it to run in full screen, but it didn't work when I tried. Possbily related: there used to be a window refresh between the splash screen and loading screen that no longer occurs in 0.20. This was a very useful feature for people running obscure layout hooks in their window managers. It allows a layout hook to activate and then the game would resize accordingly to the newly assigned area.

Interesting crash with 0.20. It was consistently crashing for me when unpausing. But only if the navball was up. If I close it before pausing, then resuming would be OK. This is in a fresh install, with no mods or anything else. First thing I tried was to run it with LC_ALL=C. I've only tested that once or twice, but so far it's looking like that makes it crash every time I unpause.

This machine has an Intel video card, but never had issues running 0.19 (apart from being kind of slow :) ). Running on 64 bit debian, so will be trying the 64 bit build next to see how that handles things. But curious to see if anybody else is experiencing this.

EDIT: First run of the 64 bit build, and I couldn't get the crash pausing half a dozen times while my craft was on the ground. But it did die on pause/unpause a couple of minutes in to a flight. Very odd. When I'm in front of my home PC I'll give it another crack on a supported video card.

EDIT 2: Coming back to my PC at home with a new ATI card and latest proprietary drivers, I can't replicate the crashing. Looks like it might just be an Intel driver problem. Ah well.

Edited by stibbons

I'm running KSP on my Linux Mint 14 box, and 0.19 ran with no problems. After the 0.20 update, KSP hung on the load screen, but that was probably just incompatible mods, as a delete of .local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program and a re-install fixed that.

Now, however, The game ctd every time the new loading icon appears (at least I think it's new, I could just be blind O.o), so thats on game load, new game, options menu etc. LC_ALL=C ./KSP.x86 had no effect, and neither did running as root. Any ideas?

I'm new to KSP Linux! I've been dual booting Ubuntu for a while, but finally gave up on my Windows partition. .20 is the first time I've tried KSP on Linux.

I ran it (32bit, though my system is 64) and was having some trouble with the graphics, occasionally parts would briefly turn transparent. I was using the default nouveau graphics card driver for my NVidia GeForce 8600. I tried switching to one of the proprietary drivers, but it seemed to slow my game to a crawl (graphics were fine though).

Any tips as to which one I should be using?

driveroptions.png

Also any other tips for getting KSP to run well under Ubuntu would be appreciated :-)

Also any other tips for getting KSP to run well under Ubuntu would be appreciated :-)

I run it with the 64bit client on a laptop, using Linux Mint. Being on a laptop, I have no choice but to run it with the X server driver and it's fine for me. I have heard that a better graphics card does make the game look better, but I have no complaints with my visuals. I have also heard people say that the 64bit client is buggy, but again, I've had no issues with it. Other than the new mouse scroll bug in the update, I couldn't be happier. (Not going to run 0.20 until that is fixed and the mods all catch up)

Hi,

I'm adding 2 segfault issues, because I think they might play a part in the future since both distros metioned (archlinux and gentoo) are fairly upstream centric,

and maybe some unoffical linux guru can point one in the right direction.

Both describe a segfault more or less right after resource loading.

http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/534 [0.19] <- this is some other guys report

http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/684 [0.20] <- this has been closed on me

Edit1: might be a mesa bug https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=64913

Edited by birdspider
found more info

Hey! I'm new here.

I registered so I could post this question...

Is there an alternate way to scroll / zoom so Linux users can still play the game?

Yes. Using the number pad. + and - zooms in and out. You can also disable NumLock and use the number pad arrows for camera controls. I think 9 and 3 pan up and down in the VAB.

Not sure if it is appropriate place to post bug reports, but I couldn't find better one, so:

KSP-0.20 crashes after I start new game (enter name, choose flag, pres "Start"). After few moments game exits and I see the following in the console, that started the game:

Set current directory to /mnt/delta/Games/KSP_linux

Found path: /mnt/delta/Games/KSP_linux/KSP.x86_64

Mono path[0] = '/mnt/delta/Games/KSP_linux/KSP_Data/Managed'

Mono path[1] = '/mnt/delta/Games/KSP_linux/KSP_Data/Mono'

Mono config path = '/mnt/delta/Games/KSP_linux/KSP_Data/Mono/etc'

Aborted (core dumped)

I have Mobility Radeon HD 5450 with OSS drivers. OS is Ubuntu 13.04. KSP install is a fresh one (deleted old KSP directory and unzipped 0.20 distribution). KSP-0.19.1 worked fine.

Can I help debugging this issue?